guest589745 is offline 2/3 Deca 1/3 Test

Do stomach ulcers drastically effect ones ability to absorb nutrients?

Do stomach ulcers drastically effect ones ability to absorb nutrients and therefore effect ones recuperation from lifting, gains etc?

I am concerned becuase I was prescribed an antacid "pepcid" by my doctor, for these bad pains I get if I drink milk before I go to bed which was apparently a mild injury to my stomach cause by the "acid" milk produces after it settles in your stomch and sits there for a while.

This medication helped my pains a lot but if it is mayeb an ulcer, could it reduce my ability to properly absorb protein, vitamins etc and lessen my gains from the gym?

I have a doc appointment too but I wanted to ask you guys.

Uh anyone? Come on, Im sure we have TONS of doctors here right?

IBdmfkr is offline AR VET
    I don't think nutrients are absorbed in the stomach actually, believe the intestines do that.. maybe someone else can chime in..

Quote Originally Posted by IBdmfkr
    I don't think nutrients are absorbed in the stomach actually, believe the intestines do that.. maybe someone else can chime in..
    Oh yea, yer right, it would be nice to hear other opinions.

Or do they effect the nutrients in the stomach somehow? I was reading somewhere that the ulcer can actually absorb nutrients itself kinda robbing you. Dunno if this is true though.

hannah is offline Female Member

treatment for ulcers

When I had ulcer, I thought I would die with the pain itself! It was moreeee than enough to kill me instantly, hehe. But then I consulted a gud doctor, who advised me to take TETRACYCLINE medications, and it rocks!! I got over the ulcer, it got awright in 1 week if am nt wrong, and here I am: fine n fit!!

It turned out that my stomach was just "injured" due to milk settling in my stomach at night and creating too much acid.

I thought milk reduced acid though...?? Weird.

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by hannah
    When I had ulcer, I thought I would die with the pain itself! It was moreeee than enough to kill me instantly, hehe. But then I consulted a gud doctor, who advised me to take TETRACYCLINE medications, and it rocks!! I got over the ulcer, it got awright in 1 week if am nt wrong, and here I am: fine n fit!!
    second that. I had 2 ulcers spring 2005 and the only worse (constant) pain I have had was when my sciatic was ****ed. But meds cured the ulcers both times in 10 days or so.

I dont know how it would change nutrient absorption. Most of the nutrients are absorbed in the intestines(sp??) so I dont think it would make much of a difference.

yea I just thought maybe the ulcer absorbed them somehow before they entered the intestines...?

Guess not.

oliver_kloseoff is offline New Member
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Last edited by oliver_kloseoff; 05-15-2010 at 08:55 AM.

Thread Information