Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger

Personal Training Certs

I have decided to quit farking around and become certified and help people and of course make money doing it, i have made nutrition/lifting my lifestyle so why not get paid to do it or be around it? I am the type of person that either does something 100% or not at all, there is no grey area with me.

What would be a good certification to start with? I have found the ACE cert package for $399 and that might be a good one to start with no? I do realise that most trainers have more than one cert so i need to start somewhere.

I know this is not the easiest thing to do but i believe if i put in the effort that i have put into myself, i can't lose and this would make me happy. Right now i do IT work and hopefully could make it part time later and do personal training full time.

Any ideas or suggestions?
    ***No source checks!!!***

guest589745 is offline 2/3 Deca 1/3 Test
    I am interested as well..........

NASM seems to be "the best" and is highly recommended and i do know the trainers at my gym are all NASM certified.

NASM:

http://www.nasm.org/Certification/cpt.aspx

Ranges from $499-$649

ACE:

http://www.acefitness.org/acestore/c...l+Trainer+Exam

$399

guest589745 is offline 2/3 Deca 1/3 Test
    good stuff.

Ejuicer is offline Anabolic Member
    I would personally go with ISSA. That seems to be the most recognized out of the ones that I have.

G-1000 is offline Cycle King/AR-Hall of Famer/RETIRED
    Blog Entries
    I have to get certified as well. I was going to post this same thing.

I was looking into http://www.nasm.org/ ace and ISSA. Just need to know what one would be best sto start off with and why.

Katelette81 is offline Female Member
    I've recently been looking in to this as well and have decided to taek a course - Fitness/Nutrition Assessment - at this college here in TO... do you guys think that would be worth it? Seems to offer some good courses.. but I don't know about certification. I guess I would have to do both? I think it might be different for Cdn's as well...

Quote Originally Posted by Katelette81
    I've recently been looking in to this as well and have decided to taek a course - Fitness/Nutrition Assessment - at this college here in TO... do you guys think that would be worth it? Seems to offer some good courses.. but I don't know about certification. I guess I would have to do both? I think it might be different for Cdn's as well...
    You would still need a pt & nutritionist certification as well. Personally I would just do separate nutrition and training courses. ISSA offers both and they're both good programs. Plus you'll get alot more up to date knowledge out of the performance nutrition program then some of the other ones that use the canadian food guide for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Ejuicer
    You would still need a pt & nutritionist certification as well. Personally I would just do separate nutrition and training courses. ISSA offers both and they're both good programs. Plus you'll get alot more up to date knowledge out of the performance nutrition program then some of the other ones that use the canadian food guide for example.
    ISSA and the other are offered in Canada as well? Hm, interesting. I jsut want to be sure that not only do I have some certifications but as mush knowledge as possible to ofer the people I'm helping..

ISSA and the other are offered in Canada as well? Hm, interesting. I jsut want to be sure that not only do I have some certifications but as mush knowledge as possible to ofer the people I'm helping..
    Yes, it's offered here as well. One thing you can always do if you have the extra cash to spend is the ISSA courses in addition to the one you were originally planning on doing. With the fitness industry having some many subjective opinions is always good to get a good variety of info you can come to your own conclusions. It's always good to continue your education and do as many courses as you can.

Sweet.. Thanks Ejuicer... I'll keep that in mind. I figured it was best just to get as much qualificatino as possible. .

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    I see this question all the time.

Again, it's more about WHERE you wish to work and what THEY deem as acceptable. Some recognize certs, others do not.

Best to be your own boss if you can, then you can choose what u want.

~SC~

SVTMuscle* is offline Banned
    ACE is very difficult if you do not have a sports medicine background in college. I tried the ACE test and I failed my first try. I've been training people now for 7 months. And like Swole says, in stead of training people the way ACE would want you to train them, train them the way you know would be best. If you can get a job without a certification like I was lucky enough to get, just buy an ACE book/ISSA book etc etc and just learn some random things.
    If you gotta get certified i'd recommend ISSA. The ACE test was very difficult and unfair in my opinion.

At this point I'd be willing to try anything, I'm very serious about this career change and I know this is the direction my life is going so I want to start doing it. Thanks for the advice guys..

