View Poll Results: What do you feel when you see a handicapped person?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • guilt ?

7 25.93%
  • humbled ?

7 25.93%
  • blessed ?

9 33.33%
  • angry ?

0 0%
  • like I want to tease them ?

3 11.11%
  • jealous ?

1 3.70%
    Canes4Ever is offline Banned

Do you feel guilty when you see a handicapped person?

Think it through guys and gals.......

Do you feel guilty that you were blessed as opposed to being someone handicapped?

EXCESS is offline Retired Moderator
    I feel lucky for having the full use of my body. I do not however feel sorry for most people that are handicapped. I don't think I'd want to be felt sorry for if I was handicapped. Most people deal with what they have and do a great job of it.

I ask the question because......

there is a guy named Tony, that comes into my gym every few days and is handicapped with deformed legs, and he walks with crutches. I don't think it was polio, but his legs are very mangled. It could have been an accident.

Anyhoo, he is the nicest guy, but I have noticed taht some of the guys in the gym make fun of his walk, and have even heard him called the "dork with sticks". I hate it when I see him made fun of, and I think he has heard it and ignored it.

All I know is he inspires me to work harder, because if he can get his a$$ in the gym to workout and try to improve his body, anyone can.

RageControl is offline Senior Member
    I know a guy thats in a wheel chair due to an accident. He must have sinned really bad to get what happened to him brace yourself for this story.......
    One night driving home from newjersey he flipped his mustang on the parkway. He ended up trapped in the car upsideown and practicly folded in half. After a few minutes someone stopped to see if he was ok .When the man realized he was helpless he took his wallet and whatever else he could steal and left him for dead.
    Now a few years later and paralized from the waste down he managed to flip his new and faster mustang in the bronx. Before this accident he had a good chance of making a recovery . Not anymore hes paralized for life. Now a few years after that he decides hes gona work on his new 5.0 lincoln so he jacks the car up and slides underneath, the jack fails and the car falls on him putting him back in the hospital . Now i feel bad for this guy he got dealt a real bad hand. when i see him i thank god for my good luck . One of my worst fears is becoming handicapped.

gymnut4u is offline Member
    I have a very close friend that is paralized from the waste down ,His brother and him were going to the mall and a drunk ran his brother off the road and hit a tree head on ,he went throught the windsheld and hit the tree head on also.He was 15 @ the time and has never driven a car or danced at his prom or any of the things that most have memorys of there youth,he is 22 now and got a large setelment from the ins co.He has a nice home and a great wife,he has to use v to have sex with her but he is happy to just be able to.You will never know how many little things you will miss ,till they are gone.
    Me and a few of his bro's load him up and take him out from time to time and we nick named him wheels,He once asked me if i took him out and hung with him because i felt sorry for him,my responce was if it were me would you,I was here before and am still here now,I think in one way I am helping you ,so if i ever need the help,maybe i will get some to,and legs or wheels you are my friend. I have to say all in all the kid has taken it well and has a good life.
    Well that is my story ,sorry if it was to long,just shareing.
    Last edited by gymnut4u; 02-16-2002 at 11:28 PM.

ITS PUTS LITTLE THINGS IN PERSPECTIVE....

ONE OF THE ACCOUNTS I GO TO FOR MY JOB IS A PLACE FOR CEREBRAL PALSEY PATIENTS...AND WHEN I GO THERE IT MAKES ME SAD CAUSE THESE KIDS NEVER HAD A CHANCE..THATS THE WAY THEY ARE FOR LIFE....EVERYONE HAS A PURPOSE BUT ITS HARD TO FIGURE OUT WHY THESE THINGS HAPPENED TO THEM FROM DAY 1....ANOTHER GUY I KNOW FROM THE GYM THAT I USED TO GO TO IS IN A WHEEL CHAIR BUT HE HAS GOT THE BEST ATTITUDE HE WAS IN THE GYM 3-4X WEEKLY, I SEE HIM OUT AT ALL THE NIGHT SPOTS ESP IN THE SUMMER TIME. AND BELIEVE IT OR NOT HEs GOT ALOT OF BABES BY HIM...SO SOMETHING STILL MUST WORK..SOMEONE I KNOW PERSONALY WAS LITTERALLY RAN OVER BY A CAR AND I KNEW THE DRIVER TOO!!!NEEDLES TO SAY THAT INCIDENT SHOOK EVERYONE UP.. BUT THE ONE DUDE IS IN A WHEEL CHAIR, HE IS ALWAYS ACTIVE AND GETS AROUND BY A SPECIAL VAN..HE WAS A BIG STRONG GUY TOO...I'M NOT SURE IF I COULD BE AS MENTALLY STRONG AS THESE GUYS..PROBALY NOT...BUT WOULDNT YOU LOVE TO HAVE THE LOVE OF CHRISTOPHER REEVES WIFE??..SHE IS JUST AWESOME TO STAY WITH HIM THROUGH EVERYTHING...GOD BLESS HER!!!
    Last edited by MR PHATT ASS; 02-16-2002 at 11:59 PM.

