Thread: leg curls

Kato is offline Member

leg curls

i'm doin leg curls on a flat bench. i keep my feet at a 90 degree angle when i curl. why is it when i pull my toes toward my shin i can do a far amount of more weight and reps? what is the correct way. or are both of these methods effective? thansk

sepjuice is offline Anabolic Member
    i dont really think it matters,maybe pointing your toes provides symmetrical tension via leg curls so u can do more,ive never heard anything about the direction of your toes being faulty....i do them the same way..

brad fuel is offline Junior Member
    slight stretching of a mucsle will result in more force and contraction within that muscle. So when you're dorsi flexing your feet, you're stretching your calf. Your calf muscle crosses the joint of the knee, so yo'ure probably brining it into play.

Mu'min is offline Associate Member
    I read an article in MD that agrees with brad fuel. When you contract the tibias anterior, the gastronemious of the calf muscle gets brought into the lift. To completely isolate the hamstrings keep your calves and tibias anterior relaxed. What I do is keep them relaxed for the majority of the exercise until I can no longer lift. Then I involve my calves to crank out a couple more reps.

brad fuel is offline Junior Member
    It might be hard just to mentally keep your gastroc relaxed... what you can do is point your feet down (plantar flexion) so your gastroc is already contracted. Then it won't help your in your leg curls as much.
    but i warn you, if you're doing a pretty intense weight (whatever it might be for you) your calf might start cramp up. I know my calves tend to cramp more easily than other muscles of mine.

Thread Information