Thread: Stocks

THE_DOME is offline Anabolic Member

Stocks

I am currently looking to make small investments here in there tucking some money away for the future. I currently have a sharebuilder account which makes it pretty easy to buy stocks, any one know of some high risk stocks that you have invested in.

Teabagger is offline Senior Member

High risk stocks...

these days almost all are high risk Take a look at small biotech companies as well as small wildcat oil and gas exploration companies. If you want high risk...buy Delta Airlines, it is like .50 per share and teetering on bankruptcy. If it makes it you could make who knows how much. Personally I would not get into the market at this time...Dow at an all time high...oil prices going back up, Feds just raised rates again, Iran acting a fool, Iraq acting a fool, off year election coming up, etc....but good luck.

Pooks is offline Anabolic Member
    depends how much money u have to invest, if its a good amount, than invest it in about 6 different companies... If u want companies that outperform the market.. meaing they do very good when the market is good, but get killed when market is bad.. than u want to look for 6 diff companies with High BETA's.

but what you're asking for is for a new company that has great potential for growth.. that is really risky, and u have to look at small caps, and the penny market... i used to this shit when i was in high school lol.. its too stressful not a way to live.. altho back in 2000/2001 i made a nice penny. Market is different now, and if it even were a bubble market like it was back than, i dont know if i'd put myself thru it.
    Last edited by Pooks; 04-13-2006 at 09:01 PM.

ya i am only 22 just trying to get my bank roll going for retirement, just like couple hundred every month.

Tock is offline Anabolic Member
    A basic rule of investing is -- Invest in what you understand.

If you want to invest in something simple, check out the Vanguard 500 mutual fund. It's got the lowest expense fee, and you'll be investing in the largest 500 companies in the US. If GE, GM, TXN, Intel, Microsoft, etc, do well, then so will you.

On the other hand, if you want some excitement, look around for some mutual funds that invest in foreign countries. Pick a mutual fund company with a good track record, and hope for the best.

At this stage of the game, though, I'd say the best investment for you would be some education. Read, study, watch, learn. One good website to check is
    www.fool.com

Good luck,

-Tock

NOREGRETS is offline Senior Member
    Your on a good track for your age. The most important thing for your is to contribute on a consistent basis, you want your money to work for you by compounding itself over time and you have plenty of it. If your going to invest in stocks you have to be willing to do a little homework on a weekly basis. Before you invest in a company you should know everything there is know about the company before you buy one share. If you haven't already, you should have a full understanding of how the stock market works and learn how to research a companies fundamentals. It's alot of work, especially in the beginning, if you don't have the time, you might want to stick with a couple of good solid mutual funds. Good Luck

Pooks is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NOREGRETS
    Your on a good track for your age. The most important thing for your is to contribute on a consistent basis, you want your money to work for you by compounding itself over time and you have plenty of it. If your going to invest in stocks you have to be willing to do a little homework on a weekly basis. Before you invest in a company you should know everything there is know about the company before you buy one share. If you haven't already, you should have a full understanding of how the stock market works and learn how to research a companies fundamentals. It's alot of work, especially in the beginning, if you don't have the time, you might want to stick with a couple of good solid mutual funds. Good Luck
    yup savings is good.. guy I work with.. his situation, is his dad played for the patriots back in the 60s , so he has a nice house.. and is gonna get that one day..

anyways what he has done is, ever since his first paycheck when he was 16.. he put aside 200 a week.. into a savings accounts, and done the CD's n etc..
    anyways they guy is maybe like 40 years old or so now.. he has 400,000+ in cash just sitting in his savings account and CDs.

anyways they guy is maybe like 40 years old or so now.. he has 400,000+ in cash just sitting in his savings account and CDs.
    Nothing beats money compounding over time!! If everyone started saving in their twenty consistently to retirement, you would have much less people working in retirement for income.

my gpas says smart people earn intrest dumb people pay intrest. thanks for the help i think the market is something that should infact be researched before jumping in just like gear. fool.com is in my favorites

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by THE_DOME
    I am currently looking to make small investments here in there tucking some money away for the future. I currently have a sharebuilder account which makes it pretty easy to buy stocks, any one know of some high risk stocks that you have invested in.
    I have had several blocks of Sirius... I'm just waiting for them to turn a profit and I know it will pay off big time. Broadcasting satelite radio is long over due... both XM and Sirius are expected to peak in the 4th quarter (according to their reports and previous charts) so its a decent time to buy in. And they have the only two licenses for this service - unless a satelite falls out of orbit, its pretty safe with good potential.

I hear Nokia is suppose to do very well this year (people may double up on the cell phones they purchase - one with all the millions of latest features and a basic, trusty one... as well as possible video conferencing in the future)... and possibly Texas Instruments 'cause of all the flat panels being purchased these days (they make parts for them)...

Medical stocks can do well - Like Eilli Lilly (known to be spending a lot of money to develop new drugs right now) and Merck (just settled a big legal battle which brought their stock price down like 1 percent )... all the baby boomers retiring should increase demand on these companies...

There is some kinda Presidential Cycle that is suppose to bring stock prices down this year - not sure what it was called...

smokethedays is offline Veni, Vedi, Vici.
    Blog Entries
    try BID and BP i have both and got 19% in 4 weeks

Quote Originally Posted by smokethedays
    try BID and BP i have both and got 19% in 4 weeks
    Makes you want to start day-trading, don't it? Sometimes I have to knock myself unconscious so I don't get into that... I have a feeling it would cause some sleepless nights waiting for the market to reopen and watching the numbers constantly...

i have really been thinking about dumping some money in to either sirus or xm i think its the future

Sirus or EM for long term?, I would be cautious with that. Satellite radio is to unpredictable at this time, both companies are dogs as far as I'm concern, much bigger fish in the sea.

