Terinox is offline The One & Only

Couple Newbie Motorcycle Questions...

1. For "winter storage" I filled the tank up with gas, full tank, and poured in that solution, stabalizer, and it's sat in a garage for 4 months. I was ORIGINALLY told that the fuel SHOULD be emptied out, and fresh fuel poured in, because running the old gas isn't good for the bike. It's a 1992 Ninja ZX6 by the way. Now my buddy tells me it's no big deal, just burn it off. What should I do? Also, if I SHOULD dump the old fuel out, where do you toss the gas?! Safest way to dispose of it is how?

2. Have any of you sport bikers listened to music while riding? I assume it's a very bad idea, since you want to be fully aware of everything with no distractions when you ride, plus you want to hear the bike engine for upshifting/downshifting. But how many people have used headphones with mp3 player for example, while zooming down the road at night or something? How safe/dangerous is it? Is it even legal? I know you're not supposed to have anything like that in your helmet either, I assume if you do wipe out, that might fook up your ears.

3. When de-winterizing your bike, do you replace ALL fluids? Give it a full check up thing? Or is that not really necessary? And if I had a "safety" done before the winter, is it still okay, certified, or would you say get the bike checked out again? Yes, this is my first bike, first year riding, so I dunno shit all.

Thanks,
    T.

Smedman101 is offline Associate Member
    1. Just go burn it off...its okay.

2. Head phones are a , always ride in groups if you can.Its safer

3. Change the oil, check the tranny, check your brake fluid, make sure it looks good and dont fill gritty. Check your Battery make sure it has a good charge and all your lights are working.

If its your first bike take it in and have them show you around your bike man! Dont be asshamed...its better thna being road kill or a veg.

Ride safe

G-1000 is offline Cycle King/AR-Hall of Famer/RETIRED
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Smedman101
    1. Just go burn it off...its okay.

2. Head phones are a , always ride in groups if you can.Its safer

3. Change the oil, check the tranny, check your brake fluid, make sure it looks good and dont fill gritty. Check your Battery make sure it has a good charge and all your lights are working.

If its your first bike take it in and have them show you around your bike man! Dont be asshamed...its better thna being road kill or a veg.

Ride safe

Great advice.

rgecko23 is offline Associate Member
    its cool to burn it off, it might smoke a little but thats no biggie. that gas should be fine.

do not ride with headphones on!!!!!

i agree on #3 check all of that before you get on the road.

crash187ct is offline Senior Member
    love headphones

Pinkvelvet is offline Female Member
    i know you are in Canada...and, winter storage here is a little different than in the U.S....especially if it's not in a heated area. Some tips I'll pass on when I stored my bike.

If you do have gas in the tank....use a stabilizer solution. The tank could have about 1/3 gas in it. Either way...you don't need to dump it. It has the stabilizer in it; which will keep the components of the gas stabile during our long winter storage.
    Before storing..you can keep all the fluids in. Replace in the spring. Especially oil and brake fluid.
    Wash your bike before storing. Dust and dirt can build up in areas that can wreak havoc on places that you don't want it too.
    Always lube your chain before storage and move the bike to get it in all places

Keep your tires off the cold ground if you can.
    Always cover it with a blanket during storage.
    TAke the battery out and keep it in a warmer area. Its good to charge it once a month when not in use.

As for listening to music while riding...I don't know about where you are, but in Alberta; that'll get you a ticket for sure. Driving with undo care.

Quote Originally Posted by Terinox
    1. For "winter storage" I filled the tank up with gas, full tank, and poured in that solution, stabalizer, and it's sat in a garage for 4 months. I was ORIGINALLY told that the fuel SHOULD be emptied out, and fresh fuel poured in, because running the old gas isn't good for the bike. It's a 1992 Ninja ZX6 by the way. Now my buddy tells me it's no big deal, just burn it off. What should I do? Also, if I SHOULD dump the old fuel out, where do you toss the gas?! Safest way to dispose of it is how?

Anywho....
    hope i helped a little

2. Have any of you sport bikers listened to music while riding? I assume it's a very bad idea, since you want to be fully aware of everything with no distractions when you ride, plus you want to hear the bike engine for upshifting/downshifting. But how many people have used headphones with mp3 player for example, while zooming down the road at night or something? How safe/dangerous is it? Is it even legal? I know you're not supposed to have anything like that in your helmet either, I assume if you do wipe out, that might fook up your ears.

