Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gay Men

GettinBig is offline New Member

Gay Men

I was kind of wondering what others opinions would be of this. I work out in a gym where there just happens to be a a lot of gay men. Is it me or do gay guys take their bodies way more seriously then us straight guys? Why is that?

jammergsxr is offline Member
    Gay guys are very sharp,that femenine gene you know.If you want an honest opinion on your body just ask a gay guy!

Pete235 is offline Retired Moderator
    Originally posted by jammergsxr
    Gay guys are very sharp,that femenine gene you know.If you want an honest opinion on your body just ask a gay guy!
    Not all gay men are feminine.

silverfox is offline Retired Moderator
    I agree with pete, however, generally speaking gay men are in better shape overall than stright.

JP1570 is offline Senior Member
    I think we're exploring a lot of stereotypes here. Not all gay men cut hair, work out, and talk about their figures. They are simply portrayed like that on TV. I can understand that this must get pretty annoying at times. Being from Louisiana, we get portrayed as dumb redknecks. Characters in movies who are supposedly from new orleans talk with deep southern accents and wear tails everywhere they go. Sorry, I grew up there, and it's nothing like that. I think the general stereotype for gay men is also pretty false, at least it it for almost all gay men I know.

tryingtogetbig is offline Whiney Member
    I really hadn't ever paid attention. Don't think I will start now either. Just my nickels worth.

peace,

ttgb

bex
    bex is offline Banned
    Hey the gay subject has come to life AGAIN..

Billy Boy is offline Retired Moderator
    Maybe gay men workout and try to look like the type of guy they would like to attract?

Canes4Ever is offline Banned
    Originally posted by Pete235

Not all gay men are feminine.
    Exactly, I am gay but not FEMININE. Trust me on that !!! I am a man, not a lady !

Now, to answer the question; Yes looking good is paramount to many in the Gay Community.

Because we are attracted to men, instead of women, we are attracted to exactly what you are attracted to in women. If the straight man appreciates a women that has curves and is voluptuous, wouldn't it be par for the course that a gay man would enjoy and expect his men to be hyper-masculine men, or bodybuilderesque ?

There are all types of gay men, but the ones I have met most frequently are not the limp-wristed type but the everyday, ordinary looking guy, who you would never suspect of being "that way". Most of those guys seem to prefer other masculine men.

Originally posted by bex
    Hey the gay subject has come to life AGAIN..
    It wasn't me either !!! I didn't start it !

partyboynyc is offline Anabolic Member

hmmmmmm interesting,haha

i would have to say that 50% of my friends are gay and they look 10,000 times better than my str8 homophobic friends.str8 guys just look so jeans and t-shirt.ok, maybe i'm generalizing becuase i'm str8 and i don't own a pair of jeans, but if you came to chelsea in manhattan and walked around for a day i guarentee alot of people on this board would second guess how good their physique really is. i don't think it's a str8 or gay thing, just a pride thing.it's hard to look shitty in nyc because if you do then you're out of the loop. ok this is gogn nowhere .

Originally posted by Billy Boy
    Maybe gay men workout and try to look like the type of guy they would like to attract?
    Very well said BillyBoy

The Baron is offline Fourth Koala of the Apocalypse
    Originally posted by JP1570
    I think we're exploring a lot of stereotypes here. Not all gay men cut hair, work out, and talk about their figures. They are simply portrayed like that on TV. I can understand that this must get pretty annoying at times. Being from Louisiana, we get portrayed as dumb redknecks. Characters in movies who are supposedly from new orleans talk with deep southern accents and wear tails everywhere they go. Sorry, I grew up there, and it's nothing like that. I think the general stereotype for gay men is also pretty false, at least it it for almost all gay men I know.
    Some gay men seem to revel in the stereotype. I think a few of them conform to the stereotype just as a joke on us LOL! I think it sort of dis-empowers us in our ability to poke malicious fun at them or something. Kinda like Black guys who call each other "niggah" all the time. Sort of takes all the air out of it and makes it less potent as a gratuitous insult, I think.

