Thread: Solo Workouts

Fooboy is offline Associate Member

Question Solo Workouts

Hello all,
    I just joined 24 Hour Fitness and I have no regular workout partner. I also have no money to hire a personal trainer. Spots and guidance are becoming an issue on the free weights so I basically do what I can on those (bench, incline bench, db presses, etc.) I spend the majority of my workout on the machines. Would this routine be sufficient? I try to spot out some regulars but I go at different times of the the day everyday because of school so a regular partner would be near impossible. Basically what I'm asking is, would the routine that I'm currently using be good enough?

thnx!

foobs

RoNNy THe BuLL is offline Anabolic Member
    Yes, it would be sufficient. No worries man, you'll be fine on your own. I rarely train with a partner and I'm fine. You'll be aight brah.

Lostsoul is offline Associate Member
    i hate training with other people, i train a lot better on my own, more intense, no one annoying me all the time, i dont bother with spots anyway, cuz i just do as much as i can then stop, but that only applies to bench pressing stuff, the rest i dont need spotters for.

DBarcelo is offline Senior Member
    I don't like working out with other people either. I have a smith machine at home, so I don't have to worry about a spot. If your gym has a smith, you can take some of the risk out of working out alone.

DoubleHelix is offline Junior Member
    sure a smith is a safer way but is way less effective. Not to mention for squats its horrible for your spine. I'd say try and do your big heavy exercises if you can get a spot but dont go too heavy if you dont have one. And don't only do smith because its waayy less effective.

dangit is offline Member
    I train alone all the time and it works out for me. I tend to use dumbells instead of barbells.

So if I train chest, then I'll do incline dumbell presses. So if I can't lift anymore, I can just drop the weight.

I also do drop sets on most sets so that I can push to my full potential without a spotter.

It's only on leg days that I wouldn't mind having a spotter, but I always do squats in a squat rack so that if I loose it, then I won't kill myself and when doing leg presses... if you end up loosing it, then you can push with your arms or just drop the thing on the stoppers.

gretak911 is offline New Member

Smile

The power cage is your friend.

decadbal is offline Banned
    smith machine isnt that bad, and it works well, workin out on your on youll find out over time what to use and how to set up to go heavy, ive never used a workout partner, to much talk, to much changin wt, to much waitin on them..

asiancuts is offline Associate Member
    due to my irregular schedule, i too train alone much of the time. definitely more intense. i put on some good music and get into the zone. some people are surprised when they talk to me and find out im a nice guy, they always seem to think im an @ss hole because i look so freaking angry when i train.

Grant is offline Member
    same here

Testsubject is offline Anabolic Member
    I ALWAYS train with a partner but its hard to find someone who has the same goals as you. Youll be find with out a partner bro, i didnt train with one for 2 years and i was ok.

sepjuice is offline Anabolic Member
    i find having some of your own favorite music blasting into your ears is a good enough partner, if u need a spot just ask, cause there's only some exercises u need them for i take it, invest into a cd player or whatever, maybe make things a lil better for ya (did for me,love it!)

ImmmtheIceman is offline Senior Member
    Ask for a spot when you need, but most of the time youll be fine

MrDezel is offline Banned
    The staff at the gym should be more then happy to give you a spot. If not then just go to dumbbells. I have to agree that I do my best when I'm alone. Never really had a work out partner untill recently but he just left for the Marines yesterday so looks like I gotta dust off the discman and go back to haveing Mudvayne be my spoter.

Thread Information