Thanks guys....

No one else with a story?

dane26 is offline Retired Moderator
    it makes me realize that i have no right to bitch or complain about my life. doing work in schools for the last couple years has enabled me the oppurtunity to work closely with many young people with handicaps. you will never hear them complain one time. so the next time you get mad at something stupid, always remember that there are people out there with tough lives who never complain.

Re: Re: I ask the question because......

Originally posted by Diesel

Lucky Yes, Guilty No.
    Canes, between the guy that was taken out of your gym in bracelets and the guys you talk about above, your gym sounds like is full of a bunch of tools!
    My suggestion would be to get the hell out of there and go somewhere else. To much negative energy.
    As far as the guy you talk about above. He is a true MAN. Anyone who says different is an ass. There are millions of people who are not handicapped and they continue to sit home in front of the tv on their fat asses. If he went to my gym, I may even ask him to be my training partner.
    LOL ! Diesel I hear ya, it's Miami, so EVERYTHING is different here.

I think the arrested guy was more of an abberation actually. The guys making fun of him I guess are actaully kids, 16 & 17 yr olds. Maybe their immaturity can be given as an excuse.

As for my gym, I can't leave as there isn't a decent gym around that I'd be comfortable in. There is a Bally's closer, but geeeeeesh, I'd just don't fit in with the Chardonnay sipping, pinkie-in-the-air, spandex wearing crowd. I'm a grinder, not a sweet-cheeks. You know what I mean. It's a Golds too, that does mean it's decently equipt.

Thumbs down

I want to know who voted to tease the handicapped !

Originally posted by dane26
    it makes me realize that i have no right to bitch or complain about my life. doing work in schools for the last couple years has enabled me the oppurtunity to work closely with many young people with handicaps. you will never hear them complain one time. so the next time you get mad at something stupid, always remember that there are people out there with tough lives who never complain.
    So true Dane, so true.....we can learn a lot from those that are handicapped. They have to overcome so much more than we do everyday just to live a half-way decent life.

TNT
    TNT is offline Retired Moderator

Cool I would, but only if they can tease back.

Originally posted by Canes4Ever
    I want to know who voted to tease the handicapped !
    Okay, folks, I think we need a reality check here.

The word handicapped is offensive. Not because I said so, but because PWD's said so. Using the word handicapped comes with the mentality of saying that someone "suffers in a wheelchair" as opposed to "uses a wheelchair" - it sends a message, and it's the wrong message.

Now frankly, I have no interest in being politically correct, although I'm a little guilty of it by using the term PWD's in the last paragraph - "persons with a disability." But in many states, even the specialized licensed plates and parking placards no longer use the H/P] abbreviation, they now use P/D.

(There are, of course, limits to being politically correct. I forget her name, but there was a great comedian on HBO a few years ago that did a bit about her own disability. Essentially, she said, "Many people call me hearing-impaired. Fuck that . . . I'm deaf!" Talk about a great sense of reality that puts others in their place with humor . . .)

As for "teasing the handicapped," that can be fun - as long as they're able to tease back. And lest you think that I'm being heartless, it might help to know that I spent a few years as a professional advocate for persons with disabilities.

Which is also why I did not take Canes4Ever's survey at all - I couldn't agree with any of the choices. (That's not a slight against Canes, who is one of the brightest guys around here - frankly, I've never found a survey here that wasn't skewed in some way. Face it, folks, these surveys are sometimes fun, but they're not designed with the best techniques of social science research.)

What do I feel when I see someone with a disability? The same thing I feel when I see someone without a disability, except that I'm willing to be a little more patient if he or she is walking (or wheeling) in front of me, willing to give him or her a hand if it's requested or welcomed, and open to admiring their sense of balls if they haven't taken a self-defeatist attitude (and most, though not all, do have a sense of balls).

