DaGCHILD is offline Junior Member

Chest routine critque

Hey need some opinions on this, thanks...

My incline is much weaker than my flat, so i want to build my upper chest more so i am going to do incline first...I just did this workout 2nite and by the time i got to flat BB bench, my chest was dead, I think its because im not used to the transition from doing incline first to flat because i would always do flat first and thats why i think my incline SUCKS both strength and size...feels weird...but i'll get used to it...Also i decided to incorporate DB's and BB's in the same workout as I think that is better....all the advice is appreciated....THANKS!

1. 3 sets incline BB
    2. 3 sets incline DB
    3. 3 sets flat bench BB
    4. 3 sets flat DB
    5. 3-4 sets DB flys

oh and im going for mass....so im going heavy and doin low reps on each set...

Jantzen4k is offline Anabolic Nittany Lion
    imo, chose either dumbell or barbell or do one of each

incline barbell or incline dumbell 4sets
    flat dumbell or flat barbell 4sets
    then something to carve out chest like weighted dips, pullovers, flyes or pecdec 3sets

ya yunno what, thats what i would originally do and then switch up like every month, but i posted a thread about BB versus DB, and the majority said to use both DB's and BB's in the same workout....so I'm confused on that....thanks for the advice

any more help????

nsa
    nsa is offline King of Supplements
    I would stick to either BB or DB for a given movement, doing both might trigger your body to perceive overtraining.

My current chest workout is:
    4 x Flat BB bench press
    4 x Incline DB press
    4 x Decline BB press
    3 x Flat flies, incline flies or pec deck
    3 x chest prominant dips

This has worked for me as my base chest workout, although i do change my routine every few weeks. This is still the foundation of my chest training and i think (as well as most others) that my chest is one of my better muscle groups, legs are the other but not everyone sees that (only the few lucky ladies.)

Beefkake31 is offline Member
    Everything looks good just keep doing it like this for a few weeks and you'll get used to it.

brew035 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nsa
    I would stick to either BB or DB for a given movement, doing both might trigger your body to perceive overtraining.

My current chest workout is:
    4 x Flat BB bench press
    4 x Incline DB press
    4 x Decline BB press
    3 x Flat flies, incline flies or pec deck
    3 x chest prominant dips

This has worked for me as my base chest workout, although i do change my routine every few weeks. This is still the foundation of my chest training and i think (as well as most others) that my chest is one of my better muscle groups, legs are the other but not everyone sees that (only the few lucky ladies.)
    how can you tell him to stick to one when you dont even your self????

Quote Originally Posted by DaGCHILD
    any more help????
    Yes,
    1~Do the barbell first on incline(this will help put on the mass).

2~Then finish off with the dumbells and try not to do the same movements more than once. like dumbell flat bench followed by barbell flat bench.

3~Put the flys in the middle of your chest workout.

4~And follow chest up with some heavy tris about 4 to 6 sets.

5~You can change the workouts every once in a while. LIke insted of doing incline first do flat bench then incline. Always try to keep the flys in the middle of your workout.

Thats all I got to say so take it or leave it its up to you just my .02

nsa
    Quote Originally Posted by brew035
    how can you tell him to stick to one when you dont even your self????
    Not for all three of the presses. Stick with one for each, not both for the same movement. Your body could perceive that as overtraining. Plus i switch mine up regurlarly.

I doubt anyone can refute that i have made gains with my diet and training regimen. 65 pounds in a year is better than the normal lifter gains, although my circumstances for being down that low in weight are not normal.

Quote Originally Posted by nsa
    Not for all three of the presses. Stick with one for each, not both for the same movement. Your body could perceive that as overtraining. Plus i switch mine up regurlarly.

I doubt anyone can refute that i have made gains with my diet and training regimen. 65 pounds in a year is better than the normal lifter gains, although my circumstances for being down that low in weight are not normal.
    I misunderstood you I guess. Sorry I just didnt want him to think that is what u ment.

I read the thread on you gains. Good Job Bro. Some people loose drive when certain things happen to them.

sp9
    sp9 is offline MMA Competition Sentinel
    What I found was less is more on the sets. I now do 9 sets for my chest workout and I get great results.

I do 3 sets of flat dumbbell, 3 sets incline dumbbell, 3 sets of dumbbell flys and thats it. Of course this is lifting as heavy as possible and pyramiding up. I also have some light warm up sets in there that I don't count. Almost every week I can add either reps or weight.

nsa
    Quote Originally Posted by sp9
    What I found was less is more on the sets. I now do 9 sets for my chest workout and I get great results.

I do 3 sets of flat dumbbell, 3 sets incline dumbbell, 3 sets of dumbbell flys and thats it. Of course this is lifting as heavy as possible and pyramiding up. I also have some light warm up sets in there that I don't count. Almost every week I can add either reps or weight.
    Intensity IMO is more important that volume any day of the week.

josh8416 is offline Associate Member
    i just changed to incline db's first, then i go to flatbench barbell, then i got to decline db's and end with some incline flys. my chest has never been sore, so i think this is my new chest routine for a while!

nsa
    It's a good shock to your muscles to switch up the routine and go heavy. Your body creates almost a tolerance to the same exercises done over a long time, similar to your body having a tolerance to the same drugs used over an extended period of time.

EatRite is offline Senior Member
    if you are going to do 2 incline motions, which i recomend, do 30 degrees on the barbell and 15 to 20 degrees with dumbells... this will make your chest grow much faster...

J.S.N. is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jantzen4k
    imo, chose either dumbell or barbell or do one of each
    i second that.

and since you are lifting for mass right now i'd really stick to barbells for bench presses.

i think overall bech presses heavy with good form are the best mass builder for pecs, but i also think that chest, prolly more than any other bodypart, is extremely personal. you have to objectively look at your chest, decide where it needs work, and then make your routine around that.

since you want mass i would say if you want lower/outer development, do dips as heavy as you can. if you need upper, always start with incline bench's. if you are try to work on your inner chest i think the best thing for that are those machines where it feels almost like a smith machine but your arms rotate in an arc inward (you may not have a machine like this, but 90 degree fly's are good too.).

for my money i think the best mass exercizes for chest are weighted dips, and flat and incline bench presses. i also like to end on the pec deck because i feel that nothing comes close to it for really volumizing your chest when it's blown the **** out.

hey thanks for all the advice....by doing that routine my chest was thrashed and i love it....great shock and i am sure i will get good results....thanks again for all the posts

Deezuhl is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sp9

Exactly what I do too for the most part except i do 4 sets BB Flat Pyramid, and i do dips too. If i dont do DB flye I do the pec deck machine for a controlled movement last. Like you I can add weight almost every week or increase reps at one weight or another. I have moved up from 205 4 times to 315 times in just over 12 weeks.

Thread Information