LilVito469 is offline Banned

u need sleep to grow...but...

if i have a huge test tomorrow and stay up all night studying and i get about 14 hours worth of sleep tomorrow night it is that bad for the muscles i worked out today in the gym?

Spoon is offline 'Lurker at the threshold'
    Adequately you need at least 8 hours of sleep for optimin muscle growth and repair. Trying to work it out and sleeping longer on the following day wont work. It simply doesnt work that way.

Hey man you've got a test tommorrow dont go screwing it up just because you busted azz in the gym. I mean one day will not kill you. sleep and get prepared for your test. thats your future man! In the end no matter of advice will desuade you from doing what your really goping to do. Its a matter of priorities. Good luck in your test!

Beat is offline Associate Member
    i aggree its better to study and sleep a little less than the other way around

im wondering.. these 8 hours you need to sleep for recovery.. does it matter if you sleep them 8 hours straight or if you sleep 8 hours put together and wake up like 1-2 times every night?

Quote Originally Posted by Beat
    i aggree its better to study and sleep a little less than the other way around

im wondering.. these 8 hours you need to sleep for recovery.. does it matter if you sleep them 8 hours straight or if you sleep 8 hours put together and wake up like 1-2 times every night?
    Doesnt matter if you wake up twice in the middle of the night. I assume your going to the bathroom or getting a drink which takes less than 2 minutes. Unless your going to wake up and walk your dog or whack off the time is negligible. I wouldnt worry.

Spoon

Beat is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoon
    Doesnt matter if you wake up twice in the middle of the night. I assume your going to the bathroom or getting a drink which takes less than 2 minutes. Unless your going to wake up and walk your dog or whack off the time is negligible. I wouldnt worry.

Spoon

haha yeah its to get a drink @ 1am and to whack off @ 2,3,4,5,6 am
    thnx

Quote Originally Posted by Beat
    haha yeah its to get a drink @ 1am and to whack off @ 2,3,4,5,6 am
    thnx
    hehe i knew it! just make sure to have 5 servings of whey and a boatload of carbs the minute you wake up. Puts a whole meaning to AM cardio

PrairieDawg is offline Senior Member
    what if you get say 1 or 2 hours of sleep around 6-8pm and 6-7 hours of sleep that night? will you still be building muscle effectively?
    i usually take a nap after work and before the gym then go out.

also is it a good idea to take meal replacements before bed? i know you should take protein but all those carbs would get converted to fat you'd think if you take it before bed.

marrok is offline Junior Member
    Sleep is good for the brain too bro. I have always found that taking the night before the test off (assuming you didnt procrastinate in prep for the exam) can be better than trying to pull an all nighter. I say get to sleep early...get your full 8 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDawg
    what if you get say 1 or 2 hours of sleep around 6-8pm and 6-7 hours of sleep that night? will you still be building muscle effectively?
    i usually take a nap after work and before the gym then go out.

also is it a good idea to take meal replacements before bed? i know you should take protein but all those carbs would get converted to fat you'd think if you take it before bed.
    Its preferabble to get as much sleep possible with the least amount of disturbance. taking a nap after work and adding that to your actual sleep later on, although the math adds up it is not as effective as an 8 hr undisturbed sleep. hell we are not human i wouldnt worry about it. its very hard to plan your schedule based around the # of hrs of sleep but rather vice versa.

And to your question, it would be better to have a protein shake 45 minutes before bedtime to better aid your muscle recovery.

Thread Information