bigkev is offline Scamming Traitor

anyone know anything about wallpapering and the cost?

i just moved into a knew town home and i dont like the wall paper. i dont know the exact dementions of the rooms in question, but its a kitchen, a big master bath, and a bath upstairs(medium). roughly, how much would it cost to get this re wallpapered?

bad_man is offline Anabolic Member
    Wow, this is one subject i NEVER expected to see on this board.

I myself hate wallpaper. My mom wallpapered every single room in the house when I was younger. Most wallpaper comes off quite easily, expecially if it's been up for a while. get a big spray bottle and really drench it with hot water. Then peel it off with a big putty knife. Be careful though, not to gouge the walls.

You may need to sand the residue off later before you paint - or put up new wallpaper, if you really insist

partyboynyc is offline Anabolic Member

i can tell you this

i just rewallpapered my mom's kitchen, and upstairs bathroom and the best way to get it to come off when you are stripping the old stuff is the black and decker wallpaper steamer.you just run it along the old wallpaper and the steam and heat melts to glue and you can just peel it off. i was skeptical of the steamer when it was suggested to me, but after using it it was great.i took down the wallpaper in both room which are a decent size in 3 hours.
    like diesal said about price, it all depends on what you want.i know my mom paid $35 a roll.she needed 3 rolls for the kitchen.i think the bathroom stuff was cheaper.it really all depends on what you are looking for, but if you want a hassle free time taking down the existing stuff get that steamer!!!

Terinox is offline The One & Only
    Hay bro,

My brother was in the exactly same situation as you. The bought a house here in the Toronto area, and they really didn't like the wallpaper, it made the house look too dark, and they wanted something more lighter/brighter.

Like partyboynyc said, you def. have to get a wallpaper stream machine thing. My brother rented one at Home Depot for about 25 bucks or so per night. You HAVE to have something like this. It's real easy, just hold it over the wallpaper for a minute or so and it just peels right off.

Now my bro was planning on putting up new wallpaper but they realized it was WAY to time consuming, so they decided to paint instead. If this is an option for you, then I suggest painting, it would be better off. My brother painted his kitchen

Terinox is offline The One & Only
    oops, let me continue...

My brother painted his kitchen OVER the wallpaper and it still looked great. If your planning on hiring someone else to do it, then I have no idea about the cost for the wallpaper, but a painter, for 3-4 rooms or so, could cost up to $2000 bucks I think.

Vegas Kid is offline Senior Member
    Agree with the steamer but also might want to buy a little scoarer device. It's a little wheel that you roll over the wallpaper and it puts little wholes in it. This helps the steam to get behind the paper. If it's an old house and it has shiny or metal in the wallpaper then you can forget about getting that shit off. We had tried everything and even the pros had problems with that.

RON
    RON is offline Anabolic Member
    Bigkev, I used to be a painter so I have a little experience with this. I used a hudson sprayer and soaked it. Steam would work too I guess. Just be aware that some papers are not stuck on with water based glue So, they might require a special solution to take them off. The best way is to try a little strip and see if soaking it works.

Billy Boy is offline Retired Moderator
    Ah I hate wall papering its the pits bro! HAve you seen the wall paper that you can buy already glued you just dip it in the water and slap it to the wall and Hey Presto its on!

Me personally I would never ever wall paper any of my rooms I,m crap at it I end up looking like one of those stupid ghosts of Scooby Do

As for the cost depends on the paper but I think htye all come in std roll sizes.

EXCESS is offline Retired Moderator
    Use a Black and Decker steamer just like partyboy said. As far as rewallpapering, I'd scrap that idea. There are so many funky painting techniques that are easy to do that will give your home a modern look.

bigkev is offline Scamming Traitor
    you guys are way better than i am!!!lol that wallpapering stuff is way to tedious for me, i have zero patience when it comes to stuff like that!

i want to hire someone to do it. what i need is just a rough estimate of how much it would cost for me to hire someone to do it, just a ballpark figure, so that i will know whether or not he gives me a bullshit quote.

RON
    RON is offline Anabolic Member
    Tell you the truth I hate doing it too. Thank God I don't do that shit anymore. I don't really remember what I charged people. I'll ask my Brother for ya though. He's a General Contractor and I think he has a per square inch price he quotes standardly. I'll see what his painter charges him too cause, you shouldn't pay General Contractors prices(their high as hell). Also like Excess said those designer paint styles are pretty cool (I.E. sponge paint) I was thinking of having his guy do my kitchen in sponge.

Hitman is offline Senior Member
    Hey big kev if you do hire someone to do the job for you ,buy the wallpaper yourself then then haggle about a price, that way he cant mark up the price of the wallpaper but watch out he can still screw ya on labour.ok 1 roll of paper should give you 4-5 drops(a drop being ceiling to floor 4-5 times. The average room has 16 drops, 4 walls, 4 drops per wall. Now you can go for pre glued or not, i go for pre glued less mess and can be cheaper all you have to do is fill your bath tub and soak a drop for about 1 min then whack it up. Never measure exactly, always over hang 3 inches or so top and bottom.That should get you started as for labour most guys i know charge 15-20 an hour but you might get someone to do a cashy job or perky as we call it which involves no tax so its cheaper still. Hope that helped..........HITMAN

Babyweight is offline Female Member
    Paint, Paint, Paint...It's much better, more reasonable, and rarely goes out of style. If you have too, pay someone to remove the paper & then have the walls painted. JMO. Just did my whole house & kitchen.

Full Intensity is offline Anabolic Member
    Originally posted by Babyweight
    Paint, Paint, Paint...It's much better, more reasonable, and rarely goes out of style. If you have too, pay someone to remove the paper & then have the walls painted. JMO. Just did my whole house & kitchen.
    Have to agree with her on that one. My brother and I spent a good two weeks straight stipping our boss' house of wallpaper. Every friggin room in the 3200sq/ft house had wallpaper on it. And if the paper is really and i mean really friggen old, those steamers do crap. We bought this blue gel stuff, once it penetrates the paper it works a lot better then the steamer. And don't put it back up, just sand the wall a bit and paint! it soo much easier if u want to change it later, then going through it again

Thread Information