One reason the stereotype exists in the first place is that the minority who DO act that way are noticeable, and the majority, I guess, who don't, you never really notice them or realize that they are gay until they tell you or you see them holding their "buddy's" hand in an intimate sort of way.

Neo
    Neo is offline Senior Member
    Originally posted by tryingtogetbig
    I really hadn't ever paid attention. Don't think I will start now either. Just my nickels worth.
    My sentiments exactly....

JP1570 is offline Senior Member
    Yea, I guess my knowledge on the gay community is pretty sub-par. My opinion is pretty uneducated. Something about the deep south and just not that much open gayness, not much interracial dating, not much variety period. When you get out, you really have to get acclamated to the rest of the world. I constantly think about derogatory words I used to use referring to gays and I'm kind've ashamed. Anyway, guess you have to learn sometime.

theron is offline Associate Member
    If someone like a male likes to look at other male bodybuilders does that make that person gay?

jammergsxr is offline Member
    trying to get big has said it best!
    Billy boy is right on!
    JP1570 needs to lay off the clomid!
    canes I really meant what I said as a compliment but sorry if I offended you,Here in Ohio Most Ive seen are some real flamers!JP I'm just funning ya.....dont freak!

EXCESS is offline Retired Moderator
    Originally posted by theron
    If someone like a male likes to look at other male bodybuilders does that make that person gay?
    The reason I'm straight isn't because I like to look at women - I'm just straight, I didn't decide it. I'm pretty sure that someone like Canes didn't just see a guy with a nice physique and decide that he wants to be gay. Its a lot more complicated than that.....or is it more simple? I dunno!

Originally posted by EXCESS

The reason I'm straight isn't because I like to look at women - I'm just straight, I didn't decide it. I'm pretty sure that someone like Canes didn't just see a guy with a nice physique and decide that he wants to be gay. Its a lot more complicated than that.....or is it more simple? I dunno!
    Excess your are spot on with your analysis. I didn't decide one day I was GOING TO BE GAY, it was just one day when I was about 9 I started being facinated by men's biceps, and I didn't know why, by the time I was 10 I was doing *that* to pictures of male bodybuilders in the magazines.

It's as simple as that.

$uperman is offline Member
    whoa canes...... too much info there buddy.

Ajax is offline Senior Member
    Originally posted by Canes4Ever

I didn't decide one day I was GOING TO BE GAY, it was just one day when I was about 9 I started being facinated by men's biceps, and I didn't know why, by the time I was 10 I was doing *that* to pictures of male bodybuilders in the magazines.
    Now the mystery of why you chose to hook up with BigGunz is finally revealed!

==================================================

Gay men know what a sexy male body looks like, so when they look in the mirror they get pretty good feedback. The rest of us (heterosexuals) look in the mirror and say "Damn I look good" based more on ego than on any empirical evidence!

And let's not even start talking about how well those boys dress!
    Last edited by Ajax; 05-10-2002 at 03:00 AM.

freakout is offline Associate Member
    I believe, in Asia, there are two main types of gays who gyms:

(i) People who gym because they love to gym and look big. They may like guys who are big and hunky like them or they simply love the feeling of gymming heavily.

(ii) People who gym because they want to look good and flaunt as much muscles as possible. These people sees their bodies as a fashion item and thus would try all means to look yummy.

Well, well ... in short i called (i) buddies (ii) himbos...

Last edited by freakout; 05-10-2002 at 07:59 AM.

TNT
    TNT is offline Retired Moderator
    Originally posted by $uperman
    Only to someone who never did *that* to a picture in Playboy, Penthouse, Hustler, etc.
    Or maybe to a guy who did.

(Nothing personal, $uperman . . . just couldn't resist.)

