Thread: Too much water?

ScottyDog is offline Junior Member

Too much water?

Forgive me if this question comes off as a little noob.

Like most everyone else who works out and uses this board, I drink a lot of water throughout the day. I myself drink close to in not 1 gallon a day. I read from other posts that others drink as much as 2-3 gallons a day! Obviously thirst is not a good indicator of hydration(by the time your thirsty, you're already dehydrated.), but from what I remember from science class in school was that as long as your pee was clear, you're well hydrated.

That beign said, my question is this:

Would I really benefit from drinking more water? Even if my body appears to be hydrated enough? Or, can you simply never drink too much water when training?

Mr. Death is offline Senior Member
    There is such a thing as too much water. The standard is to drink at least a gallon of water a day. You can adjust the amount of water you take in daily as you become more advanced, and understand how much your body needs for your specific goals.

ross3814 is offline Member
    some kid at umass actually died last year cause he drank too much water.

LeanMeOut is offline Community Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by ross3814
    some kid at umass actually died last year cause he drank too much water.

Yea he also chugged 3 gallons all at one time! as part of a bet or something or initiation. He drowned his system in water and depleted his brain of sodium or something I forget the exact cause. Just don't go downing a gallon of water in 5 minutes and you will be fine. I personally only weigh 170 pounds and I drink 2 - 2.5 gallons a day with no problems at all.

Mike

PoPpaPaQ Guest
    lbs and oz's needed to hydrate

115 - 80 oz.
    125 - 88 oz.
    150 - 92 oz.
    175 - 100 oz.
    200 - 106 oz.

just to give you an idea on the minimal amount of water you actually need to hydrate yourself, keep in mind this isnt exatcly for a bodybuilder, but for someone who participates in "Strenuous Activity"..

i drink about a gallon, and i fall between 160 - 175

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LeanMeOut
    Yea he also chugged 3 gallons all at one time! as part of a bet or something or initiation. He drowned his system in water and depleted his brain of sodium or something I forget the exact cause. Just don't go downing a gallon of water in 5 minutes and you will be fine. I personally only weigh 170 pounds and I drink 2 - 2.5 gallons a day with no problems at all.

Mike
    About 10 minutes before I had to cut my water for comp, i think i chugged a gal of water in 10 min, pretty frickin hard to do.

Normally though ,I wouldn't go below a gallon per day.

Trying2Gain is offline Junior Member
    Ya there was a kid down here that goes to SMU that almost died from drinking to much water. The simple explination in his case was that he drank so much water that he began to have problems with electro lights in his brain. Then intern started to have brain function problems.

Thread Information