Thread: Army/Marines

31uniform is offline Associate Member

Army/Marines

Alright, I was just honorably discharged from the army reserves. I was active for a year to complete training and went into the reserves. the reserves sux by the way, stupid mistake. But anyways, im seriously thinking about becoming a marine. I dont want to get older and have any regrets. I was thinking either infantry or air crew. I was a radio operator in the army, it was some good training but not as hooah as i wanted it to be, i need more of a challenge. What do yall think. Any marines out there with any input. When I went to the recruiters they look at my like im phucked. Their like " you know youll have to go through boot camp again".

Heracles74 is offline Senior Member
    So you weren't challenged in the Army?
    Why switch over?

well, from being in the reserves ive turned back into a civilian mind and i feel like id need a little ass kickin to get my brain back into military mode. and i know that the marines is the only branch that requires prior service to still have to go through boot camp again. Plus my father was a marine and i asked him what he thought and he said it was the best idea hes ever heard.

RA
    RA is offline Grade A Beef
    Everyone that Ive known that went into the marines loved it.

decadbal is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by roidattack
    Everyone that Ive known that went into the marines loved it.
    see, im the opposite, every marine guy i went to HS or college with, hated it.. then most of them were grunts... also you may wanna know, you dont get ot pick what you do in the marines.. and yea.. being an rto isnt a hard job, and the reserves are for pussies.. so no wonder you werent challenged.. Rangers Lead the Way.

USfighterFC is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 31uniform
    Alright, I was just honorably discharged from the army reserves. I was active for a year to complete training and went into the reserves. the reserves sux by the way, stupid mistake. But anyways, im seriously thinking about becoming a marine. I dont want to get older and have any regrets. I was thinking either infantry or air crew. I was a radio operator in the army, it was some good training but not as hooah as i wanted it to be, i need more of a challenge. What do yall think. Any marines out there with any input. When I went to the recruiters they look at my like im phucked. Their like " you know youll have to go through boot camp again".

I was a marine heavy machine gunner for 3 years and it was a hard hard life. If i had to do it again i would've chosen another mos that was relevant to the outside world. If your looking for a challenge then thats a big one.

Quote Originally Posted by Decadbal
    see, im the opposite, every marine guy i went to HS or college with, hated it.. then most of them were grunts... also you may wanna know, you dont get ot pick what you do in the marines.. and yea.. being an rto isnt a hard job, and the reserves are for pussies.. so no wonder you werent challenged.. Rangers Lead the Way.

I picked what i wanted to do in the marines......the problem is that if you dont have a guarantee of your chosen mos IN WRITING then they will put you wherever they want.

Quote Originally Posted by Decadbal

I took pride being a rto. I was with the infantry most of the time. I never said i wasnt challenged.
    Were you in the rangers?

I took pride being a rto. I was with the infantry most of the time. I never said i wasnt challenged.
    Were you in the rangers?
    yes..

RA
    RA is offline Grade A Beef
    Quote Originally Posted by USfighterFC
    If i had to do it again i would've chosen another mos that was relevant to the outside world. .

Thats a good point. They only teach you how to kill people. Not a good trade outside the military.

wascaptain5214 is offline Senior Member
    grunt or air wing.......one extreme to the other.....i served in the corps 74-78. attached to a crew served weapon (81mm) in a weapons platoon. if you like to sleep out doors on the ground in all weather....this could be you! as far as job skills.. on the outside.....we former marines take care of each other.....you will learn how to take orders and respect others....that goes a long way on the job market good luck to you and maybe a semper fi one of these days!

GQ-Bouncer is offline Anabolic Member
    ..dude, you were a platoon signaller? that's about the shittiest job you can get - i'm assuming you were a member of the light infantry

Why not go reg-force infantry and shoot for a ranger regiment? - whereever you go, Marines or Army, remember infanty is infantry, it's the same trade, diffrent branch - atleast in a recon group you working in 3-4 man teams instead of having the bastardly anyonmity of 30 man teams

whatever you choose, good luck!

craneboy is offline Senior Member
    ya, you will have to go through boot camp but make sure you get a guaranteed mos. marine corp rules

Over the weekend I talked to a few army recruiters, one which said if I reenlist and stay with my same mos their is a 10,000$ bonus. He also said that he would put the paper work in for RIP (Ranger Indoc Program). This could be an option too.

