StangGT is offline New Member

What do I need to do to get a job in a gym?

I love to work out and I love to help others. What do I need to do to get a job in a gym/fitness center? Do i need certifications, cpr???

Thanks,

Ryan

sepjuice is offline Anabolic Member
    theres numerous certifications u can get,u should research them,..it doesnt hurt to be big or fit either ,,appearances r always a factor imo,,,

PrairieDawg is offline Senior Member
    it shouldnt take much. at my old gym half the guys they hired there didnt even work out. but diff gyms have diff standards

Tribex is offline Associate Member
    Like he said, depends on the gym. I'm a personal trainer, and have worked in a couple of gyms. Some plays, like ballys (that suck), will hire anybody off the street as long as they know what a bicep curl is. Other places will require a training certification. (NASM.. the best, or CSCS, ACES, IDEA etc.) This is only if you wanna work as a trainer. If you want a desk job of some sort, then all you need is usually cpr cert. Thats all bro.

Ok... Thank for your help guys.

Off the topic but can some explain to me what a 4 or 5 day split is in working out terms... Ive seen it talked about on this site but dont really know what It means..

Thanks,

Ryan

Tribex is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StangGT
    Ok... Thank for your help guys.

Off the topic but can some explain to me what a 4 or 5 day split is in working out terms... Ive seen it talked about on this site but dont really know what It means..

Thanks,

Ryan
    A split is how you organize the breakup of your workouts. In other words, when you go to the gym, you dont just do everything, like a girl. On set days, you work set bodyparts in a logical manner. For example, a four day split would be 1.Chest/Bis, 2.Back/Tris, 3.Shoulders/abs, and 4.Legs. I think the best way to handle things would be a five days split with...
    Day 1 Chest
    Day 2 Back
    Day 3 Arms
    Day 4 Delts
    Day 5 Legs

roccoswello is offline Associate Member
    Dude, the easiest way is to find a small gym where you can get friendly with the owner. Then bada bing you start working it in to your conversation and your in.....

inheritmylife is offline Anabolic Member
    Check the NSCA website for when their next PT certification is in your neck of the woods. If you are a NSCA certified personal trainer and look respectable, you can get a job at any gym.

Even though the NSCA is the most bass-akwards, itiotic training organization known to man. You wont be able to teach anyone anything helpfull, but at least you will have a job.

partyboynyc is offline Anabolic Member

me personally

i won't hire anyone who isn't nsca or nasm certified anymore as far as certs go. i try to hire ex athletes who have these certs or exercise science or exercise physiology degrees. i came in and fired anyone who hasn't kept current w/ increasing their knowledge base. ceu's are a ****ign $$ scam for the most part, but i will ask trainers, "what were the last 3 books you have read related to this industry on your own". we serve a very well off community here and i expect them to be able to receive outstanding education and training while they are here.

i'm w/ you on that to a degree

Quote Originally Posted by inheritmylife
    Check the NSCA website for when their next PT certification is in your neck of the woods. If you are a NSCA certified personal trainer and look respectable, you can get a job at any gym.

Even though the NSCA is the most bass-akwards, itiotic training organization known to man. You wont be able to teach anyone anything helpfull, but at least you will have a job.
    most of the certs are bull****, but compared to all the other cert texts that i have come across in 10 years at least the nsca and nasm give you more than a 3 day walk through on how to deduct a person's age from 220,haha

HiFi is offline Associate Member
    yea golds gym will hire ur grandmother. i think u should look like u lift if ur going to work there.

I look like I work out, but Im far from ripped... Working on it though. Ive also read alot about fitness in the last year.

I guess Ill put in an application at ballys total fitness. Im guessing that would be an ok summer job.

i think this is a common misconception and what gives this industry a bad name

I look like I work out, but Im far from ripped... Working on it though. Ive also read alot about fitness in the last year.

I guess Ill put in an application at ballys total fitness. Im guessing that would be an ok summer job.
    this is why there should be state licensure for personal trainers. every meathead who can spell FLEX and even thiose who can't think they can do this job.yeah sure maybe you can scribble down some **** on a piece of paper or give some apparently health person your workout, but can you design for the masses? your surgeon may be a 300 lb fat slob , but he'll open up your chest cavity and perform open hear sugery with his eyes closed. do you give a **** what he looks like?
    image can sell sessions, but reputation and results keep clients. i could throw an elementary case study at you right now for someone with fibromyalgia who recently was released from PT after suffering a lacerated kidney and fractured L-4.what do you do w/ them "Mr. I Look Good in a Tank Top"?

I think you got the wrong Idea from what I said. I was thinking more along working behind the desk, spotting, cleaning, stuff along those lines. I never once said anything about being a personal trainer... I know Im not qualified to do that, but I did want to know what it takes to be qualified.

thanks for your input

Quote Originally Posted by partyboynyc
    this is why there should be state licensure for personal trainers. every meathead who can spell FLEX and even thiose who can't think they can do this job.yeah sure maybe you can scribble down some **** on a piece of paper or give some apparently health person your workout, but can you design for the masses? your surgeon may be a 300 lb fat slob , but he'll open up your chest cavity and perform open hear sugery with his eyes closed. do you give a **** what he looks like?
    image can sell sessions, but reputation and results keep clients. i could throw an elementary case study at you right now for someone with fibromyalgia who recently was released from PT after suffering a lacerated kidney and fractured L-4.what do you do w/ them "Mr. I Look Good in a Tank Top"?

for like a front desk job

I think you got the wrong Idea from what I said. I was thinking more along working behind the desk, spotting, cleaning, stuff along those lines. I never once said anything about being a personal trainer... I know Im not qualified to do that, but I did want to know what it takes to be qualified.

thanks for your input
    depending on the gym , no experience or a basic cert will get you in the door. you may even find that being in that atmosphere may inspire you to want to do more there.good luck w/ it. i hope all turns out well

Danielle is offline Female Member
    Quote Originally Posted by partyboynyc
    i won't hire anyone who isn't nsca or nasm certified anymore as far as certs go.
    i agree...........my gym wont either
    Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, THAT IS STRENGTH

Danielle is offline Female Member

thanks for your input

well thats totally different.......i mean anyone can clean a toliet or swipe a floor
    Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, THAT IS STRENGTH

Is ACSM a good cert to get?

Thread Information