Originally posted by $uperman
    No just wanted to finally put to rest with you guys the silly notion that gay men CHOOSE to be gay anymore than straight men choose to be straight.

Originally posted by Ajax

Now the mystery of why you chose to hook up with BigGunz is finally revealed!

==================================================

Gay men know what a sexy male body looks like, so when they look in the mirror they get pretty good feedback. The rest of us (heterosexuals) look in the mirror and say "Damn I look good" based more on ego than on any empirical evidence!

And let's not even start talking about how well those boys dress!
    Oh nooooo, what is next ? <soap opera organ music playing>

<soap opera announcer voice>

Will Canes reveal next who is the sexiest dresser on AR ?

<more soap opera organ music>

or Will Canes tell who wears the sexiest cologne ?

Stay tuned, same Gay Channel, same Gay Time !

<soap opera organ music flourish >

silverfox is offline Retired Moderator
    lol canes...

BigD is offline Associate Member
    Originally posted by theron
    I think it depends on how you look at them. If you look at them to admire their physic i dont see that being a gay thing, but if you start looking at pics and the next thing you know is you are doing "that" then well you probably should have a clue by then.

On a side note I've always wondered why do some gay men have to be so flamingly gay? Is it their way of telling the world they are gay or what? I have no problem with someone being gay but why do some have to act more feminine then a woman?

TNT

Cool Just a note . . .

. . . for those who think that Canes sometimes goes a bit too far (and I am not one of them).

Always remember, we could have gotten May1010 instead.

(Note for newbies: May1010 is a well-known denizen of other AS boards who tends to be, um, very graphic about his alleged gay exploits.)

Originally posted by BigD
    On a side note I've always wondered why do some gay men have to be so flamingly gay? Is it their way of telling the world they are gay or what? I have no problem with someone being gay but why do some have to act more feminine then a woman?
    I've never been able to figure this one out myself. I just have never wanted to be feminine. I love being a man, I love everything that is masculine....beer & football, beer & baseball, beer & fishing and of course beer & farting

Re: Just a note . . .

Originally posted by TNT
    . . . for those who think that Canes sometimes goes a bit too far (and I am not one of them).

Always remember, we could have gotten May1010 instead.

(Note for newbies: May1010 is a well-known denizen of other AS boards who tends to be, um, very graphic about his alleged gay exploits.)
    I have heard of that guy before.....sounds kinda dangerous to me

$uperman is offline Member
    Originally posted by TNT
    Only to someone who never did *that* to a picture in Playboy, Penthouse, Hustler, etc.
    Or maybe to a guy who did.

(Nothing personal, $uperman . . . just couldn't resist.)
    i know i know...... i just happen to be glancing threw a M&F mag when i was checking out that post lol. i was like omg... canes did *that* to the same dudes im looking at right now. no offence canes lol.

GymJunkie is offline New Member
    As a newbie here I hope this is not too out of line but I would like to ask those who are openly gay here a question that as always been on my mind.

Being gay is just one facet of yourself correct? I mean being gay (your sexuality) does not solely define who you are (just as my heterosexuality does not define me). I work with several gay men and women and they are all cool. But why is it that some must thrust their gayness in your face? By that I mean the gay pride shirt, the rainbow sticker, etc. I do not go around and say "I am hetero and proud of it!" Heck many might even take that comment as close-minded and bigoted. I have no problem with a gay person...heck what they do with their sexuality is their business BUT why do some have to use it as a club to blungeon me with??

Thanks for the enlightement!

TNT

Cool I always find it fascinating . . .

. . . when a gay-related thread (which is much more rare on A.R. than on some other AS boards) ends up getting more replies (especially from straight dudes) than most other threads. At least, here on A.R., they tend to be much more diplomatic than on the other boards.

Anyway, I don't think that a gay person who wears a pride shirt or has a rainbow sticker on their car is "bludgeoning" or thrusting it in your face (wait a second . . . nah, I'm not gonna touch that line) any more than someone with an African flag or a "Kiss me, I'm Polish" bumper sticker.

