Thread: TRI'S wont grow

Spoon is offline 'Lurker at the threshold'

TRI'S wont grow

My tri's have been left behind by virtually ever body part. no matter how hard i try to work it out their size virtually remains the same even though the poundages of my lifts get heavier. So obviously they are getting stronger but not bigger.

Ive tried skullcrushers, weighted dips (from bench), bar pressdown, rope pressdowns, one arm/two arm french presses too no avail. Or maybe i have reached the limit of my tricep gains? So FRUSTRATING! can you give me personal suggestions on what exercises are great for building massive triceps? thanks all in advance

Spoon

RockyX is offline Senior Member
    Well I think you've covered all the basic exercises that are really great for your tris. (Dips, Press-downs, Skull crushers). I noticed you didn't include close-grip bench. Have you give this a try? Only other suggestion I could give is maybe to try and shock them by hitting them twice a week for the next 2-3 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by RockyX
    Well I think you've covered all the basic exercises that are really great for your tris. (Dips, Press-downs, Skull crushers). I noticed you didn't include close-grip bench. Have you give this a try? Only other suggestion I could give is maybe to try and shock them by hitting them twice a week for the next 2-3 weeks.

I havent really tried this one yet. since i work out my tri's the same day as my chest i am usually gassed ot and cannot perform this excercise with strict form. Maybe i can incorporate this since im doing the dc method and have only one chest excercise.

Spoon

nj123 is offline Member
    i would definately use close grip, it has help my tri's out a sh*tload,

I agree close grip bench helps out your developement and strength. I've incorporated it into nearly all of my powerlifting rountines throughout the years. Also something that might shock your tri's is something I started using while on the westside barbell program. Basically a skullcrusher with a dumbell in each hand,bring down to the sides of your head and push them out behind your head. Then roll it up slowly. They are really good for hitting the weakest spot of your tri's. Imo though your doing the right exercises...skullcrushers,pulldowns,overheads<<< straight mass builders...Maybe even cut your rest time down between sets. That should help you get them pretty fried..

bigol'legs is offline Quadzilla
    Triceps really grow when you start concentrating on them. I have pretty good triceps and I hardly ever do skullcrushers... they dont work for me, I dont feel them.

Single arm cable kickbacks.. and when you get to the top lockout and squeeze that tricep HARD! same with all the others.. another favorite of my is DB overhead presses, with one db and both hands on the db.

flexshack is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigol'legs
    another favorite of my is DB overhead presses, with one db and both hands on the db.
    i have difficulty with these b/c my head always gets in the way, lol!

bigol'legs is offline Quadzilla
    Quote Originally Posted by flexshack
    i have difficulty with these b/c my head always gets in the way, lol!
    arms 2 big? or you just dont have your arms far enough back. When I do them its hard to breathe.

LM1332 Guest
    have you tried to do priority excersise. Meaning you hit your tris first and then do whatever you gotta do. Or you can also try to hit your tris every 3rd day like monday, wendsday, and friday. With moderate to heavy blasting

Quote Originally Posted by goodtobeapimp
    I agree close grip bench helps out your developement and strength. I've incorporated it into nearly all of my powerlifting rountines throughout the years. Also something that might shock your tri's is something I started using while on the westside barbell program. Basically a skullcrusher with a dumbell in each hand,bring down to the sides of your head and push them out behind your head. Then roll it up slowly. They are really good for hitting the weakest spot of your tri's. Imo though your doing the right exercises...skullcrushers,pulldowns,overheads<<< straight mass builders...Maybe even cut your rest time down between sets. That should help you get them pretty fried..
    im curious with this exercise you employed while on westside barbel program. Im trying to picture it but i cant. could you elaborate? are you lying down on a bench, instead of using an ez bar you use 2 dumbels, same routine as the skullcrushers, lower them to sides of your head........ this is the part i get lost in

Spoon

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon
    im curious with this exercise you employed while on westside barbel program. Im trying to picture it but i cant. could you elaborate? are you lying down on a bench, instead of using an ez bar you use 2 dumbels, same routine as the skullcrushers, lower them to sides of your head........ this is the part i get lost in

Spoon
    Lower them down to the sides of your head. Slowly roll your wrists so you can press out on the dumbells. By pressing out I mean towards the top of your head not in front of you. Then you bring them back to your starting position. It will be at a very odd angle on your tri's. I didnt think they would work because I was working with light weight on them but I was really sore with them. Hope this gives you a better idea..

cpt steele is offline Anabolic Member
    weighted parralell bar dips worked for me go as deep as you can

Chris Columbus is offline Junior Member
    I have some big thick triceps. They are second only to my chest in my best body parts list. I have used many of the things that people are using here. The first thing you need to figure out about your tri’s is whether they are being over trained or under trained.. No matter what you decide get that form strict.

