Thread: shoulder pain

DDP
    DDP is offline Junior Member

shoulder pain

I've got a question. When ever I work out my chest, I usually do incline dumbell presses and flat dumbell presses. I get this shooting pain in my right shoulder. Sometimes the pain goes away shortly after I start the set. Sometimes it doesn't go away and hurts like hell for days. Is this my rotor cup? And if so can some one tell me some warm up exercises I can do to prevent this. Thanks
    DDP

mando is offline Associate Member
    try using dumbells for awhile.........also it might be a pinched nerve.... do you train your rear delts ?? if not could be that...a couple of yrs ago ihad a similar pain......i wasn't training rear delts at all.......so i had an inbalance in the delts... which made all benching hurt .........try it ! i was better in a month

mando is offline Associate Member
    sorry i meant machines !!

DDP
    Will I get the same benefit from machines? I've heard alot of negativety regarding using machines versus free weights. Also, what are some good rear delt exercisise. Thanks much for your help.

Billy Boy is offline Retired Moderator
    I had the same problem and still do but I found placing a piece of wood under the bench at the top end gave me enough angle to completely reduce the pain.I hate flat bench but it is a good builder for the chest.Warm your rotator cuffs by placing your hands on your hips and slowly rotating them forwards and backwards(shoulders) this helps warm them up.

DDP
    Thanks Billy

Fullback57 is offline Associate Member
    maybe try doing some light laterals inbetween ur sets when u train shoulders and chest...I find it help keep my shoulder warm when I'm training

hulk101 is offline Junior Member
    listen i get the same pain when doing flat bench with bar...so i move to dumbells and i do a good 2-3 sets of light light worm ups before i get into my actual routine and that has helped me tremendously with shoulder pains....

DDP
    Thanks for the info.

You may want to change your technique a little on these exercises. When you do regular dumbbell press, try starting at your lower chest and finishing above your eyes, while squeezing your chest all the way through. This will incorporate less shoulder fatigue in the movement. As for incline press, don't use such a steep incline. This also incorporates a lot of stress throughout your shoulder girdle and steep incline isn't necessary for good upper chest development. You may have to lower the weight a little until you get used to the movements, but this also wouldn't hurt for a while either. Agree 100% with a few sets of light laterals before hand to warm up the area.

Fullback57 is offline Associate Member
    Does the shooting pain go all the way down ur arm?....If it does, its very possible that it could be a nerve problem. hopefully it will go away if you follow all the rockin advice some of the bro's have gave u, but if it doesnt, I'd talk to a doc about it. I'm in the same boat with my shoulder right now as well, good luck bro, keep me posted!!

Pirate50 is offline New Member
    Not sure if youll even see this cuz it's an old thread but i had the same problem when i benched. Go to this link and do these rotator cuff excersises on shoulder day and it sould help with the pain.
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/dorian1.htm

Mr. Trenton is offline Associate Member
    I have the same problem, but its in my left shoulder. And its been like this for about 3 years, I'm going to see a doctor about it soon so I don't fuck it up even worse.

Thread Information