cehon is offline New Member

need some neck exercises

I used to have a neck machine at my old gym at home. Now I lift at a 90 million dollar facility at my school and they have everything you can imagine, and absolutly nothing for your neck. So I was wondering if you guys could hook me up with some neck exercises. Thanks

RON
    RON is offline Anabolic Member
    there those straps that go around your head and you hang weights from. Or you can have your partner apply pressure and work against it, both up and down....and side to side. Used both of those when I played football.

bex
    bex is offline Banned
    Lay on a bench with your head hanging off. Hold a plate on your forehead raise you head like you are nodding..Then you can do the same on your side and laying on your front..

sp33dg33k is offline Member
    Originally posted by Diesel
    When I wrestled, I would lay of my back and do neck bridges....great flexability and strength exercise.
    what is a neck bridge diesel?

Tobey is offline Retired IRON CHEF Mod

Neck Bridges

There easy. Lay on your back with your legs bent and both feet flat on the floor. Now raise up onto the top of your head bringing your back off the floor making it arch. These are really good for streaching the neck muscle thus causeing them less cahnce of injury. I'm pretty sure that this is what Diesel was talking about.

Your traps are deffintely going to need to come into play here. You can also try shoulder shrugs with a barbell or my favorite with dumbells. This is another good one. Place a light amount of weight on the Smith Machine so you can get a good "feel" for the excersise. You can increase the weight with each set if you want. OK lower the bar until it is about waist height. Step in front of the bar with the bar BEHIND you. Now grasp the bar with both hands. Your palms should be facing away from you at this point. Now lift the bar up untilyour elbows are as close to being horizontal with your shoulders as you can. Lower the bar. With each rep flex your traps at the apex of the movement. You'll get a burn in the traps and they will really get pumped!
    IC

Tobey is offline Retired IRON CHEF Mod
    Here's another one, but it really hits more toward the middle of your back than anything BUT it can really help in the seperation of the traps and the back muscles. Sit on a peck deck but instead of sitting on it the normal way you would for butterfly's turn around and straddle the set. Your chest should be up against the back rest of the set. Adjust the arms of the machine so that they will be turned in as close to the machine as possible. You will really have to lower the weight on these excessies. Now grasp the bars, and pull the arms of the machine out ontil both of your arms are outstreached to the side. It is kinda of like working out on the peck deck but in reverse. You will feel it somewhat in your triceps but mostly in your upper back. I'm not sure what they are called. Hope this is not to confusing.
    IC

sp33dg33k is offline Member

Thumbs up

Thx Tobey.

Thread Information