At this point I'd be willing to try anything, I'm very serious about this career change and I know this is the direction my life is going so I want to start doing it. Thanks for the advice guys..
    From my expierences so far, I would not plan on becomming a PT for a full time career. You need to kinda start at the bottom and work your way up. Swole in my eyes is very lucky and def someone I look up to in his position, but he is def a rare sucessfull living story as a PT

Yes.. I have heard this before.. it's not a viable FT career.. I just know that this would make me happy and if I have to supplement my income in other ways I could do that... I"m a 9-5'er right now and it just isn't for me..

Quote Originally Posted by SVTMuscle
    From my expierences so far, I would not plan on becomming a PT for a full time career. You need to kinda start at the bottom and work your way up. Swole in my eyes is very lucky and def someone I look up to in his position, but he is def a rare sucessfull living story as a PT

I don't believe it is rare to find a PT who is very successful, SC is just one of many who had/have the desire to get out there and get themselves known and build their clientel base from the ground up.

I know i will have to start out at a gym doing shit work at first but it's all for the experience and i am gonna go with NASM due to the area around here, one thing i knew before making this post was that it depends on your area but the point of the post was to see what most people thnk about this cert (NASM) and the others.

Like said before, it is always better to have two certs than one. I have heard of people having 7 certs or something crazy like that.

But does $500-$649 sound right for the NASM cert including the books/CD's etc.. ???

You can definitly make a good living out of training. In my company top trainers make $28/hr which is not bad money by any means.

You can definitly make a good living out of training. In my company top trainers make $28/hr which is not bad money by any means.
    So how is it that people are paying 60-100/hr for PT sessions? I guess the club takes a big chunk of that then? That's madness..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by muriloninja
    I don't believe it is rare to find a PT who is very successful, SC is just one of many who had/have the desire to get out there and get themselves known and build their clientel base from the ground up.

I know i will have to start out at a gym doing shit work at first but it's all for the experience and i am gonna go with NASM due to the area around here, one thing i knew before making this post was that it depends on your area but the point of the post was to see what most people thnk about this cert (NASM) and the others.

Like said before, it is always better to have two certs than one. I have heard of people having 7 certs or something crazy like that.

But does $500-$649 sound right for the NASM cert including the books/CD's etc.. ???

Lets see if we can get a group discount.

Blog Entries
    So how is it that people are paying 60-100/hr for PT sessions? I guess the club takes a big chunk of that then? That's madness..

My club gets 495 for a ten pack.

Exactly why you bust your ass earning the respect of your clients and making a name for yuorself and then strike out on your own and take the with you.

Actually the gyms i know of here will pay certification reimbursement, i might wanna make a call and check into that. It is possible to start working at the gym and not be certified.

Swole in my eyes is very lucky and def someone I look up to in his position, but he is def a rare sucessfull living story as a PT
    What I am doing now and what I've accomplished I swear I never thought possible. I am very blessed to have the success and notoriety that I do today, and I am thankful every living day.

Thanks for your words brutha.

~SC~

I believe he is referring to the fact that my nutrition/training services are housed entirely on the Internet.

~SC~

The trainer makes their cut, the company makes money off it, the fitness consultant make a small % of commission, and then there's my commission which is 15% of the sale.

So 12 sessions for example $708
    Trainers wage $28x12 -$336
    Fit Consultant 2.5% -$18
    My commission 15% -$106
    ---------
    Club profit $248

That's also not factoring in my salary as well. It's also based upon a trainer making the maximum amount in the company, and there isn't a lot of trainers that do since there is such a high turnover rate in the fitness industry.

The trainer makes their cut, the company makes money off it, the fitness consultant make a small % of commission, and then there's my commission which is 15% of the sale.

So 12 sessions for example $708
    Trainers wage $28x12 -$336
    Fit Consultant 2.5% -$18
    My commission 15% -$106
    ---------
    Club profit $248

That's also not factoring in my salary as well. It's also based upon a trainer making the maximum amount in the company, and there isn't a lot of trainers that do since there is such a high turnover rate in the fitness industry.
    Hm.. interesting. A friend of mine is a PT at my gym and he was compaining about the club cuts little while ago.. but he didn't leave or anything so I assume he's jsut accepting it. I know his rate is about $70/hr for his clients. But he also trains outside teh gym to supplement the income, which I know is a big no no...

My money is my money, no one has their hands in my shit.

