ScottyDog is offline Junior Member

When should I be sore?

Why is it that the time it take my body to become sore from working out fluctuates? I workout pretty much the same time of day, between 8 and 10 pm, and I'm either sore the next morning as soon as I wake up or roughly 20 hours later. For instance, if the night before I worked on chest and tri's, if I'm not sore as soon as I wake up, I never feel sore until about 3pm. If the latter is the case, regular as clockwork, my chest and tri's would start stiffening and becoming sore at around 3pm.

Is the time is takes my body to become sore from working out a guage for the effectiveness of my previous workout?

Thx,

-ScottyDog

Jock191 is offline Associate Member
    I dont know about why our soreness flucuates but I can tell you for sure that just b/c your sore or not sore is NO way to tell if your work out was effectiveness or not... Hell I bench 325 for reps of 8 on my last set and I squat 500 and I rarely get sore ne more and I know for **** sure that they are good workouts. So no Dont use soreness to get your workout bc you might not get sore..

Yeah, I've had more than a few instances where I worked out hard, but never became sore afterwards. Correct me if I'm wrong though, but from what I remember, Soreness comes from a buildup of lactic acid, which is the result of micro tears in muscle fibers caused by working out.

I may be way off base, but that's the theory I was taught.

longhornDr is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottyDog
    Yeah, I've had more than a few instances where I worked out hard, but never became sore afterwards. Correct me if I'm wrong though, but from what I remember, Soreness comes from a buildup of lactic acid, which is the result of micro tears in muscle fibers caused by working out.

I may be way off base, but that's the theory I was taught.
    Nobody really knows what causes delayed onset soreness, microtrauma is the most often quoted theory but it is not entirely satisfactory.

Lactic acid only causes a transient pain, not really a soreness, and only last for several seconds.

jbigdog69 is offline Banned
    I think yours is probably #4

Here are just some of the reasons why people fail in their weight lifting program:

1. No consistency .

You have to be consistent with your weight lifting program. I'm not going to lie to you, building muscle is hard work and it will take consistency to build quality muscle.

Remember that building muscle is a slow process and takes months to see any quality results. This is an important weight lifting tip, be consistent and your efforts will eventually pay off.

2. Poor nutritional habits .

You have to feed your body the right amount of calories, protein, carbohydrates and fat in order for it to grow. All of these nutrients must be in balance if you ever want to build muscle.

Don't let anyone tell you that you only need protein to build muscle. Protein is only 1/3 of the equation to building muscle regardless of what supplement companies may tell you.

The real trick to building muscle is finding your personal nutritional combination that will unleash your muscle building fury. Once you find this nutritional key, I guarantee your body will explode! This is a very important weight lifting tip.

3. Poor weight lifting techniques .

If you don't work the muscle, your not going to grow. If you overtrain the muscle, your not going to grow. The trick is to find a happy medium that places enough stress on the muscle in order for it to grow. This is where smart weight lifting comes into play.

For more information on proper weight lifting techniques, please see Building-muscle101's weight lifting exercises.

4. Not enough rest .

No matter how hard you train or how much you eat, if you don't get the rest you need, your workouts are going to fizzle. It is during sleep that most growth and repair occurs. Without adequate sleep the body becomes weakened.

This is an important weight lifting tip. It is crucial to your muscle building program that you get the correct amount of sleep because muscle growth happens while you are resting, not while you are training.

If you were to lift weights on a steady basis and not get any quality rest,your body would slowly fall apart.

Weight lifting tears the muscle tissue down and the diet provides the necessary fuel and material for repair, but it is during sleep that the repair and growth process occurs. Therefore, sleep is as vital to building muscle as is your training program and diet.

To achieve your muscle building goals, your going to have to find the right balance between weight lifting, nutrition, and rest. Remember this weight lifting tip, get enough rest in order to build muscle .

Here are some very important muscle building and weight lifting tips that you will want to include in your muscle building program.

Great info guys, thx!

ImmmtheIceman is offline Senior Member
    J big dog put it well...also as far as soreness goes sometiems I wont be as sore the day after a workout but really feel it 2 days after. The human body is real tough to understand!

Thread Information