Sicilian30 is offline Respected Member

Brain Freezes how to stop them

Well if any of you like smoothies but hate the brain freezes that go along with them, I thought I would share something that worked for me after reading about his in a mag. It works believe me.
    According to the article, when you drink something like a smootie, your brain does not have enough time to process that what you are drinking is cold (therefore causing the brain freeze that you feel). Most of us drink cold things (icees, smoothies, frozen shakes etc), like we do soda's.
    The theory is, that the back of your tongue does not have receptors to tell if a beverage or food is hot or cold. The tip and front of the tongue is what determines if something is hot or cold.
    Therefore when drinking a smoothie or other cold cold beverage, what is recommended, leaving the beverage on the tip of your tongue (or front of the mouth) and also letting the cold beverage flow down the sides of the insides of your mouth before allowing it to go to the back of your tongue as if you were swallowing.
    First off, when drink a cold beverage (something extrememly cold), the front of the tongue tells the brain that the beverage is cold, allowing the drink to flow down the sides of your tongue and mouth, also helps warm the beverage and allow your brain and body to process that the drink is cold.
    It is hard to explain, but it works guys it really works. I like drinking a smoothie after I work out, (my gym makes the best).
    Try it, it really does work! Happy sipping..

Neo
    Neo is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the info. I went to a cookout at my buddy's house the other night and they had frozen marguaritas and such. God damn I hate brain freezes. I wish I had read this prior to going!

Sicilian30 is offline Respected Member
    LOL Neo, well it works with margarita's, but doesn't help with the way you feel the next day.. ha ha... that well, asprin and alot of rest..

Neo
    Neo is offline Senior Member
    For hangovers......gatorade and some advil.....

Thread Information