BigD is offline Associate Member

Question How did you meet up with your current workout partner?

Don't know if this is going to get many responses but I kinda thought it would be interesting.

I was just wondering how everybody meet their workout partner. For example, long time friend, significant other, just a random person you asked to spot you one day....etc.

Also what role do you play? Are you more the mentor, the trainee, or equal.

I'll start

When I had a workout partner it was a friend I meet through school. Being he had more experience I was more of the trainee. Unfortunately I don’t have a current workout partner which really sucks. I hate having to interrupt peoples workouts to ask for a spot.

Shredz is offline Respected Member
    know him for years...i got a sport bike..and then he wanted one..so he went out and bought one..and we started riding and hanging out...and said what the hell...might as well start riding to the gym and working out

the rest is history..thanks to him..i have been transformed...he knows what he is talking about..and i owe him for sharing all his knowledge..

Jenna is offline Female Member
    I've been working out since April of 1998...and I have never had a workout partner. Kevin helped me with chest at times, but aside from that, I've done it by myself...or just asked a guy standing around to spot me.

I get easily irritated while working out and the thought of someone rambling on about their shitty day at work or nagging about this and that would get on my nerves.

I know not all workout partners are that way, but from people I know that have workout partners...I see that it can sometimes be a kind of love-hate relationship...

and there's no way bigkev will ever be my workout partner because I'm not about to have a workout in between sets removing and adding all the weight that he uses!

So, I guess I'll fly solo for now - although, I worked out a bit with TRY'N yesterday and he wasn't half bad! Maybe we'll workout a couple of days together during the week....

<<<< JENNA >>>>

I must be on the wrong side of houston, do all you work out at the same gym?

Originally posted by BigD
    I must be on the wrong side of houston, do all you work out at the same gym?
    Me, bigkev, sl180, reddog_48, TRY'N, and RaisinNuts all workout at the same gym, around the same time...there are a couple of more but I can't remember their handles.... ptbyjason has been to our gym and worked out with us, but regularly works out at another across town.

<<<< JENNA >>>>

silverfox is offline Retired Moderator
    Workout alone for same reason as jenna pretty much, i know i will show up, i never have to wait for me, i don't have to listen to someones BS. There is usually someone around that i can trust for a spot so no big deal.

bex
    bex is offline Banned
    I never have a workout partner .....you are always wondering if they are going to turn up...

Originally posted by bexsome
    I never have a workout partner .....you are always wondering if they are going to turn up...
    AND - if you don't have a workout partner - your OFF-DAY can be anyday you CHOOSE!

<<<< JENNA >>>>

broncojosh is offline Senior Member
    I don't know about you guys, but it drives me nuts when I see people jabbering away while I'm waiting for whatever they're using. The gym is NOT a social gathering...I go with the earphones on, bust ass, and leave. I probably come off as a jerk in the gym, but I don't know how people work hard without attitude. No workout partner for me

VEGETA990 is offline Associate Member
    I have had two. My first training partner was my mentor. I knew very very little about bodybuilding and he took me under his wing. I would not be or know what I know today if it was not for him. He showed me how to train and how to eat. I still ask him advice on aol's instant messenger.

My second training partner lived on the same floor as I did and we were the only two guys one the floor who worked out. I asked him if he wanted to train together. In a few months he gained about 25 pounds and I gained 15, lol. Those were so good times.

superbeast is offline Member
    I'm surprised to see so many people workout solo. I haven't had a partner in two years. I miss my old partner but I moved 60 miles away. He was also a trainer and he pushed me. He worked too many hours and our schedules didn't always work but it was good when we got together.

I'd love to find a partner that could keep up with me and had my intensity. Just haven't found one.

Terinox is offline The One & Only
    This is a great question BigD!!!

Me and my two good friends started working out in highschool in grade 12. January 2000 to be exact. We've been working out together ever since. Lucky for us, we ended up going to the same university, all three of us, so...we still be working out together

I'm surprised to see so many people prefer to go alone. I guess it all depends on who you pick. I think I read somewhere on here pick your workout partner before you pick your wife. But my best friends are very into BB so when we workout together it's all business. And when we did workout together we would call each other and make sure we were going to be there.

Keep em' coming guys.

