Neo
    Neo is offline Senior Member

Cool Am I completely nuts?

Just curious...but does anyone ever feel like their muscles are small or they are not as big as they think they should be? Even when other people think you're huge? Occasionally, on my days off, I'll think that I look smaller than normal. I think it may be because I have that desire to be at the gym constantly. My friends think I'm nuts when I complain about this. Another example is on the day that I do legs, I'll think that my upper body looks small and vice versa. Does anyone else ever experience this or have I completely gone off the deep end? :confusion

To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kinda scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus and a clown killed my dad. --Jack Handey

Canes4Ever is offline Banned

Re: Am I completely nuts?

Originally posted by Neo
    Just curious...but does anyone ever feel like their muscles are small or they are not as big as they think they should be? Even when other people think you're huge? Occasionally, on my days off, I'll think that I look smaller than normal. I think it may be because I have that desire to be at the gym constantly. My friends think I'm nuts when I complain about this. Another example is on the day that I do legs, I'll think that my upper body looks small and vice versa. Does anyone else ever experience this or have I completely gone off the deep end? :confusion
    It's called Muscle Dysmorphia bro, the opposite of Anarexia Nervosa. It can get quite serious, as you can fall into a severe depression if it gets too bad.

Neo
    Thanks Canes! I read the other threads dealing with "bigarexia" and such after reading your reply.........does anyone else ever get these thoughts? Is it semi-common with people who lift? My ex got mad and told me I was being vain. Guess there's another reason I'm glad she's an ex

EXCESS is offline Retired Moderator
    It isn't serious unless the rest of your life suffers because of muscle dysmorphia. Most of the time its just an obsession or an intense dedication. I know how you feel.

Hitman is offline Senior Member
    Originally posted by Neo
    Thanks Canes! I read the other threads dealing with "bigarexia" and such after reading your reply.........does anyone else ever get these thoughts? Is it semi-common with people who lift? My ex got mad and told me I was being vain. Guess there's another reason I'm glad she's an ex
    mate i know exactly how you feel my family and friends say im getting quit big but i look at myself and think what are the talking about. And on my rest days i actually feel guilty and have been known to go in for a workout, probably to the detriment of my muscle growth who knows.But yeah i know what your saying hopefully when i get really huge ill settle down. Good luck with this........HITMAN

Neo
    Thanks Excess and Hitman. At least I know I'm not alone. I, too, have been going in on my rest days because I feel like I'm being lazy! I do it eventhough I know that REST = GROWTH!!!! It probably is just an obesession, but a damn worth while one! LoL

DevilsDeity is offline Anabolic Member

Sicilian30 is offline Respected Member
    Happens to us all that are perfectionists about our bodies..

Originally posted by Sicilian30
    Happens to us all that are perfectionists about our bodies..
    Yes, my friend Mike suffered from this for a while. He is 5ft 8 225 lbs and 7-8% bodyfat. He would ask me to take down a mirror sometimes because it would make him angry ! Can you believe that????

This is a pic of his arm that I took in Novemeber. He was unhappy with this pic because he felt *skinny* in it. OY VEY !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Am I completely nuts?-mikebicep2.jpg  

Ironweb is offline Member
    I did not know there was a name for that. I know exactly how you feel bro. My wife has to tell me to shut up all the time because I tell her how small i am. At 6' reaching 225 now I guess that is not tiny but I sure feel that way at times. It does make me hit it harder at the gym tho.

BTW I am reaching for a bi of that size canes. Bi's are my weakness. Or is that my Dysmorphia talking I gotta go to the gym now

Originally posted by Ironweb
    BTW I am reaching for a bi of that size canes. Bi's are my weakness. Or is that my Dysmorphia talking I gotta go to the gym now
    In that pic his arms are just under 20, like about 19 3/4. He's a big guy but just doesn't think he's ever big enough. Is this really all that common amoung BBers?

It must be because as bbers we become perfectionist. We are always trying to improve and become bigger with better symmetry. There is always someone just a bit bigger more defined or whatever. It is what drives us as bbers the need to be better today than we were yesterday. The beauty of it is we are all in different stages, yet we can come together and learn and grow for others from whatever stage they are in.

ironmike7000 is offline Associate Member
    There are times where I too feel like I'm not as big or define as I was the day or week before. Personally I think it all has to do with my diet at the time. If I start eating junk food for a few days I seem to become less define. If I stay on a good diet for several weeks I look better. I think it all has to do with how well your diet is. This is just my opinion.

Neo
    Well, it's good to see that I'm not alone! Canes, your buddy's arms are enormous!!! He's done some great work!!! As for me, I actually had a guy come up to me at the gym to ask me advice on lifting. He claimed that my muscle tone was what he wanted! But still I felt like I didn't look my best! It's a never ending cycle to reach perfection, I guess!

