se11 is offline Associate Member

Pain in forearm when doing barbel curls

When I was doing curls the other day i felt a really sharp pain in my forearm, around the bone. can anyone tell me whatever they know about this? thanks

Testsubject is offline Anabolic Member
    Man i get the same thing my forearms feel like theyre going to snap when I do heavy BB curls and for a little while after as well. I couldnt tell you what the problem is though. I think its just the strain on your forearm from pulling up the heavy weight.

its weird because they feel fine when doing dumbless curls

gretak911 is offline New Member
    I get the same thing. It hurts even more if I let go of the bar really fast after my set. One thing that I've found that helps me is to use a standard bar instead of the EZ curl bar.

nsa
    nsa is offline King of Supplements
    It could be the begining of a stress fracture or tendonitis, my freind used to complain about the same thing and he ended up getting a stress fracture in his forearm.

cwhid is offline Junior Member
    Unless its a pain thats so bad that you can't do barbell curls, I would say its completely normal. When I first started doing them, I remember it hurting like a b!tch, and I still feel it though I have become used to it. Ive heard so many people mention this before, I wouldnt worry too much about it unless it gets worse. Look at my quote and that should summarize my opinion.

DARKSEID is offline Senior Member
    the straight bar puts alot of pressure on the wrists and forearms because of the position your putting them in to hold it, your basically twisting them to hold it. The natural position of the hands is with palms in.

fabry is offline Senior Member
    could be a begin of "tendonitis" (hope this is correct term).
    i had same thing years ago and didnt care about it... dont do same stupid choice!
    i couldnt train for weeks!!!
    switch to ez bar and if it continues, try with hammer curls. last chance for bicep training, reverse grip pull/chin up, like u'd train back, but with a closer grip and palm lookin your face!
    stop... STOP barbell curls!!!

cb25 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DARKSEID
    the straight bar puts alot of pressure on the wrists and forearms because of the position your putting them in to hold it, your basically twisting them to hold it. The natural position of the hands is with palms in.
    this is the problem IMO...try using an EZcurl bar - it should take the pressure off your wrists.

trying to tough it out will do more harm than good...find something that doesn't hurt.

Swellin Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DARKSEID
    Like cb25, I also think this is your answer. Barbell curls are a fantastic bicep exercise, so I would try and stick with them. Experiment with your grip to find a more comfortable way to do them. I moved my hands a little wider and it really helped take the stress off my forearms.

Sage is offline Anabolic Member
    BB curl is a bice builder, but it completely destroys my wrists so at times if its that bad i use straps for a softer and fuller grip. Goes easier on my wrists.

the same thing still happens when i use an EZ Curl bar too, but its still fine when I do dumbells

mcnst01 is offline Associate Member
    I find that when my forearms hurt during bicep training I don't grab/squeez the bar/dumbell so tight. It takes ome of the presure off yout forearm.

captain anabolic is offline Junior Member
    Hey Bro,
    I have never had a problem with this.
    keep at it over time your wrist will build up no more pain. Remember that the wrist forearm muscle does not rest as often as the other muscles.

Example: even though you may be taking a day off from chest/bis you are still using the muscle to grip the weights on your back/ tri day.

Give the muscle time to rest and grow also start doin' excercises that strengthen the hands and wrist. Iron Mind inc. has a great book called "The Mastery of hand strength"

Take Care,
    Captain Anabolic

Thread Information