Pump2004 is offline Junior Member

Stability balls?

I am coming off a back injury and will be doing most of my workouts using a stability ball and bands. Anyone have any input as to how effective this kind of training is?

Tribex is offline Associate Member
    Bro, I am a cert. personal Trainer, and live on stab. balls. At first, couldnt do anything on them, now i can stand on top and squat on them, in the middle of a room (no help gettin up there). When it comes to effectiveness, they are incredible, but only for what they are training. If ur lookin to put on size, forget it.. you will never with a stab. ball. The major fuction in them is to train the transverse abdominus and core stability muscles. You will, however, get strong on them, but you will not increase size. If you use them right, they can be a serious help. I use them for almost all my clients.

Thanks for the info. I have been using the balls for my abs and core strength during my therapy and want to continue it after. If I can tone back up I'll be happy. Have you ever had people complain of soreness inside the thigh by the knees after doing leg extensions on the balls? Came on like DOMS the morning after doing them the first time in therapy

Tribex is offline Associate Member
    LOL of couse people are sore after doing ext. on the ball, especially in the ass and inner thigh. You see, to ext ur leg, ur using ur quad complex, but like i said before, when ur on a stab. ball, the main focus is on core. So the muscles that hold ur leg straight while ur doing the ext. are being worked hardcore. These muscles are your adductors (in the inner thigh which pull ur knees inward, internal rotation) and your glute medius, which pull ur knees outward (external rotation). So if they are sore there, it just means that those muscles which are not often used are being worked... a good thing

Thought so. Have always normally had soreness after starting up training again but never in the knee area. Thanks again.

Thread Information