bigkev is offline Scamming Traitor

Talking bigkev coaches little league

i coach my nephews little league team, and i get so much enjoyment out of it i thought i would share it with everyone. one is 7, about to be 8(i coach his team) and the other is 6(i umpire his games). we are in 1st place in our division, and the little guys are awesome. they run around me like i am a super hero and i love every minute of it.

kids are awesome. gotta love kids!

Lil D is offline Junior Member
    Keep up the good work. I am a pre-school teacher I know the feeling...kids are awesome.

MBaraso is offline Retired Mod
    Good Job BigK! Kids need more possitive role models then what they see on tv these days....

M

EXCESS is offline Retired Moderator
    Great job Kev! Does anyone argue your calls when you're the umpire?

i cut the little guys i umpire alot of slack, they are only 5-6 and positive reenforcement is what they need. but the parents i have no mercy on!

now my 8 year olds are in it to win! we have fun, but our focus is on being the best. i am thrilled at having the opprotunity to instill things in them that will last a life time. THAT, is a gift worth giving. i make them shake hands like men and look each other in the eye when they talk.... little things that my grandfather taught me that i will never forget.

$uperman is offline Member
    i helped my dad coach last year. i really enjoy watcing the lil kids play ball. i luv working with them on their game. it reminds me of when i was little and i use to look up to the older kids that helped us out. i know they really appreaciate us being out there

Canes4Ever is offline Banned
    As a baseball fan, I am also extrememly happy to hear this news.

Before every U of Miami baseball game they have at least one (one time they had 4) little league team in uniform on the field and call the little fellas names out over the loudspeaker and they run like the dickens to their position on the field, sometimes they even let them play a little bit of "throw around". Then the Hurricanes take the field and the kids get to talk to the players for a minute, get an autograph etc, and then they play the National Anthem.

Its a great ploy to get the parents & kids to a game, everyone enjoys seeing the little guys run and play around on the field.

I believe the program is called "The University of Miami Baseball Buddys".

BigKev you are helping to ensure the future of the game we love. My hat is off to you !

Uconish is offline Member
    Hey Kev are you a big softie J/K i think thats awesome that you help out the kids I work with 9-11 year olds in the summer all the time At that age theyre fun to play with cause theyre old enough to be competitive yet they still act like kids

ironmike7000 is offline Associate Member
    big Kev......I used to coach little league baseball also when my son and daughter played years ago. I had a blast! I tried to help the kids have fun too. I never hollared or scolded any of my players anytime. I always tried to praise and reassure them instead. But your right the parents can be a real pain in the ass!Good luck and I'm sure you'll have alot of fun!

Babyweight is offline Female Member
    So Bigkev, do you think you will ever have kids if you don't mind me asking?? I love it when I see a man get enjoyment out of being with children & participating in sports & recreation with them. I've noticed children are really fascinated by adults who can give them a good role model. And I'm sure you fit that description quite well.

Pheedno is offline Respected Member
    Thats great bigK. i used to umpire a neighbors games when i was about 16. it was fun but coaches and parents always trying to get on you when your umping at that age. Gotta put'em in their place. Kids are great though. It's almost uphoric when a child looks at you as a role model. One of the greatest feelings ever.

Neo
    Neo is offline Senior Member
    Thats great BigKev!!!! I'd love to be there when the parents get out of hand and bigkev steps in!!!

ann
    ann is offline Female Member
    My son ( 5) is playing Tball for the first time this year. It is the funnest thing to watch ; and such enjoyment for us to see him out there, among his little peers, semi-sharing, and learning teamwork

like ironmike said, yelling and condemning is a no-no. we have rules, but they are enforced with a smile and a pat on the back.

and to babyweight, i would love more than anything to have kids right now, but, you just have to wait for the right person to come along to share them with. but kids are definately in my future, near future.

BigD is offline Associate Member
    Originally posted by EXCESS
    Great job Kev! Does anyone argue your calls when you're the umpire?
    That's exactly what I was thinking.

No flame Kev but do you ever see any discrimination due to your size from any of the parents?

Originally posted by BigD

That's exactly what I was thinking.

No flame Kev but do you ever see any discrimination due to your size from any of the parents?
    Good question, I also wonder have you ever had a kid so scared of you that they can't perform ?

Ironweb is offline Member
    Thats cool BK. I had the pleasure of coaching my son in soccer a few years and loved every minute of it. The yelling I could never understand from other coachs. Teach them the love of the game the rest will come. Enjoy....

Butch is offline Anabolic Member
    Hey BigKev, isn't it a blast? I coach my nephews t-ball team, The Yankees. We are o-5, but at that age records don't matter. My brother-in-law have the greatest time. It make your Saturdays that much better.

Kids are the greatest high. No matter what kind of day you are having, you go home and see a child smile at you...then it makes your day that much better.

Good luck to your team BigKev!!!!!!!

Billy Boy is offline Retired Moderator
    Nice one Kev

I helped out teaching the kids Ju Jitsu and man they are funny and so clever as well.At the end of the session they would charge me and wrestle me to the floor (16 in all from 8-13) and basically just harress me for like 10mins.Miss those days have to get back into teaching the kids.

Good work bro not many people take time out for kids then moan that they grow up into ignorant brats.We need to spend more time with our youth and teach them that education and life can be fun and does not have to involve racism,gender bashing,or violence.

Originally posted by Billy Boy
    Good work bro not many people take time out for kids then moan that they grow up into ignorant brats.We need to spend more time with our youth and teach them that education and life can be fun and does not have to involve racism,gender bashing,or violence.

Very wise words Billy Boy !

Fullback57 is offline Associate Member
    Awesome work BigKev!!! I know where your coming from.I coach high school football, I find it very rewarding to be able to not only coach these kids and help them play the sport that is a major passion in my life, but teach them a little bit about life and becoming men. Though it is different though as you and alot of others say they coach younger kids, high school kids can be challenging at times, but none the less I wouldnt trade my coaching experiences the past 3 years for anything.

bronzebeefcake is offline Associate Member
    Nice to hear that there are fellow coaches out there....I my self coach and of all sports softbal....ASA 10 and under, we are the defending state champs.....Found out that coaching girls is a little more challenging than the boys, alot of them are developing their little personalitys(a few act like their mothers lol)...We sometimes find it harder to keep them in line (they cry a little more)but running always works...

Like bigkev said you gotta love the kids and I wouldnt trade this in for the world.A chance to touch someones life and teach them values(priceless)....We will be entering the state tournament this mothers day weekend as one of the top seeds...We plan on doing well but most of all we plan of having a good time....

good luck to all and ALOHA.......Bronze

partyboynyc is offline Anabolic Member

HOW MANY TIMES I CAN SAY IT, BUT.........

YOU'RE THE MAN BK!!!!I THINK IT'S GREAT THAT YOU ARE DOING THAT. YOU HAVE TO TAKE A PICTURE W/ YOU AND YOUR TEAM SO WE CAN SEE!!!

oh yea bro, i will definately post a pic of me and my little guys!

Originally posted by bigkev
    oh yea bro, i will definately post a pic of me and my little guys!
    I think that would be great BigKev. Giving to the kids makes it all worthwhile.

Gear101 is offline Member
    i've umpire a couple of games over the last two or three years too.. it's alot of fun if anyone thinking about doing it.. it's fun the watch the little one's have fun... try it you'll love it

Thread Information