Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TRA

Thread: Strange pattern in my BW. Help

Notpretty is offline Associate Member

Strange pattern in my BW. Help

I am consistently showing a low score for BUN. This is not BUN/Creatine Ratio. Its BUN only. The test stands for Blood Urea Nitrogen. Most people have a high BUN. Being low is less common. This is from wiki:

The main causes of a decrease in BUN are severe liver disease, anabolic state, and syndrome of inappropriate antidiuretic hormone.

Another rare cause of a decreased BUN is ornithine transcarbamylase deficiency, which is a genetic disorder inherited in an X-linked recessive pattern. OTC deficiency is also accompanied by hyperammonemia and high orotic acid levels.

Does anyone understand BUN within the context of cycling etc? My scores range from 8-11 which are at the edge of out of range low.

Hmmm. Nobody???

Meloncap78 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Notpretty View Post
    I am consistently showing a low score for BUN. This is not BUN/Creatine Ratio. Its BUN only. The test stands for Blood Urea Nitrogen. Most people have a high BUN. Being low is less common. This is from wiki:

The main causes of a decrease in BUN are severe liver disease, anabolic state, and syndrome of inappropriate antidiuretic hormone.

Another rare cause of a decreased BUN is ornithine transcarbamylase deficiency, which is a genetic disorder inherited in an X-linked recessive pattern. OTC deficiency is also accompanied by hyperammonemia and high orotic acid levels.

Does anyone understand BUN within the context of cycling etc? My scores range from 8-11 which are at the edge of out of range low.
    If you are on gear this can definitely cause a low BUN reading. I’m sure others will chime in.
    Last edited by Meloncap78; 03-26-2019 at 10:05 PM.

On gear... peaked at total of 600mgs of test E. Recently Dropped to 300 mg test E + 100 mg Tren E. Waiting on BW results again. Expecting low HDL we’ll see on the BUN.

TRA
    TRA is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Notpretty View Post
    On gear... peaked at total of 600mgs of test E. Recently Dropped to 300 mg test E + 100 mg Tren E. Waiting on BW results again. Expecting low HDL we’ll see on the BUN.
    Don’t agree that most people have high BUN. It typically gives a good picture of hydration status for one. If you are within the normal range but on the low end you are likely well-hydrated and I would not worry. I would not be concerned with most lab values that fall within normal, regardless of which end they are at. If they show a trend and eventually go out of norm, then yes. Otherwise may just be your physiology. Exception is thyroid, and you can see some subclinical thyroid activity (hyper- or hypo-) in the end ranges of normal, correlated with symptoms of course. Otherwise, for BUN, seems pretty okay. Post up what it was this time and comment on your hydration status. (Elevated BUN denotes dehydration).
    PeanutbutterDC likes this.

Test score in.

Hydration should have been fine. I did workout hard the prior two days but I drink water throughout the day. Is dehydration likely to cause a low score or high score? Again I’m always low or on low end.

My BUN was 8 range 6-24. So in range. I’ve never scored higher than 8 over 10 tests over 2.5 years.

My BUN/creatine ratio was low out of range at 6 Range is 9-24.
    Creatinine was high barely at 1.28 range .76 - 1.27

I workout very hard the two days before the test. Doesn’t creatinine rise post workout? I thought it did so this probably means nothing to worry about.

I just looked up BUN via google and it is blood urea Nitrogen level and is a reflection of your kidney function relative to their ability to remove urea from the blood stream. High levels indicate kidneys issues, one specific genetic disease I can’t spell and/or a high protein diet. Low levels of BUN are possible liver disease or damage. My diet is high in protein but not as high as most on this site.

If I have liver issues they don’t show up on the enzymes tests SGOT SGPT. I’m normal on those almost every time. But for 2.5 years my BUN has been 8 or less. I hope it’s just my physiology. I have had a kidney stone. I know my liver has been beat up over the years in the past (not from gear or while on gear) and I’m 51 years old. I used tons of Vicodin with Tylenol for serious real chronic pain...later I switched to non Tylenol norco and later oxy-contin. I drank too. Post spinal fusion surgery I stopped everything...about 5 years ago. And got healthy began lifting and here I am. I just wonder if something may be wrong with my liver even though my enzyme tests are fine. I don’t know if that possible. I’m probably overly concerned and it’s just my physiology. I feel fine...heck great. I do have a beer or wine now and then but otherwise my diet is not bad.
    Last edited by Notpretty; 04-25-2019 at 01:45 PM.

Thread Information