Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    tonytone is offline Anabolic Member

how did YOU get into lifting?

as for me, i was always a fat kid, ALWAYS..when i got to highschool, i just got a lot worse..by the time i was a sophomore i was 6' and 278 lbs at my heaviest (of course i was like 100000% bf, and had never lifted a goddamn thing in my life)..all my friends were dating and starting to get laid, and what girl would want my disgusting fat ass? none of them..so about halfway through my soph year i started doing cardio, lifting, and trying to eat right..when i started out i was riding the bike for an hr 5 x a wk, and then lifting for about 1.5hrs after that, 5x a wk as well..and my diet was pretty much starving myself, and consisted pretty much of a handful of saltines here and there throughout the day..of course with all that activity and lack of food intake, i dropped the weight pretty damn quick..in about 6 mos i had dropped to around 200 lbs, and had some muscle mass..my lowest was 189, and then i really started to concentrate on lifting..i LOVED the results sooo much that i knew i would dedicate the rest of my life to diet and lifting..7 yrs later here i am

F U C K being a fat slob that no girls want to sleep with..dropping that weight and changing my body image was one of the hardest things i have ever done...

FranKieC is offline "AR's Pretty Boy"
    Always played sports so it came with the territory

helium3 is offline Senior Member
    dont know exactly but arnie and sly had a hand in it somewhere.

StoneGRMI is offline Giggity Giggity Giggty!
    Blog Entries
    I played sports my entire life as well but mostly just trained hard for those sports with endurance training. When I got done with my try and college sports I realized I didn't really have any muscle on my body so I started to hit the weights and eat better. I played mostly soccer so I was 6' ft 165 during the season and went to about 180 off season. I was considered a big player

chest6 is offline Banned
    sports..baseball at first..then got really into it when I got into football as an 8th grader

steve0 is offline NASM~AFPA~CPT
    my cus/uncle own a Gym in Atlanta and i went to visit them one summer and all we did was workout so when i returned to TX i just keept on keeping on

zimmy is offline Anabolic Member
    to make myself a better fighter

Tren Bull is offline Dbol Junkie
    in 7th grade i was angry and wanted to hook up with pretty females. lifting became an escape for me, and a great outlet for my negative feelings

Undecided09 is offline Senior Member
    its funny I didn't start lifting really until after my sports days....I prolly have the weirdest one...I started lifting because I couldn't sleep at night...I needed something else to tire myself out so I could get to sleep at night...Almost Two years later here I am, 25 pounds bigger, more knowledgeable than I ever thought I would be, and about to to my first show October 7th, Whoda thunk it?

Mizfit is offline Banned
    i needed a hobby and soemthing to fill up spare time

JohnboyF is offline Banned
    I for some reason was always intrested when i was little around 7-8 years old. Most ofthose pics back then i was allways doing double pi poses etc and hulk-hogan flex. It could have been wrestling. I should have started earlier at 16ish but i started at 18..

Quote Originally Posted by FaizakaFez
    I for some reason was always intrested when i was little around 7-8 years old. Most ofthose pics back then i was allways doing double pi poses etc and hulk-hogan flex. It could have been wrestling. I should have started earlier at 16ish but i started at 18..

yea i wish i had started lifting, eating, and resting properly before i started kindergarten. haha, 18 years of training right would do a roid head like me good

perfectbeast2001 is offline "king of free stuff" / Retired
    I was a fat kid too. Got fed up with kids thinking i was a bouncy castle and greenpeace trying to roll my fat ass back out to sea so I hit the gym

robkesl is offline Senior Member
    i was always picked on, lets see i was like 6'1 140lbs. a stick, people always picked on me. now im the big one in the group at 6'2 205. i stick up for those guys.

DNoMac is offline Senior Member
    Football is huge where I came from, so naturally I trained my ass off for that. Once done with high school, I figured I'd gotten that far, might as well continue. I pretty much got hooked, especially once I saw results and how I could manipulate my own body. It also didn't hurt that the ladies dig a fit body as well. At this point, I'm addicted to fitness like Whitney Houston is to crack.

rar1015 is offline Anabolic Member
    I never really was into any sports during school. When i graduated i just needed something to do with my spare time so i started working out and im glad i chose to start working out.

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    i started to train for basketball, after a while i started to like the lifting more than the ball.
    one day a girl came up to me at my college gym and asked if i was a powelifter after she saw me deadlift. she told me that she was and i should check out the sport, so i did

11 years later i hold national and interntional records in all 3 lifts plus the total , in 2 different weight classes

to the girl that took her time out to talk to be about powerlfiting, if you are out there, i want to say THANK YOU!

Quote Originally Posted by Doc.Sust
    11 years later i hold national and interntional records in all 3 lifts plus the total , in 2 different weight classes

wow bro, i didn't know that. thats very impressive

Quote Originally Posted by Tren Bull
    wow bro, i didn't know that. thats very impressive

thanks bro. my glory days though are coming to a close, too much ware and tear on my body, i may have 3- 4 more solid years and i am done. than i might do some recreational BBing ,but i never plan on competeing, too much dieting, which i dont ever want to do again. the reason i have done so well in powerlifitng is i can manipulate my weight and drop into the lighter weight classes at weigh inns the day before the contest, and than bulk up 15lbs or more the day of the contest, i call it 'tricking the scale"

