Terinox is offline The One & Only

Working out the back ... ?

Hi guys,

Today in the gym me and my friend kinda got in a small dispute about the back. They wanted to do more exercises for the back, but mainly lats, because...well we all want that nice V look!!!

So far, we do seated rowing, pulldown, one arm cable rows, and a lower back machine (sit down, push pad with your back, to about 45degree angle, and back up). And sometimes deadlifts.

Anyways, we started talking, and they kept saying that they aren't really feeling the burn in their lats, and I said that the seated row is great for the lats, and they disagree. They say that it's mostly for the middle of your back, not your lats? Are they right? Am I WRONG? They also said that the best exercise for the lats is the pulldown??? Is this also true? When I do seated row, I can really feel the burn in my lats.

Either way, I was wondering which exercises give you the best lat burn?? I already have fairly nice lats, they stick out nice, but I want to make them even bigger. I heard one guy talking in the gym and saying to his friend that doing the pulldown, in the front (bringing it down to your chest) is the best for your lats.

Help plz, let me know what I need to know

Terinox

GenuinePL is offline Senior Member
    Pulldowns and seated rows both work lats. When you do pulldowns do them in the front not behind your neck, when you do them behind you could mess up your shoulders.

KeyMastur is offline VET
    start doing wide grip pulls up....that's what i've been into for the past few years. kinda hard once you first get started, but works my shit great. i do 3 sets til failure, then 3 isometric sets...then head over the the close grip pull down machine, same thing, then hit some cable low rows, some front pull downs (keep your arms straight, start about eye level, pull down to your pecker)

Ironweb is offline Member
    Sounds like some good advise being given. Pull downs with the widest bar you can find. Then take the widest grip you can and pull down to the top of your chest. Also do not rock and allow the gravity to pull your weight down. Use negitives and let the weight down slow. That will give ya a burn.

That's great guys, helps alot, and i'm gonna give them a try

Terinox

dane26 is offline Retired Moderator
    seated rows hit different parts of the back depending on where you pull to. if you pull low, it's more lats. if you pull high, then it's more traps.
    as for the best lat exercise....chins, no contest

That does make sense, but one thing I don't understand is this:

I've seen many different people dot he seated row, and some people, when they are doing, they lean forward quite a bit, almost back to starting position, and then pull in, while they are moving their whole back (upperbody) backwards. I've seen other people (including myself) keep their back perfectly straight, and when I lower the weight (extending cable), I let my arms stretch forward as much as they will go, but I don't move my back. I keep my back perfectly straight throughout the whole exercie. And finally, I've seen where people have their backs bent backwards, almost at a 45-60 degree angle, and they do the exercise that way. Which one is correct? When I don't move my back, and keep it straight, I do feel the burn, I can feel the lats stretching.

I'm not sure which way is correct. Plz help.

Thnx
    Terinox

Dbolaholic is offline Junior Member
    Pull ups and bent over rows are KING!

Lardyass is offline Junior Member
    Why not try the lats pulldowns + low pulley cables then add a couple of sets of bent over barbell rows.

You will have pre-exhusted your lats and by using an under hand wide grip, your lats will fail before the other muscles involve. It should give you an excellent deep pump!

Thread Information