juicehoe is offline Anabolic Member

need help building America muscle (car)

Hey guys i think im going sell my car. I was thinking of buying a late 80's early 90's camaro (anyone know the best year in that time frame?). I used to have one awhile ago, but since then ive had two german cars, so kinda im outta the loop with american cars. Ill have about $5000-$6000 for starting out. Id like to buy the camaro, paint it jet black, suspension and get some mag rims. I dont know if i should buy a crate motor or rebuild the motor thats in it . Any info or thoughts? Any good sites for low priced parts. Remember im looking for most cost effective. This will be my daily drive

Sierra_Breeze is offline Female Member
    http://www.cars-on-line.com/camaromenu.html

I, like the 68-71 better, but they have all years look through and get a basic idea of which body style you like best, performance,options and all...
    I would rather have a motor built by my own hands than a purchased motor and you can restore one for almost the same, maybe cheaper depending on parts and availability.. and the amount of time and effort you're willing to put into it... bone yards are always a good place to check for parts. And ebay has something for everyone, just depends on how hard you look and how dedicated you are about getting the most horsepower for your buck, at any rate good luck and happy hunting....

I know you ask the guys, lol but I can't walk away from a car thread sowwy

mustang331 is offline Member

Blown_SC is offline Retired Vet
    You have some options...(for 80s, 90s)...

IROC? V6? 305? 350? Bigger? Better? Carb? TPI? etc.....

Personally, I would never own one unless it was a Gen1 car.. but that's just me...

All depends on how much you want to spend...

Unless you have a 350 in the 80-90 F-body, toss the old mill out.... not worth the money...

If she has a 350, rebuild it, if not, get one, or something different.. you can build a 383 stroker for the same $ as simply rebuilding the 350... buy a stroker crank, rebuild the rods, ARP bolts, vortec heads (milled, with Z28 springs like what I did).. for a few grand you could be making 400hp.. is that enough? I mated them with an XE274 hyd. cam from Comp, and rebuilt the engine myself.. a budget brawler...

What tranny? What rearend? There really isn't a 'best' year really, no offense.. but you could build a nice one for cheap.. and maybe NOS parts are CHEAP now...

If you'd like some help just let me know...

READ THIS ARTICLE
    Last edited by Blown_SC; 08-31-2004 at 11:23 AM.

Thanks for the help... it will be a 350 for sure and all motor (no NOS or F/I). 400hp is good... i dont need anything stupid, but id like low 13's high 12's for 1/4mile. My friend is telling me to go with the 5.0 mustang, but they are so played out i think.

mustang331 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by juicehoe
    Thanks for the help... it will be a 350 for sure and all motor (no NOS or F/I). 400hp is good... i dont need anything stupid, but id like low 13's high 12's for 1/4mile. My friend is telling me to go with the 5.0 mustang, but they are so played out i think.

there is a reason the mustang's are "played out" THEIR THERE BEST!!!

lol well theres a few reasons i dont like those years in mustangs, but i may have to get one
    Quote Originally Posted by mustang331
    there is a reason the mustang's are "played out" THEIR THERE BEST!!!

Natural Mac is offline Associate Member
    If your going to do motor work, I would not go the stroker route. I had one of those, and it was great, but there are much more fun ways to go. For example, build a moderate to low compression motor and set it up for a supercharger. With the proper valve train and heads, that baby will pump out an easy 450+ hp. Then, if you ever get bored, you can add a little NOS.

Quote Originally Posted by juicehoe
    I would go with the Stang, myself, but, whatever makes ya happy brutha...

OK good.. here's what you need to rebuild your 350 to make ~400hp...

**350 - bored .030 over, forged, or hypereutectic pistons, preferably dished...(mine were flat-tops, but with an iron head, and 64cc chambers, you need to run 94+ octane fuel)...(with dished it's around a 9.5:1 CR, with the flat-tops it's 10.4:1...

**Factory crank if possible, perhaps turn .010 under, or if you can't salvage it, get a 383 stroker crank from Scat...(Cast, Nodular Iron, or Forged, doesn't really matter at this point, so get what you can afford)...

**1996-1998 Iron Vortecs, factory, from Scoggin-Dickey Parts Centre in Lubbock, TX... get them to mill them and drop on Z28 springs... need to to compensate for the cam....I think the part number is -----8060A....

**XE274 Hyd. cam from Comp Cams, also, get the High Energy pushrods, and lifters...

**Edelbrock Intake (if you want more lower-end torque stick with the Performer, and if you want a higher range, just to the RPM Air-Gap... the Air-Gap is surprisingly worth the $$$...

**Carb/TPI - 600-650cfm+....

Other than that, you can run an HEI distributor, and basically get moderate performance replacement parts from wherever... your main focus with this 355/383, is the heads, and the cam.. I can attest to the pairing.. it's the setup in my truck....

If you would like part numbers, or any help regarding the mill, just let me know....

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Mac
    If your going to do motor work, I would not go the stroker route. I had one of those, and it was great, but there are much more fun ways to go. For example, build a moderate to low compression motor and set it up for a supercharger. With the proper valve train and heads, that baby will pump out an easy 450+ hp. Then, if you ever get bored, you can add a little NOS.
    Perhaps, but he stated he didn't want a NOS, or F/I... so I would stick with a stroker if you want the extra cubes... and a streetable 400-430hp... on pump gas...(with the dished slugs)...

I myself have ran both a stroker, and an SC'd engine... so I am speaking from experience...

decadbal is offline Banned
    blown is as excited as rkelly at recess

Quote Originally Posted by Decadbal

houseofpain is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Decadbal
    thats funnier than watchin a retard eat hot wings.

thanks Blown_SC for the details... im still reseaching at this point before i go ahead with anything

Quote Originally Posted by houseofpain
    thats funnier than watchin a retard eat hot wings.
    LMFAO... That is too much!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Blown_SC
    Perhaps, but he stated he didn't want a NOS, or F/I... so I would stick with a stroker if you want the extra cubes... and a streetable 400-430hp... on pump gas...(with the dished slugs)...

I myself have ran both a stroker, and an SC'd engine... so I am speaking from experience...

Suppose I can't argue with a guy that goes by Blown_SC...

HollywoodM3 is offline Member
    Here's a tip that will do you good, DON'T BUY A CAMARO....buy a Ford..(mustang)..I have one just did the engine over..302 with about 400hp!..high 11 in 1/4mile..actually Im looking to sell it, so if you know anyone send them my way..

HM

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodM3
    Here's a tip that will do you good, DON'T BUY A CAMARO....buy a Ford..(mustang)..I have one just did the engine over..302 with about 400hp!..high 11 in 1/4mile..actually Im looking to sell it, so if you know anyone send them my way..

HM
    I'm a Ford guy, but I disagree.. lol.. only because it takes less $ to make a Chev 'quick' than it does a Ford.... because of part price and availability... (they made so many **** replacement parts).....

buy a truck and lift it, throw some big azz tires on it, you got a pimp mobile, holla......

Thread Information