GreenLantern12 is offline Associate Member
    I'd probly take a look at Warrior's post. He has alot of the same stocks in there that I like. Of the ones he mentioned though I like Sirius the best, it's the underdog to XM right now and that's why it has the most upside to it......and also why Apple (another underdog) I believe will put SIrius and not XM in thier next generation of I pods. I think that will make both of these companies on the same level. True neither company has made a profit yet but I think it's only a matter of time.

Prada is offline Anabolic Member
    If you dont have enough capital (like $10,000) to diversify well your portfolio, it's not worth it. Your factor of risk is much elevated. It makes much more financial sense to get a mutual fund, where you have fund managers taking care of business. They have much more research and sources and time to take care of the fund. Ive had a return of 3% in 3 months, that an annual ROI of 12% on a medium risk fund. I hate to see people get involved in financial markets not knowing jackshit(not pointing fingers). Remember diversification is the key to success.

TADOLFI is offline Member
    If Mutual Funds...T. Rowe Price Small Cap Value Fund
    I've made 28% this year and averaged 20% the past five.

Whatever you do, I applaude you for taking steps like this at only 22 years old.

Good Luck

side note prada, even dropping a few hundred a month instead of spending it on crap wouldnt be a good investment

If you dont have enough capital (like $10,000) to diversify well your portfolio, it's not worth it.
    How many people in their early twenties can drop a lump sum of 10k for investing? you have to start somewhere. You can be diversified with as little as two funds or five stocks with couple thousand $ to start.

How many people in their early twenties can drop a lump sum of 10k for investing? you have to start somewhere. You can be diversified with as little as two funds or five stocks with couple thousand $ to start.
    I agree - its deffinitly worth it. And the fact that he has already started building a money market account makes him sound like he is really pullin' his sh!t together early. The money market account alone will help you earn greater interest rates than a chcecking account (where the bank is making money off your money).

At 22 you can afford to make a few mistakes and take greater risks. I say educate yourself on a few companies and tickers and try to start making some free money with what you got. If you lose some of it, hell... people at 22 probably blow more money or stupider sh!t. Try and find people in your area that also invest, talk with them and see where they put there money... like bodybuilding, if you can surround yourself with like-minded people you will be better off...

Diezed is offline Junior Member

interesting read im just wondering where could the avg joe research "the companies fundamentals"

biglouie250 is offline Anabolic Member
    from a financial perspective both sirius and xm have a horrible cash flow stmt. but thats ok because they both have a break even point where once they hit a certain number of subscribers they know they will make money. they should accoridng to their estimates(how serious can you take ones own estimate they arent going to say "yea we are gonna do shitty")hit that point this year and hopefully for them youll see some reduction in their cumulative losses.

XM i find intriguing, i know howard has gotten sirius like 2million subscribers since he signed on but XM did something recently that took me by surprise. they are going to syndicate to terrestrial radio. thats a whole new revenue stream...... pretty savy buisiness guys there, never thought we'd see that!!

frank_frank is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by biglouie250
    from a financial perspective both sirius and xm have a horrible cash flow stmt. but thats ok because they both have a break even point where once they hit a certain number of subscribers they know they will make money. they should accoridng to their estimates(how serious can you take ones own estimate they arent going to say "yea we are gonna do shitty")hit that point this year and hopefully for them youll see some reduction in their cumulative losses.

XM i find intriguing, i know howard has gotten sirius like 2million subscribers since he signed on but XM did something recently that took me by surprise. they are going to syndicate to terrestrial radio. thats a whole new revenue stream...... pretty savy buisiness guys there, never thought we'd see that!!

terrestrial radio? can u please elaborate, because im a bit confused... r those just regular, local FM stations?

Ufa
    Ufa is offline Anabolic Member
    I would avoid all industries except mining stocks, oil compaines especially ones with large reserves. The drillers look good ex. hal & slb. vlo look good
    as well. Oil is going up because of Chinese an Indian demand. Inflation
    and higher interest rates will cap the over all market. The bottom line is
    PROFIT MARGIN. Thats why I say mining & oil. Drillers to.

Quote Originally Posted by frank_frank
    terrestrial radio? can u please elaborate, because im a bit confused... r those just regular, local FM stations?
    Yes, it's all radio that's not communicated from space (satellite).

frank_frank is offline Senior Member
    Yes, it's all radio that's not communicated from space (satellite).

thanks for the clarification

JR.SHRED is offline Associate Member
    invest into under armour-sports gear

Quote Originally Posted by JR.SHRED
    invest into under armour-sports gear

looks like a good idea i will check it out
    thanks for all the help and advice.

daytrader is offline Member
    Hate to bump old threads, but just saw this, did you end up investing or what?.. Im a sr. college student and have been trading for 4 years now.. mostly penny stocks and day trades using technical analysis IE i like to gamble lol./.. But i can help you get started if you need help

daytrader is offline Member
    O btw, right now, im putting a lot of my capital in stem cell research and collection stocks, im banking on the future, taking huge risks now at a very young age, hoping if these things hit, i may not have to work to hard later in life lol

Thread Information