Naturallyfunny is offline New Member

hitting the inside head of the tri's

What exercises hit the inside head of the tri??? ( i mean the one nearest ur lats)??
    Mine sure are lagging .... any info would be great

Dude-Man is offline Anabolic Member
    heavy weighted dips are the best.

MMC78 is offline Senior Member
    Pressing movements hit the outer head the hardest.

If you're looking to build the long head of the triceps, any overhead tricep extension will work. Make sure to get a full range of motion, going as far down as possible.

Powrlftr is offline Associate Member
    I may get flamed for posting this but .... heavy bent-arm crossbench dumbbell pullovers using a grip with your hands flat on the plates.

This really targets the inner head like nothing else I've ever done.

cpt steele is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Powrlftr
    I may get flamed for posting this but .... heavy bent-arm crossbench dumbbell pullovers using a grip with your hands flat on the plates.

This really targets the inner head like nothing else I've ever done.
    What is this?

Tribex is offline Associate Member
    Bro, no matter what joe weider tells you in his magazines, you can not isolate one part of a muscle. Muscles contract in an all-or-nothing principle, so no matter what ur doing, your workin your WHOLE tricep. Some excersizes you feel more in different places because its a neurological sensation, neurons are firing in that region, most likely do to impingement, so you feel more of a burn there. Just keep good form, slow movement, and heavy weight, and you'll develop fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Tribex
    Bro, no matter what joe weider tells you in his magazines, you can not isolate one part of a muscle. Muscles contract in an all-or-nothing principle, so no matter what ur doing, your workin your WHOLE tricep. Some excersizes you feel more in different places because its a neurological sensation, neurons are firing in that region, most likely do to impingement, so you feel more of a burn there. Just keep good form, slow movement, and heavy weight, and you'll develop fine.
    This is probably the case with a single muscle (and it's still being debated), but it is not the case for your triceps. Different heads are more or less active depending on the position of the arm relative to the body.

http://www.exrx.net/Muscles/TricepsBrachii.html

Quote Originally Posted by MMC78
    This is probably the case with a single muscle (and it's still being debated), but it is not the case for your triceps. Different heads are more or less active depending on the position of the arm relative to the body.

http://www.exrx.net/Muscles/TricepsBrachii.html
    Its not being debated man, I am a cert. trainer, and this info has been tried and true, you can not isolate one muscle out of a muscle complex, like the triceps or quads, its all gym myth. Most dont want to believe it, but to each his own. You can not change the genetic shape of ur muscles, only alter the size and development. If you could, you would be able to flex only one head of ur bicep, you'd be able to flex only the vastuc lateralis, and that aint happening...

Powrlftr is offline Associate Member
    Its not being debated man, I am a cert. trainer, and this info has been tried and true, you can not isolate one muscle out of a muscle complex, like the triceps or quads, its all gym myth. Most dont want to believe it, but to each his own. You can not change the genetic shape of ur muscles, only alter the size and development. If you could, you would be able to flex only one head of ur bicep, you'd be able to flex only the vastuc lateralis, and that aint happening...
    Well I'm a certified gym rat, and I know you can from experience.

I used to do my deadlifts sumo style and I had really developed inner thighs, but it eventually was hurting my bad knee too much so I switched to traditional style (with a loss of 100 lbs on my max). Now after several months I've lost the excessive inner thigh development.

I used to have much more development in the inner head of my tri's from doing pullovers for years. I haven't done them in several years and my tri development is very different. From powerlifting my tri's are now very thick around the elbows and the inner head isn't as full or sweeping.

I read the article that you are misinterpreting here .... that article basically said you couldn't work a muscle in a given area and that the entire muscle would contract equally .... like you couldn't do conc curls and expect to contract the bi's in the center of the muscle more and increase the peak, but you can do exercises that put stress on different muscles of a muscle group.

So you are telling me that flat bench and incline bench do the same thing and that I don't need to do inclines because flat benches will hit the upper pec just as well?

Yes, i am telling you that flat hits upper and lower chest better than any other, because that is how ur pec is build. The myofibers that run allong it are designed to do a particular movement: pull the humerous in. Believe what you want, and i have no problem with that, because i believe that the intensity you train with is more important than the specific moves you do in the gym. I train the way i've been taught by my boss (exchampionship bodybuilder and a nationally known name in the personal training business). But yes, muscles contract in an all-or-nothing motion, cant be isolated.

I don't care if you're a certified personal trainer. Take a course physics and anatomy (or kinestesiology) for God's sake.

You're biceps example isn't analogous to triceps. The biceps are fused at the point of insertion, whereas the triceps are independent muscles of the same group. As a counter example, it is possible to work the brachailis without involving too much of the biceps brachii.

It IS true that you can't completely isolate one head of a particular muscle group. However your limbs (especially the arms) are designed to recruit different muscle's depending on their position relative to the body.

Thread Information