Grant8010 is offline Junior Member

Hard drive crashed Help!!!

I have been trying to get my hardrive working for sometime. i have an older compaq that had windows 98 on it. it wont handle xp but it will handle 2000 does anyone have an ideas on how i can get a hold of a reinstall disk for 2000 or 98 with out having to buy one some where.

i had my employers networking company look at it and they said taht i wouldnt be able to just replace teh hard drive since its an older computer. could someone explain that to me??

its a compaq pasario that i got new in 2000. i just dont want to buy a new one if i can make this work some how
    thanks for the help.

Lavinco is offline Anabolic Member
    I suggest that you buy a new computer.

I just had to do this myself because I was having problems with my 2001 comp.

The new computers are worth the extra money because the old ones have older parts that most places are pulling off their shelves now.

The old hard drives, memory, etc. are all soon going to be obsolete.

zimmy is offline Anabolic Member
    more than likely... they weren't saying that you couldn't just replace the hd and install xp not because of the hd but because of the system requirements for xp exceeding what your older computer can handle. More than likely it can take xp but it's going to be slower than 2k would be on that same system. I agree though...buy a new computer if you can afford it. It is almost not worth it at all to upgrade pc's now a day's with the fact that you can go to almost any store and buy a new pc and monitor combo for 500 bucs

Grant8010 is offline Junior Member
    i was trying to avoid buying one, but if thats the best bet then thats what i will do. thanks guys

Thread Information