Anabolics
Search More Than 6,000,000 Posts
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    joelio is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    23

    FAT BURN vs CArdio what do you do? whats better ?

    what do you recomend for getting shredded. Cardio or FAt burn im pretty lean right now and i dont wanna loose to much muscle and i heard that cardio puts you in a catabolic state where fat burn just burns the fat. Which do you recomend. I usually go 3 times a week 45 mins should i rotate or stick to one what do you do?

  2. #2
    kklown is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    14
    my guess is he is meaning that the "recommended" heart rate for burning fat is 65% of your maximum heart rate, and the "recommended" heart rate for cardio training is 80% of your maximum. Unfortunately, I really dont know which is better for burning fat, but thats what i got from his original post.

  3. #3
    joelio is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    23
    ya thats what i meant at 65% hr your burning fat at 80% hr your in a cardio state. Which is better for example walking uphill for 45 mins at a quick pace burning fat or going for a jog for 45 minutes with your heart rate in cardio state???

  4. #4
    superbeast's Avatar
    superbeast is offline Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    north of the South, east
    Posts
    715
    While 65% may be burning the best percentage of fat, it is not burning the highest amount.

    Example:

    20 min at 65% burns a total of 200 cal. 150 from fat

    20 min at 80% burns a total of 250 cal. 170 from fat

    In my expert opinion, it is better to do more intense cardio but make sure you are replacing the extra calories with good carbs and protein to replace those that you were burned.

    By the way, these numbers were just off the top of my head to show this point.

    SB

  5. #5
    bufchic is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    159
    Eat some a little serving of carbs before hand too. Can help avoid your body going for muscle to burn, it likes doing that if it doesnt have readily available carbs.

  6. #6
    superbeast's Avatar
    superbeast is offline Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    north of the South, east
    Posts
    715
    Sorry, I have to disagree with you here Bufchic. If you eat carbs before cardio, you are defeating the purpose. You won't burn fat when glycogen is present. By eating carbs, you are restocking your glycogen stores.

    If you want to spare muscle when doing cardio, eat a little protein beforehand. When glycogen is used up and fat is being burned, muscle is also broken down into amino acids to be used as energy. If you consume some protein prior to cardio, those amino acids will already be in the bloodstream and muscle won't have to be broken down to get them.

    Class is now dismissed. HeHeHe.

  7. #7
    bufchic is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    159
    Thats ok Ill let you SB

  8. #8
    bravo11p's Avatar
    bravo11p is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    tampa
    Posts
    208
    "At 50% of your MHR(max heart rate) you burn 7 calories a minute, 90% of which come from fat. At 75% of your MHR, you burn 14 calories a minute, 60% from fat. So at 50% intensity, where 90% of the calories are from fat, you are burning only 6.30 fat calories per minute(0.90x7 cal/minute) but at 75% intensity where only 60% of the calories are from fat, you are burning as much as 8.40 fat calories per minute(0.60x14cal/minute) In short, you burn more total fat calories at higher intensities

  9. #9
    joelio is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    23
    so bravoll are you trying to say that at high intensities you are burning 60% fat then whats the other 40% muscle?? see my goal is to loose fat and not the muscle ive worked hard for so do u suggest to go at 50% .

  10. #10
    Tobey is offline Retired IRON CHEF Mod
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    1,886

    Training Intensities

    joelio,
    Do a search for a post I made awhile back on training intenstites. It can really be a pain at first because you are constitently checking your heart rate to see where you are in your training zones, however you will get very good at estimatling how hard to push your self when you are in your cardio sessions.
    Tobey

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •