intensetothenth is offline New Member

dazed and confused........what is the best technique for benching...??

I have seen so many different techniques used for the flat bench, i'm confused as to which one is the best. I know powerlifters always bench w/ their back suppinated, and their feet on the floor for extra power. But, is that the technique that i should be using for bodybuilding as well..........?? Thanks in advance for any help w/ this issue.

No you do not wanna bench like a powerlifter if your going for anything other then power. Bodybuilding and powerlifting are two totally different things. I'm a powerlifter, depending on what your goals are. If your going for a fuller more complete upper body you want to do everything slow and feel every single rep. Whereas with powerlifting you dont really squeeze and contract as much its just one motion to get the weight to the top..

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    I would still use the same form as a pler.

inheritmylife is offline Anabolic Member
    IMO most powerlifters use better form than bbs. In powerlifting the bar needs to pause in the bottom position to get green lights. I seldom see most "bodybuilders" doing that.

I guess my question should have been, is it better on the flat bench, to lift w/ your feet in the air, or similiar to the powerlifting style of keeping your feet on the floor?

Latimus is offline Banned
    dont take your feet off the floor...shoulderblades down and together...you want to be very stable...

Jock191 is offline Associate Member
    Ok what your gonna wanna do is keep your feet flat on the floor, keep your back down on the bench.. Ive seen alot of guys while lifting press with the feet on the floor so there hips and Butt come off the bench DO NOT DO THIS... Also DONT bounce the bar off your chest Also very very very bad thing to do. Nice smooth controled motion.. Thats would bodybuilding is all about. Control... IF you have to push hard on the floor with your feet and your getting all sloppy your using to much weight.

I appreciate the advice guys...........thanks for the quick responses.

I appreciate the advice guys...........thanks for the quick responses.

MrDezel is offline Banned
    A good thing to mentally get you benching good for body building is the fact that you're not trying to bench the absolute most but rather develop your chest. Proper form with a weight you can handle is a hell of a lot more beneficial to getting a full chest compared to a sloppy lift where ur hips are so high off the bench that you can fit a medicine ball underneath you.

Another good thing to remeber when benching is to look to Arnold. Never once have you heard anyone said he did sooo much weight when benching and he has what many would consider the best chest of all time.

Thread Information