craneboy is offline Senior Member
    rangers would be sweet too bro, i work with an x ranger and he's also a sniper they do some intense training that will test anyone. pat tillman was a ranger. anyway do what you feel is right and you wont look back and say what if. but whatever you do get a guarantee. good luck bro

p.s. the brotherhood of marines both present and passed is unbeleivable, and im sure its the same with rangers

max2extreme is offline Anabolic Member
    ever think about something like blackwater?? the pay is much better and you go to those "exciting places" just like the military. and most, if not all of your coworkers are prior military and you work with military most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by max2extreme
    ever think about something like blackwater?? the pay is much better and you go to those "exciting places" just like the military. and most, if not all of your coworkers are prior military and you work with military most of the time.

Never heard of it.

Quote Originally Posted by max2extreme

blackwater security is some of the sickest security teams you'll ever see......these guys are mostly ex special forces guys and regular military grunts or infantryman arent even looked at....there is a questionaire you can fill out on their website just to see how sick their qualifications are just to get an interview......to put it in perspective its like trying to be hired by a job that will only look at you if you got your Ph.d in harvard and never got below a 4.0 in any semester.

Quote Originally Posted by craneboy
    rangers would be sweet too bro, i work with an x ranger and he's also a sniper they do some intense training that will test anyone. pat tillman was a ranger. anyway do what you feel is right and you wont look back and say what if. but whatever you do get a guarantee. good luck bro

p.s. the brotherhood of marines both present and passed is unbeleivable, and im sure its the same with rangers
    it is my man it is

NYGIANTS21 is offline Senior Member
    blackwater only takes ex special operation soldiers, but if you want a challenge then you should think of the army full time and go infantry then go airborne then ranger and then try to get on a team somewhere you will be challenged trust me!

blackwater also teaches a class thats weeks long, dont have to be prior special opps, but have to be prior service and once you graduate, you work for one of their contracts. ill post a link when i get back...

TexasFitnessGirl is offline Female Member
    You want a challenge join the marines, you want a future don't

I went to see the recruiter last night and we came up with a maybe contarct. lets hope the dates will match up. It looks like this: infantry school
    airborne school
    rip/ranger school
    special forces intent
    And a 14,000$ BONUS. Not to bad. He has done four of these contacts in the past two months. Lets hope that i can successfully reserve it. this would be a sweet contract.

sounds pretty sweet. how old are you?

Im 24.

let us know when you get it!!

skinnyhb is offline Member
    good shit man, good luck. ive started to think along those lines lately as well.

SwoleDave is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasFitnessGirl
    You want a challenge join the marines, you want a future don't
    Thats pretty harsh....I've spent 4 yrs as a grunt, now i'm in law school... i've got a pretty good future...

diponyou is offline Associate Member
    thats awesome,im going tomorow morning to meps to take my physical for airforce.but i think that if it isnt what i want im going to go for marines/army.

DNoMac is offline Senior Member
    They're def. giving out fat sign-on bonuses, but know that you are going to be deployed at least 1 every 12-18 months (depending on your mos). A kid I went to high school with was marines. He was searching through houses lookin for insurgents. He had some sick pics of dead bodies and holding dudes heads. Needless to say, he's messed up in the head. He was involuntarily admitted to a mental institue, but was discharged after a few days because he didn't admit himself. I would think each option through hard before you sign the dotted line. Good luck with whatever path you choose!

lcpl kill is offline Associate Member
    im a marine but im switching over to the guard once my six is up. having fought with both i would much rather go to war with a bunch of marines than soliders. and black water does take people who arent special forces a guy in my platoon is in afghanastan with them, technically we do reconisance sp? but were not special forces, were just special. i would check into it before you give up, its all in how you present yourself.
    good luck making your decision.

Corporal_USMC is offline New Member
    marine corps is a good move, it teaches you discipline and respect for others, gives you goals and teaches you how to work as a team. i don't regret joining.

Semper Fi!

BG
    BG is offline The Real Deal - AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    I've been pondering idea, my girl isnt very happy, see how life goes next 3 months then make more of a decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Corporal_USMC
    marine corps is a good move, it teaches you discipline and respect for others, gives you goals and teaches you how to work as a team. i don't regret joining.

Semper Fi!
    agreed, long as your infantry... from what ive found, if your not in marine infantry, you aint shiit... army infantry is the same way... anything other than that isnt crap

Thread Information