Whether we like it or not (and many people do like it, and find it funny), gays are still the only group (ethnic or otherwise) that can be openly joked about in both the media and real life. (When was the last time you saw a white comedian openly put on blackface and tell racial jokes? Well, that's intended to be a rhetorical question, but the answer is Ted Danson, who did it at a tribute to his then-girlfriend Whoopi Goldberg. And he got into deep shit for it.)

The fact is that any expression of "gayness" confronts straight guys with an issue by which they feel threatened and with which they do not want to be confronted. Part of that is due to the sexual angle - if you're ahite, a black guy may look at you, but you don't think he's going to try and make you black (or vice versa). But if a gay guy looks at you, you automatically assume that he wants to hump you (in which case, some of you are only flattering yourselves. ).

Now, let's take Canes. He's a funny guy, knows the bodybuilding scene better than most bodybuilders, and is openly gay. Some of his posts touch on the gay issue, but they are not, by any means, a majority of his total posts. If you happen to have some hang-ups about the gay issue (and most guys do, so I'm not singling anyone out), you will tend to notice these posts more than others. It's that simple.

Let's say that you walk into a club in which there are 100 couples dancing. Ninety-nine of the couples are straight (male-female), and the other couple is, say, Canes and BigGunz. Wouldn't you take notice of that? (Again, a rhetorical question - of course you would. Just as you would notice if 99 of the couples were white and only one couple was of any other racial or ethnic group.) That is neither positive or negative in itself, simply an indication that it's an issue which you haven't considered.

By the way, welcome to the board, GymJunkie. Wanna fuck?*

* Yes, that's a joke. Or haven't you heard about the A.R., um, initiation rite?

GymJunkie is offline New Member

Re: I always find it fascinating . . .

Originally posted by TNT
    By the way, welcome to the board, GymJunkie. Wanna fuck?*

* Yes, that's a joke. Or haven't you heard about the A.R., um, initiation rite?
    Hahahahah....thanks but no, I think my wife would get jealous?

BTW..."bludgeon" was a strong word. I really am not uncomfortable aroung gay men...and if one says I am good looking I am secure enough in myself to say "thank you" and let it be. Like I said...I was just curious as to why some seem to make their sexual orientation THE defining point in their lives instead of just one of many.

Oh and as for Biggunz and Cane dancing....from what I have heard both a big guys so hell yeah I would notice....and then stay VERY far away incase they wanted to kick my ass for some reason!

Thanks for the welcome...I have lurked here a bit and really enjoy this board. The caliber of the members seems to be way beyond that of most of the AS boards I have visited.

[This post was edited to correct the syntax on one of GymJunkie's smilies. None of his original text was changed.]
    Last edited by TNT; 05-10-2002 at 04:48 PM.

freakout is offline Associate Member
    As far as I know, majority of gays rather go for gay guys rather than str8 guys both emotionally and sexually... thus if you are str8 and you have been approached by a gay for stuff you could not handle, just relate to him that you are not interested and it is much easier than rejecting a salesman on your doorstep!

TNT

Well put, freakout...

Originally posted by freakout
    ...if you are str8 and you have been approached by a gay for stuff you could not handle, just relate to him that you are not interested and it is much easier than rejecting a salesman on your doorstep!
    This is especially good advice if your gym has a single-sex (rather than co-ed) sauna or steam room, as it is very common to be "cruised" by gay guys in such an environment. Rather than trying to kick ass (and end up getting yours kicked instead, since some gay guys are very bulked), it's a lot smoother to be cool and just say, "No thanks, man, that's not my scene." And yes, you can feel flattered that you were noticed in the first place (it's an indicator that women will also notice you) - it won't turn you gay.

Re: Well put, freakout...