In other words, these are no longer the days of the "poor handicapped guy." Persons with a disability have demanded not to be crapped on by the rest of society, have had their rights acknowledged (as they should) through legislation like the Americans with Disabilities Act, and learned how to kick society's ass in an organized manner (which I applaud). But with rights come responsibilities, and society need not kowtow to them because of a disability - that's what the term inclusion is about.

So, when it comes to, say, someone in a wheelchair, do I feel humbled by someone? Nope. Blessed? I really never thought about it, although I wouldn't want to be in a wheelchair myself. Guilty? Nope - it's not my fault, and I have no desire to play a liberal guilt role. My responsibility isn't to kiss the guy's butt, my responsibility is to not put any obstacles in his way (physical, social, professional, or societal), period. Jealousy? (Hmmmmm, Canes, I'm not sure where that one came from. Even someone in a wheelchair would have to laugh at that notion.)

True acceptance and equality would lead me to choose, "None of the above." And no, I wouldn't even spot a guy in a wheelchair an extra 10 points if I were to have a game of one-on-one hoops with him. Because chances are that if he were willing to take me on at hoops, he would beat me anyway (which means that he should spot me the ten points).

Anyway, an interesting poll, Canes - and one that opened up an intersting dialogue. But the subject of disabilities is never a simple one. For example, y'all know the notches cut into the curbs at street corners to make it easier for wheelchairs to get on and off the sidewalk? The ones that are so great for people who use wheelchairs since they make more places accessible?

The blind hate 'em. It fucks up the way they use their canes. Seriously. No joke. As an organized group, blind people (or, for those who are politically correct, the "visually impaired") are [i]really[i] pissed off about those curb ramps. So like I said, nothing is simple. Go figure . . .

Terinox is offline The One & Only
    Nice post TNT, just curious, what do you do for a career?

Billy Boy is offline Retired Moderator
    There is no such thing as handicapped.We are all equal and we all have weaknesses.Some physical some meantally but either one we all have a weakness.

I have a cousin who is in a wheelchair.He has been in one since he was a kid.If anyone called him handicapped I don,t think it would go down to well.He drives his own car lives in his own flat and fends for himself.He is totally independant and I think its great.he does no more or no less than the average person.

Why should you feel sorry for people with disability,s they admit the fact and get on with life.Do you feel sorry for the person with the stutter or the guy with the twitch?Chances are you don,t even notice it so what difference would a wheelchair make.

Canes the people in your gym are just ignorant but that is their disbility they have a weakness to understand that human life takes many different shapes and forms and just because something is different doesn,t mean that it is weird or repulsive.

Re: I would, but only if they can tease back.

Originally posted by TNT
    Okay, folks, I think we need a reality check here.

The word handicapped is offensive. Not because I said so, but because PWD's said so. Using the word handicapped comes with the mentality of saying that someone "suffers in a wheelchair" as opposed to "uses a wheelchair" - it sends a message, and it's the wrong message.

Now frankly, I have no interest in being politically correct, although I'm a little guilty of it by using the term PWD's in the last paragraph - "persons with a disability." But in many states, even the specialized licensed plates and parking placards no longer use the H/P] abbreviation, they now use P/D.

(There are, of course, limits to being politically correct. I forget her name, but there was a great comedian on HBO a few years ago that did a bit about her own disability. Essentially, she said, "Many people call me hearing-impaired. Fuck that . . . I'm deaf!" Talk about a great sense of reality that puts others in their place with humor . . .)

As for "teasing the handicapped," that can be fun - as long as they're able to tease back. And lest you think that I'm being heartless, it might help to know that I spent a few years as a professional advocate for persons with disabilities.

Which is also why I did not take Canes4Ever's survey at all - I couldn't agree with any of the choices. (That's not a slight against Canes, who is one of the brightest guys around here - frankly, I've never found a survey here that wasn't skewed in some way. Face it, folks, these surveys are sometimes fun, but they're not designed with the best techniques of social science research.)

What do I feel when I see someone with a disability? The same thing I feel when I see someone without a disability, except that I'm willing to be a little more patient if he or she is walking (or wheeling) in front of me, willing to give him or her a hand if it's requested or welcomed, and open to admiring their sense of balls if they haven't taken a self-defeatist attitude (and most, though not all, do have a sense of balls).

In other words, these are no longer the days of the "poor handicapped guy." Persons with a disability have demanded not to be crapped on by the rest of society, have had their rights acknowledged (as they should) through legislation like the Americans with Disabilities Act, and learned how to kick society's ass in an organized manner (which I applaud). But with rights come responsibilities, and society need not kowtow to them because of a disability - that's what the term inclusion is about.