C_Bino is offline $BAM-7246~AR-Hall of Famer
    I currently moved away from the summer to work. So i am working out alone because I dont know a single person. But I have made massive strides by pushing myself to the limits. At home I go with my brother who is the perfect workout partner. We live together so we drive there together and never have to wait for eachother and we are approx the same size/strength so we dont have to change the weighs too much between sets for eachother. He is just as intense as me and we push eachother when one is having a more lazy day to get our ass in gear. Brothers are perfect for this cuz you cant get rid of them, so they push you to death in the gym. Its great.

IronFreakX is offline Banned
    Talk bout f-king old...
    but who cares...
    no training partner..wanna join up with this dude i got a good feeling bout him especailly with the powerlifting comp coming up.....

robkesl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bex

for real, mine never wanted to train right either, just shoulders, chest, and biceps. we had to break-up. he was slowing me down.

clockworks is offline Anabolic Member
    Usually long time friends, but they are extremely flakey. I never miss workouts.

I always ask friendly looking people for spots and sometimes we become unofficial partners for a while. Its usually as equals.

Quote Originally Posted by Terinox
    This is a great question BigD!!!

Me and my two good friends started working out in highschool in grade 12. January 2000 to be exact. We've been working out together ever since. Lucky for us, we ended up going to the same university, all three of us, so...we still be working out together
    Whoa, dude. Haven't seen you in a while. Did you ever get that girl that you were going ga ga about? (sorry for the hijack)...=)

oh, i'm an idiot. this thread is 3 years old...=P

Psychotron is offline Anabolic Member
    I used to have one of my best buddies in high school spot me when i started there. When my other buddy has time in the summer he spots me, ChiTownTommy. At school i made friends with a guy who is a hard gainer, and started helping him a long, so now whenever i need a spot i just ask him.

mfenske is offline Member
    I married her three years ago. Mark

newbrew is offline Senior Member
    i dropped the soap...next thng you know i have a new best friend.

Mizfit is offline Banned
    I go alone

punchrf is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna
    I've been working out since April of 1998...and I have never had a workout partner. Kevin helped me with chest at times, but aside from that, I've done it by myself...or just asked a guy standing around to spot me.

I get easily irritated while working out and the thought of someone rambling on about their shitty day at work or nagging about this and that would get on my nerves.

I know not all workout partners are that way, but from people I know that have workout partners...I see that it can sometimes be a kind of love-hate relationship...

and there's no way bigkev will ever be my workout partner because I'm not about to have a workout in between sets removing and adding all the weight that he uses!

So, I guess I'll fly solo for now - although, I worked out a bit with TRY'N yesterday and he wasn't half bad! Maybe we'll workout a couple of days together during the week....
    i'll be your workout partner. i don't talk back much either. i'm currently running solo at the moment. my last workout partner i met at my gym because he's 5'2" ripped at about 180 pounds and me and my girl were making fun of him. once i met him hes a good guy though but i moved back to my hometown. it's funny how much better i train and gain size faster with a workout partner.

i probably haven't found a workout partner at my new gym yet because i always have the mp3 on. maybe i'll stop using it for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by punchrf
    i probably haven't found a workout partner at my new gym yet because i always have the mp3 on. maybe i'll stop using it for awhile.
    I couldn't workout without listening to my mp3 player! It keeps people from chit chatting with you and getting you out of your groove....
    Last edited by Jenna; 06-28-2005 at 04:59 PM. Reason: without is a compound word, in this case, and I had it as two words!

<<<< JENNA >>>>

Quote Originally Posted by Jenna
    I couldn't workout without listening to my mp3 player! It keeps people from chit chatting with you and getting you out of your groove....
    very true. people in my last gym were always trying to talk to me. if i'm not in the mood to talk i put the mp3 on and look toward the floor between sets. i hate when you look over at someone and they think at that point it's ok to come up to you and start talking.

SplinterCell is offline Senior Member
    I currently have 3 workout partner's, my nike mp3 player, my Shure E2c sound isolating headphones and American Head Charge...

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    My current training partner...i met in the new gym i currentyl frequent.

I walked in...he was the only dude there as strong as i am.

So i asked if i could cut in when he working out.

Now we train together...as equals

Thread Information