Originally posted by TNT
    This is especially good advice if your gym has a single-sex (rather than co-ed) sauna or steam room, as it is very common to be "cruised" by gay guys in such an environment. Rather than trying to kick ass (and end up getting yours kicked instead, since some gay guys are very bulked), it's a lot smoother to be cool and just say, "No thanks, man, that's not my scene." And yes, you can feel flattered that you were noticed in the first place (it's an indicator that women will also notice you) - it won't turn you gay.
    A couple of years ago I pushed my comfort level while I was visiting friends in Nashville. My buddy and his wife in Nashville have several gay couples living in their neighborhood and they had become good friends with them (many would baby sit for my buddy when they needed a babysitter, so they were pretty close friends). Well my buddies neighbors had talked him and his wife into going to a gay bar with them, where every Friday night they had stage acts, which mostly were drag queens getting on stage and performing. My buddy and his wife went many more times before we were out there visiting and they had been telling us what a good time they had out there.

Now I am completely comfortable with a man being gay (or woman), don't get me wrong here, but to go to a gay bar and watch drag queens was definitely out of my "comfort zone." When we got to the bar the first thing I noticed was gay couples dancing with each other, which was/isn't a big deal. The show started about an hour after we were there, and let me tell you it was a blast! I have never been much on the drag queen thing (remember I'm a small town Texas boy), but once again I learned an important lesson in life - basically, we are all the same. I visited with several of the performers as they were walking around and what do ya know, they were actually pretty nice human beings. Who would have thought it!!

But, for some reason I was hesitant to go to the restroom??!! I mean, it's a gay bar and I'm not gay. But the beer won out and I went. I was almost disapointed when not one guy in the restroom even noticed me or gave a second glance??!! I know this sounds weird, but like I said this was definitely out of my comfort zone. Another important life lesson - WE ARE ALL THE SAME! We may have different preferences, goals, turn ons, skin color, money, etc., but we truly are more the same than we are different. Going into the restroom at a gay bar isn't any different than going into a restroom at a str8 bar!!

Point of this story you ask? Don't be scared to get out of your "comfort zone"!!! Don't make assumptions on something until you know first hand what the result is. It is kind of like people judging bb's that do gear. How can they make an educated assumption of what using gear is like until they actually experience it??!! Sometimes when it seems like people are "throwing something in your face", it truly could be that you are just not comfortable enough with something different to you yet. At that point who is it that really needs to change?

PS - I didn't get hit on one single time!! I guess I am just as ugly to the men as I am the women!! lol My wife did get hit on by another woman, which for some very unexplainable reason I thought was a turn on. The wives danced all night, and most of it was not with us. Everyone truly had a good time!

Sorry such a long story, but I hadn't thought about it in a long time and I wanted to share it with some of my bros that are still a little "homophobic". I'm not pointing fingers either, there will still be more people reading and that's who I am talking about!!!! lol

peace,

ttgb

TNT

Re: Re: Well put, freakout...

Originally posted by tryingtogetbig
    Going into the restroom at a gay bar isn't any different than going into a restroom at a str8 bar!!
    What??? The men's room didn't have a bidet?*

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

Just be thankful it was a drag bar. If it were an S&M bar, the men's room would have had a sling. (Yes, I know that was an esoteric joke.)

* Look it up. Or watch Victor, Victoria.

Re: Re: Re: Well put, freakout...

Originally posted by TNT
    What??? The men's room didn't have a bidet?*

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

Just be thankful it was a drag bar. If it were an S&M bar, the men's room would have had a sling. (Yes, I know that was an esoteric joke.)

* Look it up. Or watch Victor, Victoria.

ummmmhhh...TNT, how do you know these things bro?

peace,

ttgb

Re: And now, a word from our sponsor......

Originally posted by BigGunz
    ...PSS. A bidet? Hell, most of them don't have vanity table to freshen the makeup.

Have a great day!

LMAO! Good BigGunz, very good!!

peace,

ttgb

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information