~SC~

Hm.. interesting. A friend of mine is a PT at my gym and he was compaining about the club cuts little while ago.. but he didn't leave or anything so I assume he's jsut accepting it. I know his rate is about $70/hr for his clients. But he also trains outside teh gym to supplement the income, which I know is a big no no...
    It all depends on the gym. Some of them you pay the gym a set rate for each hour you train and then you can charge your clients whatever you want. The only problems with them is that you have to generate all your own business instead of having it handed to you. However if you have a name for yourself that isn't a problem. IFBB pro Mindi O Brien is a good example, she trains out of Hamilton and pays a set amount to be there but also charges $120+ an hour last time I checked.

To be quite honest... and this may change... but right now I'm looking to get in to this business for my own personal satisfaction, not the $. I go to work everyday but my head and my heart stays at the gym. I have to change careers or I'll never be happy... and I want to help others as I've been helped. There's nothing better than helping people turn thier lives around... or achieve their goals. And anyway... my friends will be relieved that I can focus on real clients and leave them alone..LOL

I have to say one thing about trainers in general that's WHACK.

Most of them charge an INSANE amount of money to show you how to use machines. Big f*cking whoop............

The focus should be DIET/NUTRITION FIRST, then training. After 2-3 weeks of having a trainer, a person should know how to use the damn machines him/herself, u don't need someone standing there watching you while you pay them $100 or whatever to just watch you.

Most trainers don't advise on diet, and that to me is the stupidest shit ever.
    I see people pay 100's of dollars to have a trainer stand there and watch them and talk, and they look the SAME month after month after month, because the diet which is the most imperative portion of a body composition change, is NEVER ADDRESSED!!!!

Focus on nutrition w/your clients and don't have insane ass prices, and you'll be that much more successful believe me!

~SC~

Wikid advice SC. But obviosuly you know what you're talking about.

I know that if you want nutrition advice at some gyms here in TO you have to pay an additional premium which is totally bogus. So you're paying 100/hr for basic wieght training and chatting... and then another 40 for a 10 m inute discussion at teh end of your workout about what you eat...

That being said, I know some of the trainers at my gym are excellent at what they do and discuss nutrition regardless and don't charge for it..

Swole I agree with you 100% with the diet part. The problem is, although no one should really follow it, ACE/ISSA/NASM/ etc etc, all specify trainers are not allowed to give nutritional advice outside of the food pyramid because they are not licensed dietricians. Which I think is WHACK like Swole would say. Thats one thing i highly dont agree on with those certifications.

Blog Entries
    I called ISSA and asked if we do 3 will they give a deal. They said yes and that they can take $100 off each program.

Give me a pm if your intrested.

Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    I believe he is referring to the fact that my nutrition/training services are housed entirely on the Internet.

~SC~
    Yeah, not everyone could do that for sure. Definately something to be proud of.

freakinhuge is offline Senior Member
    thanks for the great discussion, i just got ace certified last month and I am debating starting up my own company or getting more expeerience in a gym.

Nice job Freak... hope it all goes well!

Quote Originally Posted by freakinhuge
    thanks for the great discussion, i just got ace certified last month and I am debating starting up my own company or getting more expeerience in a gym.

Get experience in a gym first. Build up a name for yourself and a clientele and then if you're a good trainer they'll go with you no matter where you go. It's a lot easier then just starting from scratch.

Just got in from the gym, spoke with a trainer. He said he has a degree in nutrition and is APEX certified (24hr fitness cert) and is looking at NASM.

I told him i was more than likely leaning toward NASM or ISSA. He pointed out one trainer and said that the guy does not have anything at all, no degree and no certs, he simply filled out the application and came in and interviewed with the head trainer, said he gave a good interview and he got hired.

I really want to pursue this, so i will be filling out an application online and then call in to the gym and ask to speak with this trainer and try to get an interview.

My question is this, what can i expect in this interview? Has anyone gone through this kind of situation? I would like to give a good interview and i do realise i have alot to learn...just don't wanna walk into the interview clueless.

Any tips would kick ass...

I really want to pursue this, so i will be filling out an application online and then call in to the gym and ask to speak with this trainer and try to get an interview.

My question is this, what can i expect in this interview? Has anyone gone through this kind of situation? I would like to give a good interview and i do realise i have alot to learn...just don't wanna walk into the interview clueless.

Any tips would kick ass...
    I'm like the guy who has no certification or anything, I just got lucky my knowing the owner and the ownder knowing that I know my stuff.

As far as the interview goes, I think it would be based on questions like how you would train particular people and situations and maybe some legal questions. That is my perception of it. But who knows, maybe it will be a regular interview where he just asks about your backroung/expeirence with fitness.
    But remember, not everyone trains like bodybuilders do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information