El Diablo is offline Banned

Running or walking better for burning fat?

I was curious, is it more effective to run 45 min on an empty stomach, or walk 45 minutes on an empty stomach? (trying to lower bf)

Testsubject is offline Anabolic Member
    I would say running better b/c it brings your heart rate up better, and burns more calories which is what you want for losing fat. When I do cardio its always running, it works alot better IMO.

tslz71 is offline New Member
    Ive heard walking is better....if you were to run 1 mile in 7 min then your heart rate would be up for only 7 min., but if you walked one mile in 18 min then your heart rate would be up for more than twice as long....and i think that the fat burning heart rate zone is at a level of a brisk walk....when you run its more cardio than fat.

Sorken is offline Member
    if you are going to do it in the morning.. walk.. running will burn to much muscles!
    But if its not in the morning.. running is good.. but i still think walking will burn more !

Elliot is offline Anabolic Member
    running on empty = loss of muscle mass..

oh yeah and running is an anaerobic activity not a aerobic one..

Latimus is offline Banned
    running is great cardio..but walking burns more fat...

Jock191 is offline Associate Member
    I swear I just went over this lol but here I go again Just b/c you are doing cardio doesnt mean your gonna lose any muscle at all, yeah if your diet sucks and your not getting enough protien then you might lose alittle.. But heres the thing if your jogging and you cant hold a convo. then your going alittle to hard thats where you start to burn muscle b/c your turning an aerobic exercise into an anaerobic one which you do not wanna do.. Aerobic calories burn fat as your body breathes in oxygen. Low-intensity activities up to and including walking are mainly fat burning. However, as your body's need for energy becomes greater than your rate of oxygen intake, your body begins burning anaerobic calories. Anaerobic calories burn glucose by converting a starch stored in your muscles known as glycogen. Since this doesn't require oxygen, anaerobic calories are used in very strenuous activities for short periods. So with that said The only way your gonna burn muscle by doing cardio is by doing Anaerobic cardio like running really hard not being able to hold a convo while doing it.. Try getting on a treadmill and setting the incline to 15 and walk at a pace of 2.2 or 2.5 that will burn A LOT of calories and you don’t have to worry about burning muscle… SO in conclusion you can run on an empty stomach as long as your not totally out of breath if you can still talk your fine.. Dont worry about lossing muscle its not gonna happen yeah if your doing like 90% of your max heart rate you will FIRST burn fat then you will start to burn muscle... You will burn more calories with running AS LONG AS YOU CAN STILL BREATH you like I said b4 dont have to worry about lossing muscle... BUT try what I said b4 Walk for like 45 min at about 2.5 at a full incline..

Thread Information