3. When de-winterizing your bike, do you replace ALL fluids? Give it a full check up thing? Or is that not really necessary? And if I had a "safety" done before the winter, is it still okay, certified, or would you say get the bike checked out again? Yes, this is my first bike, first year riding, so I dunno shit all.

Thanks,
    T.
    Someone's Little Pumpkie

Anna Bollick is offline Juiced Shemale Rescue Hooker
    Drain the gas. Hey, it's not THAT expensive, Girlfriend! The other fluids should all be okay but check levels and check for breakdown or contamination. But you really should buck up and take a short ride once a week or so. Let it warm up good before taking off... idle for a minute to get everything nice and slippery up inside there.

What to do with the gas? Well, use your imagination! Good for parts washing, fire starting, stuff like that. You could also pour a half pint or so at a time into your truck or car every time you fill up the tank, unless it is visibly screwed up somehow. You could also pour a little bit into every batch of used motor oil you take in for disposal/recycling. Redneck landscaping... pour it on sidewalk cracks and along chain link fences and light it off to burn the weeds.

Love
    Anna

Prada is offline Anabolic Member
    If you store it, you can also run the motor once every 2 weeks or so. That is an option as well. The same goes with cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Anna Bollick
    Drain the gas. Hey, it's not THAT expensive, Girlfriend! The other fluids should all be okay but check levels and check for breakdown or contamination. But you really should buck up and take a short ride once a week or so. Let it warm up good before taking off... idle for a minute to get everything nice and slippery up inside there.

What to do with the gas? Well, use your imagination! Good for parts washing, fire starting, stuff like that. You could also pour a half pint or so at a time into your truck or car every time you fill up the tank, unless it is visibly screwed up somehow. You could also pour a little bit into every batch of used motor oil you take in for disposal/recycling. Redneck landscaping... pour it on sidewalk cracks and along chain link fences and light it off to burn the weeds.

Love
    Anna
    Dude lives in Canada...can't ride for at least three months of the year....hence why the storage procedures here.
    Someone's Little Pumpkie

Smiley619 is offline Member
    ahhhhhhhhhhh with lovely socal weather you dont have to worry about winter storage......can damn near ride year around

Quote Originally Posted by Smiley619
    ahhhhhhhhhhh with lovely socal weather you dont have to worry about winter storage......can damn near ride year around
    Must be nice...I wish.

Bikes are usually stored from end of October till March or April where I am!
    Someone's Little Pumpkie

Evil Predator is offline Senior Member
    I agree with all of that, except the headphone thing.. I teach MSF and race, and My Ipod comes with me on every street ride..

I drain the tank/coolant, and leave the oil sit in the bike, then change it when the winter is over.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinkvelvet
    i know you are in Canada...and, winter storage here is a little different than in the U.S....especially if it's not in a heated area. Some tips I'll pass on when I stored my bike.

If you do have gas in the tank....use a stabilizer solution. The tank could have about 1/3 gas in it. Either way...you don't need to dump it. It has the stabilizer in it; which will keep the components of the gas stabile during our long winter storage.
    Before storing..you can keep all the fluids in. Replace in the spring. Especially oil and brake fluid.
    Wash your bike before storing. Dust and dirt can build up in areas that can wreak havoc on places that you don't want it too.
    Always lube your chain before storage and move the bike to get it in all places

Keep your tires off the cold ground if you can.
    Always cover it with a blanket during storage.
    TAke the battery out and keep it in a warmer area. Its good to charge it once a month when not in use.

As for listening to music while riding...I don't know about where you are, but in Alberta; that'll get you a ticket for sure. Driving with undo care.

cfiler is offline Anabolic Member
    It's best to change all fluids after winter. I'd do an oil change, coolant, and gas too.

I had used old stale gas on my honda, and it gummed up my carbs so bad. Never again will I put my bike into storage with a full tank of gas. Although I didn't use fuel stabilizer, and leave the bike outside tarped.

In the city I would never ride with my mp3 player. But on the highway, personally I think it's fine. I used to listen to music the whole hour long highway ride. Never had a problem.

Terinox is offline The One & Only
    Thanks for all the great advice guys. I'll make sure to change as much of the fluids as I can before I ride.

And I guess since this is my first bike, first year riding, I'll stay away from the headphones/music while I ride I'll start the music after at least a good couple months of experience riding

Thnx

needmorestrength is offline Anabolic Member
    actually for future reference, its best to keep the battery off of cement floors, your best bet is to take it out and put it on a piece of wood in the garage, as colder temperature slows down the chemical process in batteries

Thread Information