Originally posted by Neo
    Well, it's good to see that I'm not alone! Canes, your buddy's arms are enormous!!! He's done some great work!!! As for me, I actually had a guy come up to me at the gym to ask me advice on lifting. He claimed that my muscle tone was what he wanted! But still I felt like I didn't look my best! It's a never ending cycle to reach perfection, I guess!
    Yes he is a big guy, 5ft 8 and his competition weight was around 219 (3% bodyfat).

One time when we were working out at the gym, he stopped the place when he was deadlifting 495 for 2 sets of 8 reps. Everyone just stopped and stared.

Neo
    495lbs!!!!! Whoa!

Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh my... I could be eating a slow learner.

dyno45 is offline Junior Member
    I'm with you guys on this one. Although I recently have had a reason to. I have dropped probably 10 lbs in the last 3 weeks and have no real reason for it. Maybe it's because I have been off for a little more than 6 months now. (since last cycle) Although before I lost the weight, I always felt very small and this was whe I was the heaviest I have ever been in my life. It sucks. Sometimes I go to the gym on my off day just to make me feel like I'm doing all I can.

Neo
    Originally posted by dyno45
    It sucks. Sometimes I go to the gym on my off day just to make me feel like I'm doing all I can.

I know exactly what you mean. I feel like I'm slackin' off and being lazy on my days off!!!! I feel like I shrink spontaneously when I'm not at the gym! It's nuts!!!

Originally posted by Neo
    [B] 495lbs!!!!! Whoa!
    [B]
    Yeah that was everyone else's reaction too

Originally posted by Diesel
    I feel the same way most of the time bro.
    Diesel, you dislike it, the being stared at in the gym? It's not against you are anything but it awe's normal folks like us. Don't take that the wrong way, you are abnormal but it in a good way....your strength probably puts you in the top 5% of strength of all men on the earth....think of that. JMO.

Billy Boy is offline Retired Moderator
    Mikes arm looks good cane!

Everybody sufferes from that I know I do.I never see a bb in the mirror just some guy who trains whose arms are too small chest is a bit flat and legs like matchsticks.It sucks but it keeps us modest

Originally posted by Billy Boy
    Mikes arm looks good cane!

Everybody sufferes from that I know I do.I never see a bb in the mirror just some guy who trains whose arms are too small chest is a bit flat and legs like matchsticks.It sucks but it keeps us modest
    Yes Billy Boy, I know what you mean, I also have seen my body change over the last 3 years, but I am not happy at all really. I've gained too much fat even though I am sure I have put on about 15-20 lbs of muscle.

bex
    bex is offline Banned
    Muscle dysmorphia (bigorexia)
    What is muscle dysmorphia?
    Sometimes called bigorexia, muscle dysmorphia is the opposite of anorexia nervosa. People with this disorder obsess about being small and undeveloped. They worry that they are too little and too frail. Even if they have good muscle mass, they believe their muscles are inadequate.

In efforts to fix their perceived smallness, people with muscle dysmorphia lift weights, do resistance training, and exercise compulsively. They may take steroids or other muscle-building drugs, a practice with potentially lethal consequences.

Who gets muscle dysmorphia?
    Both men and women. So far there are no statistics available, but researchers suspect the disorder is more common in males since the culturally defined ideal male is big and strong while the ideal female is small and thin.

Consequences of muscle dysmorphia
    The constant preoccupation with perceived smallness interferes with school and career accomplishments. It robs friendships and romantic relationships of spontaneity and enjoyment. Since the person is exceedingly self-conscious at all times, s/he cannot relax and enjoy life without worrying about how other people may be seeing, and criticizing, the perceived smallness.

In almost all cases, people with muscle dysmorphia are not small at all. Many have well-developed musculature, and some even compete in body building competitions.

Muscle dysmorphia may be one kind of obsessive-compulsive disorder. People with this problem cannot or will not stop their excessive exercise even when they are injured. If they abuse steroids in service of building bulk, they will not give up this unhealthy practice even when they fully understand the risks involved.

Treatment of muscle dysmorphia
    Many people with this problem resist getting treatment stating that they are content with the way they are. Some admit they are afraid that if they give up the drugs and exercise, they will wither away to frailty.

Family members and concerned friends may be able to persuade the person to at least get an evaluation by focusing on the problems caused by the behaviors, such as job loss, relationship failure, and physical harm.

Nonetheless, about half of people with this problem are so convinced of their perceived smallness that they refuse help and continue their excessive exercise and steroid use .

For those who enter treatment, cognitive-behavioral therapy combined with medication holds promise. The best place to start is an evaluation by a physician trained in sports medicine. Ask for a referral to a mental health counselor who also works with athletes. After both professionals have completed their evaluations, consider their recommendations and choose a course of action that is in your own best interests. Best wishes

Hitman is offline Senior Member
    good info bexsome well done.

Neo
    Thanks for the info, Bexsome.

good stuff bex. So is that to say that everyone on this board has it according to the steroid use ? Hmmm

Thread Information