Haku is offline New Member

Sleeping after workouts

Wondering if anyone can help me, I train in the mornings but within 2 hours I cant keep awake and always fall asleep for 1-2 hours. This was never a problem as I was not in work however I have just started a job and obviously cant fall asleep when I usually would, however this sleepy feeling really disrupts my work. I`m thinking maybe low blood sugars? but I have a protein shake straight after each workout and a high protein meal within an hour of the workout usually consisting of chicken breasts, jacket potatos and brocoli then some wholemeal muslea. Is there anything I can take that will keep me awake at work as once I`m through the 2 hour period of sleepiness I have normal energy levels.

TNT
    TNT is offline Retired Moderator

Cause Unknown . . .

Hi, Haku . . . Your symptoms sound unusual, to say the least. There's a lot of information that we don't have, such as your age, the intensity of your training, any underlying medical conditions, family medical history, any cycles/medications/supps you're on, and whether or not you eat anything before your workout.

My advice: Check this out with a doctor - a basic, focused exam with some lab work and an EKG should do the trick. It doesn't sound like low sugar - if you were hypoglycemic, you would have additional symptoms such as dizziness, feeling lightheaded, or even nausea. I don't want to scare you, but there could be something a little more complicated going on, and I would recommend that you ask your doctor for an EKG (cardiogram) - if you have any arterial blockage, this could be a contributing factor. And the labwork is important, as a feeling of lethargia (becoming so tired that you can't function without sleep) could also be due to anemia - a low red cell count, low B12 level, etc.

Again, these are possibilities, not probabilities. Chances are that you're simply zonked out after a workout, but such an acute need for sleep raises a red flag. And as much as we'd like to help out here, the symptoms are something that should be evaluated by a medical professional in person.

SUPERDAVE is offline Banned
    I think this feeling is normal. After my friends and i work out we make a huge protein shake and watch football. All of us are out within 5 minutes. I think its healthy, i wake up feeling refreshed. Maybe part of it is that all your energy is being used to digest the shake. Just a guess.

Couldn't you just crawl under your desk at work for a little snooze?

bex
    bex is offline Banned
    Do you sleep at night..I.E 8h. If you do you could be overtraining....

PaPaPumP is offline Retired Moderator
    Awesome point bexsome...do y ou sleep well at night? They say get at least 8 hours, sometimes i need 8, somtimes i sleep up to 12. You're lucky, i can't take naps, when i get up, thats it till the next night.

Firstly thanks for all your help. In answer to some of the information you requested I am 20 years old and have been training properly for the last 4 years. Weight- 220lbs, height- 5`10, before training I eat a large bowl of oatmeal with 6 egg whites mixed in. I train in a bodybuilders gym and comparativley I would say interms of my intensity level I would rate myself in the top 10 trainers in the gym. I sleep for an average of 8 hours a night this is usually the minimum. No familly medical history concerning lethargy. Supplements I only take protein shakes at the moment however condition does not change when taking more. I have felt this lethargy since I can remember. Anymore advice would be greatly appricaited
    Haku
    Last edited by Haku; 01-06-2002 at 11:49 AM.

bex
    bex is offline Banned
    You could try more fruit and veg and some more carbs and a good multi min and vit

TNT
    TNT is offline Retired Moderator

Well done, Haku . . .

Originally posted by Haku
    In answer to some of the information you requested [snipperooney] . . .
    You've filled in the picture nice, Haku.

I stick with my original recommendations. You say that you've always had this problem, and at 20, it's worth checking into, especially on the cardiac angle and the potential for anemia.

In the meantime, here's a fairly harmless suggestion to try . . . After your workout, try taking a (meaning one) Vivarin or No-Doz tablet. They are caffeine in pill form, and one over-the-counter pill (200 mg.) is equal to the caffeine in two cups of coffee. See if it gives you any boost, but do [i]not[i] overdo them.

Some people take a Vivarin before doing cardio; it's a long-held belief that caffeine improves the endurance of runners, and I've found it useful in doing extended cardio. However, do not try this if you are on an ECA stack or on anything with ephedrine (such as Xenedrine), which already has caffeine or ephedrine.

My original advice stands, however - get checked out medically to see if you're missing anything.

cheers guys thanks for all ure suggestions i`ve got a doctors appointment on friday

Canes4Ever is offline Banned
    Originally posted by Haku
    cheers guys thanks for all ure suggestions i`ve got a doctors appointment on friday
    Haku what happened with the doctors appointment?

I'm interested because I also have this problem at times too. I workout and eat and often am asleep for a couple of hours.

I also have an anxiety disorder and can't take any of the fat burners (mua huang, ephedrine, caffiene etc.) So I am unable to take a stimulant.

I do take 30 mg of Paxil every monring for the panic attacks.

Billy Boy is offline Retired Moderator
    I find sometimes after a very intense wotkout I need to sleep almost as soon as the last excercise! I think the time you train is also a factor if I train in the morning I am tired for the remainder of the day no matter what I eat or do.I,ve read all the comments on her and would agree with TNT get it checked if there is nothing wrong it puts your mind at ease.

superbeast is offline Member
    I don't think this is a big deal at all. In fact, after a workout, your body should want to sleep since this is when recovery and rebuilding takes place. The digestion of carbs also release a hormone (insulin ) which causes sleepiness.

On another not, I don't really believe in overtraining unless you are working a muscle when it is still sore from the last workout. As John Parillo says, "There is no overtraining, only under nutritioned."

Take a couple Xenadrine, you'll stay awake.

Thread Information