If you are under training them consider the following:
    Pre-exhaustion (e.g. do one or more isolation exercises like pull downs or skull crushers followed by big movement like reverse grip or close grip).
    Priority training as mention above.

If you are overtrained in the tri’s I would consider the following:
    1 make sure that when you bench that you are not locking your arms out and over involving your tri’s.
    2 don’t do more than 8 sets for your tri’s. I work my tri’s right after my chest and I consistently do 8 sets of 8 on pull downs. It is a Louie Simmons technique.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Columbus
    I have some big thick triceps. They are second only to my chest in my best body parts list. I have used many of the things that people are using here. The first thing you need to figure out about your tri’s is whether they are being over trained or under trained.. No matter what you decide get that form strict.

If you are under training them consider the following:
    Pre-exhaustion (e.g. do one or more isolation exercises like pull downs or skull crushers followed by big movement like reverse grip or close grip).
    Priority training as mention above.

If you are overtrained in the tri’s I would consider the following:
    1 make sure that when you bench that you are not locking your arms out and over involving your tri’s.
    2 don’t do more than 8 sets for your tri’s. I work my tri’s right after my chest and I consistently do 8 sets of 8 on pull downs. It is a Louie Simmons technique.
    Thanks! i think i will experiment with priority training as mentioned.

Spoon

decadbal is offline Banned
    well how long have you tried the different workouts, my tris are very big, the first or second thing ppl notice about me is my arms, and what i do is vbar pushdowns, super heavy, then nosebreakers, the behind the head ext and flat bar pushdowns, go heavy on all and stay with it a while.. they will grow

alevok Guest
    try some kickbacks, do it in slow pace

flexshack is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigol'legs
    arms 2 big? or you just dont have your arms far enough back. When I do them its hard to breathe.
    i think my shoulder range of motion is what kills me on those. i can't pull my arms back enough b/c of this. i find that i can do it maybe a couple times but usually wind up hitting the back of my head. it's just too uncomfortable for me.

Naturallyfunny is offline New Member
    Hey man,
    My tri's lagged bad like 3 weeks ago....
    I did tri's with chest and got a pump and the poundages went up with no growth..
    I switched it round so i did Tri's with back and i now have stretch marks on my Tri's .... its worked for me
    Just a thought

On a typical tri day i do...
    EZ lying extensions 4 x 6-10
    Dip (on parallel bars) or closegrip press 3 x 6-8
    V-bar cable press down 3 x 8-10
    Superset with cable (rope) or Dumbbell french press

I just think that Tri's get a pounding on Shoulders and Chest so i never do more than 10 sets (kinda know the superset makes it 13 but they're included with the other set)
    Just an option for ya as its helped me
    Keep the core exercises like close grip and dip but switch the isolation ones around each week
    Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Naturallyfunny
    Hey man,
    My tri's lagged bad like 3 weeks ago....
    I did tri's with chest and got a pump and the poundages went up with no growth..
    I switched it round so i did Tri's with back and i now have stretch marks on my Tri's .... its worked for me
    Just a thought

On a typical tri day i do...
    EZ lying extensions 4 x 6-10
    Dip (on parallel bars) or closegrip press 3 x 6-8
    V-bar cable press down 3 x 8-10
    Superset with cable (rope) or Dumbbell french press

I just think that Tri's get a pounding on Shoulders and Chest so i never do more than 10 sets (kinda know the superset makes it 13 but they're included with the other set)
    Just an option for ya as its helped me
    Keep the core exercises like close grip and dip but switch the isolation ones around each week
    Good luck!

Makes sense overworking them on chest, shoulder days. will definetely tweak my routines. thanks!

Spoon

skinnywuss is offline New Member
    I have been doing tris twice a week lately 2 sets after chest on monday and I do arms on fri bis and tris 3 sets of tris. My fav tri workout def being one arm behind the head going as heavy as I can somtimes up to 90s with strict form, its funny to watch bc someones usally next to me doing it with 2 hands lol. you just have to make sure you do it right bc you can hurt your shoulder. But doing it twice a week has helped alot bc arms are a week point for me. my arms going from unpumped 18 to unpumped alittle under 19 in the couple months i've upped it to twice.

IronAdam is offline Member
    Weighted dips work wonders. Rope extensions as a finisher.

se11 is offline Associate Member
    try this:

Bench press
    Overhead extensions
    Kickback
    Pressdowns
    Push-ups

Those can help your tris.

Thread Information