Pump2004 is offline Junior Member

Incline bench, Correct angle?

I have always had a problem getting a good pump in my upper chest while doing inclines. What is the correct angle the bench should be and where should the arms be while in the pressing part of the movement?

hugesunglasses is offline New Member
    do you do db incline at all? if not switch it up, you might notice a difference.

I have to use dumbbels because barbell presses really strain my shoulders. Should the dumbbells be pressed over the chest at the top of the movement or more angled over the head.

Tribex is offline Associate Member
    Press the dumbells right over your chest, dont bang them together, that creates momentum makin ur muscles work less. Using a barbell hurts because ur dictating a set range on ur joints, so DB will always be better. As for angle, 30% is best, any much more and its gonna be all anterior delt.

hugesunglasses is offline New Member
    the incline will take care of the angle, just press straight up until your arms are fully extended

Chris Columbus is offline Junior Member
    This all looks like good advice to me. I would also consider looking at a couple of other factors. For one, Make sure that you are not locking out your arms. This puts stress on the triceps and not the chest where it needs to be. Second, I know some guys like a closer grip for In cline and benching in general, BUT, most guys I know with serous chest development use a wide grip as the core grip for their chest exercises.

MMC78 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tribex
    Press the dumbells right over your chest, dont bang them together, that creates momentum makin ur muscles work less. Using a barbell hurts because ur dictating a set range on ur joints, so DB will always be better. As for angle, 30% is best, any much more and its gonna be all anterior delt.
    Agreed, don't go too high on the angle. You don't want to look like Lurch with huge delts and no upper pecs.

tiny20 is offline New Member
    when doing bb incline presses i never go down lower than my nose or lips and i always look up. that helped on not hurting my shoulders

sepjuice is offline Anabolic Member
    i usually switch angles,weight,and dumbells to barbells,,and try to hit this first in your routine, you'll get a great pump..

cpt steele is offline Anabolic Member
    I do them at about 30-35 dg and I start at my nipple and extend out until I feel the tension just starting to come off the pec, I never fully extend I keep them under tension dont give them a let off

Thanks to all the posters for the great information.

JDMSilviaSpecR is offline Vicious With Malicious Intent
    Bring the dumbell down so the handle is adjacent to your upper chest. keep the inside part of the dumbell weight about .5-1 inch off of your chest/body, etc. Stop right when the handle of the dumbell is alined with your chest then go back up. I guarantee you will see a HUMONGOUS difference.

Mu'min is offline Associate Member
    Repeated, I have seen 30 degrees being the maximum incline that one wants to have the bench because the anterior delts are included too much beyond that. Once I started to adhere to that principle, I have seen wonderful gains in my upper chest.

Thread Information