So, when it comes to, say, someone in a wheelchair, do I feel humbled by someone? Nope. Blessed? I really never thought about it, although I wouldn't want to be in a wheelchair myself. Guilty? Nope - it's not my fault, and I have no desire to play a liberal guilt role. My responsibility isn't to kiss the guy's butt, my responsibility is to not put any obstacles in his way (physical, social, professional, or societal), period. Jealousy? (Hmmmmm, Canes, I'm not sure where that one came from. Even someone in a wheelchair would have to laugh at that notion.)

True acceptance and equality would lead me to choose, "None of the above." And no, I wouldn't even spot a guy in a wheelchair an extra 10 points if I were to have a game of one-on-one hoops with him. Because chances are that if he were willing to take me on at hoops, he would beat me anyway (which means that he should spot me the ten points).

Anyway, an interesting poll, Canes - and one that opened up an intersting dialogue. But the subject of disabilities is never a simple one. For example, y'all know the notches cut into the curbs at street corners to make it easier for wheelchairs to get on and off the sidewalk? The ones that are so great for people who use wheelchairs since they make more places accessible?

The blind hate 'em. It fucks up the way they use their canes. Seriously. No joke. As an organized group, blind people (or, for those who are politically correct, the "visually impaired") are [i]really[i] pissed off about those curb ramps. So like I said, nothing is simple. Go figure . . .
    TNT,

You make valid points and yes I was insensitive. Damn and I should know better, because my dad was wheelchair bound and disabled for the last 6 years of his life (he suffered from Multiple Sclerosis for over 20 yrs, the last 6 in a wheelchair).

Thanks for the correction TNT. I need a swift kick in the arse every once in a while.

Originally posted by Billy Boy
    Canes the people in your gym are just ignorant but that is their disbility they have a weakness to understand that human life takes many different shapes and forms and just because something is different doesn,t mean that it is weird or repulsive.
    I think one of the problems with my gym is that we are just around the corner from a High School and just across the street from Florida International University, so we tend to have a VERY young crowd in the gym.

I think it's mostly a immauturity problem.

Billy Boy is offline Retired Moderator
    Explains a lot of things , guess when your young you never think it could happen to you

Full Intensity is offline Anabolic Member
    Half an hour more and they would have amputated my left foot. So your damn right i feel lucky. I am still classified as physically disabled cause i cant run without pain, walk etc.... but when i use to look at someone who was disabled i didn't really give two shits now i think of how lucky i really am and how bad they have it.

Give your sister a hug for me too Little Girl ! Please !

Kid Shred is offline Member
    I'll be blatantly honest, I'm usually always totally comfortable and secured with the fact that I have a Passion for Bodybuilding,Training, Nutrition, Gear,....e.t.c whatever.
    But when I do see someone handicapped or less fortunate physically (Maybe a real Obese Person or one who is emaciated) I feel like complete utter shit. Mainly for being a Narcissist, putting less time into increasing the substance of oneself to trade off bodily risks for the hopes of reaching a Physical aesthetic.
    Who knows maybe it's the Clomid Talking, in a few minutes I'm gonna watch "Jerry McGuire" with my Girl.sorry bad Joke.

Anyhow I'm not easily distracted from my goals, however shallow they may be. And despite the sympathy I feel for these people I will continue to go down the road less travelled and hopefully will have something to show for it.

Quad is offline Female Member
    I voted for "humbled". I don't think I feel "guilty" per se, but I do feel very fortunate for what I've been given. On the days that I am too hard on myself for how I look or don't look, I just think of how different my life could be in an INSTANT and I need to just sit back and be thankful for the hand I've been dealt.

Will I go out of my way to help the less fortunate? Fuk yes! Would I kick someones ass that was ripping on the less fortunate? Fuk yes! You do NOT make fun of people! That story about the guys in the gym making fun of the guy on crutches makes me want to hurt someone. No I'm not violent but ignorant sonofabitches really make me mad!!!! In an instant the person on crutches could be YOU or I and we need to always keep that in the back of our minds.

If I don't feel like going to the gym or if I think I'm too tired or hungry or whatever to work out all I have to do is think of the person in a wheelchair that would give anything to be able to head to the gym. Or I think of the people that are out serving our country that probably would LOVE to be anywhere else than at war.

Sorry to get so philosophical but this one touched a nerve this a.m.
    Winners never quit...Quitters never win!!!

Thread Information