Tommy Gunn is offline Member

MMA got me thinking...will workmans comp burn me in the future?

MMA got me thinking...will workmans comp put the screws to me in the future?

I tore my pec while lifting weights and had surgery in May to repair it. I did this outside of work and therefore I have to use all my own sick, personal, and vacation time while I'm out of work. I work a security job which I sometimes have to break up fights and restrain people. Seeing I did this outside of work, this IS NOT a workmans comp case. My doctor said he will most likely clear me to return to work full duty in Sept. (4 months post surgery). He said by that time this will not easily retear when I have to get physical with somebody. Here's where I may find a problem...

Let's say when I go back to work (after being fully cleared by my doctor) that after 2,3, maybe 4 months...I get into with someone on the job and I reinjure this pectoral. Obvioulsy, I will than have to be out of work again, but this time I would be out on workmans comp and wouldn't have to use my own sick, personal, and vacation time while I'm out of work. My question is will workmans comp say "hey you may have reinjured this while on the job, but you initially injured it off duty while lifting weights...screw you, we aint payin you, use your own sick time!"

I asked my union president and he said that if my doctor clears me to go back to work full duty, technically, I have a clean bill of health, and even if I reinjure the very same injury, workmans comp HAS to pay me. He said worst case scenario, they may fight it and at first deny the claim, but eventually I would win a hearing thus them paying me what they owe me.

What do you guys think?

Evil Predator is offline Senior Member
    workmans comp doesnt **** with unions, because unions always just send a lawer so the employee doesnt have to deal with it... at least steelworkers of america anyway..

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    do yourself a favor, purchase outside of your employer both short term and long term disability...

if they offer it, take it there as well..

I'm a disabled vet, and for about 3 years worked for the Post Office, i injured myself again at work, same injury, and workers comp payed.. but that is my experience..

now i own my own short/long term disability, also aflac..
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

I didn't have Aflac at the time of my injury, but as soon as I go back to work I'm gonna try to get it in case this sort of thing happens to me again.

Do you think when I go back to work, Aflac will refuse to give me coverage because of this surgery? Will they give it to me but jack my rates up? Or will they give it to me with the same rates they give everyone else?

Anyone else?

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    aflac is very easy to get, they just pay and pay and pay... It's not like an HMO..

example.. go to the er... $100, miss a day of work due to playing softball and going to the er... $50 on top of the money paid for the er visit..

this is an example..
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

USfighterFC is offline Anabolic Member
    If you are on workmans comp for an extended period of time you will be labelled a sandbagger by your employer.

I'm not out on workman's comp, I'm using my own time.

USfighterFC is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Gunn
    I'm not out on workman's comp, I'm using my own time.

ohhh.....screw it then.

Thread Information