fabry is offline Senior Member

5x5 correct technique, please advices!

im looking for this technique but gettin confused coz heard about different way to do it..
    what is the weight to use?
    2 ideas:
    -the right weight to complete first 5 reps alone and for the others try to make them alone or ask for help to complete them.
    following week, increase weight of about 5-8 lbs and try to do same job.
    - choose a weignt that is right for 8 reps and try fo finish all the 5 sets alone.
    followiin week, increase weight, etc etc
    other questions:
    - what about the second exercics? isolation or another heavy excercise? and what about sets and reps for this second excercice?
    - rest time between sets?

do me a favour, make me an exemple for pecs and triceps...

thanks guys!!!

PoPpaPaQ Guest
    what are your goals? you want to be stronger, or better build ?

im gonna train some muscles for strength and some for mass cos now, im on a cycle, i'm growing "too much" in pecs, tris and bis so i just want to increase their strength.
    and i will continue to train the others for size, mass, however u call it!
    thanks

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    You train some parts for strength and others for mass?

Ask yourself if your goals are more along those of a PLer or BBer and that will narrow down your choices for what split to use.

yes and no!
    i just want to continue to grow in my legs, calves and shoulder coz ive reached a point where if i continue to train like this (and grow like this) i will be lookin like a funny guy soon: very big in the upper part and "funny" in the llower part.
    i just need to "slow" gains in the upper part! the alternative is to stop or reduce training in the "easy" bodypart, but i dont want to loose strength.
    that's why i would like to do different trainings for diffferent parts!
    or u can suggest me how to grow more in legs than in pecs and arms...
    hope u get my point!
    if i continue to train all muscle with same intensity, i wont be happuy!
    Last edited by fabry; 03-26-2004 at 04:54 PM.

bump

will i get the answer for my question... one day?
    please, i should start tomorow

phreezer is offline Respected Member
    ---5X5--- Monday: Squats, Benching, Rows Weds: Squats, Military Presses, Deadlifts, Chins Friday: Squats, Benching, Rows courtesy of bill starr bill starr, the greatest strength coach who ever lived, popularized this in the 70's with his great book, the strongest shall survive, which was aimed at strength training for football. i believe he had essentually two different programs which both are 5 sets of 5, the first, which is more suitable for beginners, is to simply do 5 sets of 5 with similar weight jumps between each set so that your last set is your top weight. when you get all 5 on the last set, bump all your weights up 5 or 10lbs. example for squat... 185 for 5, 225 for 5, 275 for 5, 315 for 5, 365 for 5. if you get 365 for 5, move all weights up. this is especially good for someone who is just learning a particular exercise like the squat, because the amount of practice with light but increasing weights is a good way to practice form. for more advanced lifters, he advocated a warmup, then 5 sets of 5 with a set weight, for example, the same athlete used in the other example may do 135 for 5, 185 for 5, 225 for 3, 275 for 2, 315 for 1, then 350 for 5 sets of 5. when successfull with all 25 reps at 350lbs, bump the weight up the next workout by 5 or 10lbs. this is not outdated, and is a good program for gaining strength. many elite athletes still use it during at least part of the year. i in fact do 5 sets of 5 on squatting for 4 weeks as part of an 8 or 10 week training cycle. personally, when i do it 3 times a week, but most people will probably make better progress doing it 2 times per week, or even doing version 1 once a week, and version 2 once a week. it is a tough program. by the way are you doing the exact same workout every time or are you varying the weight a bit--- this might work fine for a while with the same weight every time but eventually you will ahve to vary things a bit between workouts. in any event i described a system in a post a while back that goes something like this... monday use the heaviest weight you can for all 5 sets (same weight each set)---- in other words when you get all 5 sets of 5 reps up the weight (most workouts you will get 3 or 4 sets of 5- adn maybe your last one will be for 3 or 4 reps) wednesday use 10-20% less weight- in other words if you used 200lbs on monday use 160-180lbs on wednesday- actuall amount depending on your recovery friday work up to a max set of 5- in other words lets say that your best ever set of 5 is 215lbs and you used 200lbs on monday for 5 sets and 170lbs on wednesday- on friday your workout might be like this 95 for 5 135 for 5 175 for 5 200 for 5 then attempt 220 for your last set of 5 this tends to work better as a long term program than doing the same thing 3 times a week on exercises where you only do them once a week like deadlift you can just do the 5 sets of 5 like i described on monday on exercises that you are only doing twice (rows) you could do both exercises like the monday workout or lighten one of them depending on your recovery ability .. by the way- be conservative with the weight when you start- that is important also i have used this program VERY often with athletes and it IS result producing- however many of your gains will show up after you use it for 4-6 weeks and you switch to training a bit less frequently and lower the reps and volume however this is one program i have had a LOT of success with in fact i rarely if ever use it with athletes who are at the top of their weight class because it causes too much weight gain unless you severely restrict your food.

Thread Information