Quote Originally Posted by Doc.Sust
    thanks bro. my glory days though are coming to a close, too much ware and tear on my body, i may have 3- 4 more solid years and i am done. than i might do some recreational BBing ,but i never plan on competeing, too much dieting, which i dont ever want to do again. the reason i have done so well in powerlifitng is i can manipulate my weight and drop into the lighter weight classes at weigh inns the day before the contest, and than bulk up 15lbs or more the day of the contest, i call it 'tricking the scale"

damn bro, 15 pounds in one day? thats crazy

magic32 is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by tonytone
    as for me, i was always a fat kid, ALWAYS..when i got to highschool, i just got a lot worse..by the time i was a sophomore i was 6' and 278 lbs at my heaviest (of course i was like 100000% bf, and had never lifted a goddamn thing in my life)..all my friends were dating and starting to get laid, and what girl would want my disgusting fat ass?
    Sounds like Ryan Reynold's movie 'Just Friends'.

Lifting made me a better baller. Then I fell in with three monsters (these guys worked out with 315lbs, and still looked poetic on the hardwood) in college that lifted for two hours then went upstairs and rocked for three more. That lasted throughout grad school (and though less intense now) continues today...Bally's after work from 4-6pm and summer and winter leagues on the court.

M.

Andorious is offline Associate Member
    played a lot of soccer since I was 4 years old up until the end of highschool and was skinny as hell, 6 ft, 150 lbs. both older brothers were working out and i didnt wanna be skinny nemore so i got into it. kept getting more and more serious about it as my brothers taught me stuff and i grew significantly. Now i keep going cause i really enjoy it and bino would kill me if i stopped.

Homeguard is offline Associate Member
    Used to fight competively at judo. Weight training assisted in the strength buid up. Got friendly with olympic lifter at gym, trained with him (he went on to the Commonwealth games and was british champion a couple of times) then teamed up with a strngth athlete and slipped unconsciously into powerlifting. Now my joints are telling me "whoa there boy!!. You aint in ur 20's no more" Unfortunately I have always loved the hard work

Quote Originally Posted by Homeguard
    Used to fight competively at judo. Weight training assisted in the strength buid up. Got friendly with olympic lifter at gym, trained with him (he went on to the Commonwealth games and was british champion a couple of times) then teamed up with a strngth athlete and slipped unconsciously into powerlifting. Now my joints are telling me "whoa there boy!!. You aint in ur 20's no more" Unfortunately I have always loved the hard work
    my friend, trust me, i know your pain!

Stumbo is offline Senior Member
    my girlfriend lost her virginity to my best friend. I was planning on killing him with my bare hands, so i started working out.

Never did kill him, but i kept lifting.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumbo
    my girlfriend lost her virginity to my best friend. I was planning on killing him with my bare hands, so i started working out.

Never did kill him, but i kept lifting.

are you serious bro? what a bitch... your boy and your ex

Stumbo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tren Bull
    are you serious bro? what a bitch... your boy and your ex
    i blame him more then her, everybody who was there said she was belligerently drunk, and that no dude in his right mind would have taken her home with him. But that doesnt excuse what she did, i dont associate with her in any way now.

Im over it, and still lift, because i enjoy it now.

HULKBOY is offline Member
    dad was sort of an amateur bodybuilder in his day and he got me into it in high school...never really played sports just lifted and got bigger than the kids that did play sports LOL..people always thought i was a football player or something..but just hit the iron hard and ate like a gat damned horse!!

D3m3nt3d is offline AR's Whore D'Oeuvre
    I got tired of looking like a walking Gumby

MoneyAddyct is offline Member
    I needed a hobby, wanted to hook-up with hot girls and always considered myself extremely skinny and blamed that for my lack of confidence. I think I was right. With the muscle mass came the confidence. I'm still workin on it though. But 40 lean lbs later (I started at 128 - 5'8") I'm a much happier person than I ever was.

Plus, my dad used to be heavy into bodybuilding in high school and college and still is today. He's also a physical therapist and I sort of grew up with weight equipment all around at his office.

steve0 is offline NASM~AFPA~CPT
    i just starting lifting a few days ago.

mariana is offline Banned
    My boyfriend was a gym junkie and I followed him around the gym learning. He ended up dumping me for some blond girl with fake tits, so I switched gyms and kept at it. Months later I had a great shape and his friends told him and he wanted to get with me again so bad but I told him he's shit out of luck. That is what he gets for being asshole.

guest589745 is offline 2/3 Deca 1/3 Test
    I basically was pissed at a lot of things and needed a way to release my aggression and turn it into something positive. That showed myself and reminded me of what I have been through. I was a virgin til I started lifting too

Streaker is offline Member
    My dad was a beast when I was younger and he started taking me to his gym with him in the morning before school when I was 12. I used to love going with him but I didn’t get really serious until I was in college. I wish I could find a gym like the one he used to bring me to. It was a small old school power lifter gym. This gym was a polar opposite of the fancy 24 hour fitness flashy type gyms my town now has.

ShnouzedUp is offline Banned
    i come from a family of personal trainers. I grew up with a full size gym in my house.. both my mom and dad have been personal trainers out of our home for 25+ years. i started at age 13 for 7th grade football...i was badass

Kale is offline ~ Vet~ I like Thai Girls
    My turn, I started lifting when I was 18, thats 33 years ago now. The reason was because I was a skinny ass geek with absolutely no self esteem whatsoever. I use to watch old Herculees movies and think, "damn I would like to look like that, look at the chics that fvcker gets". So I started pumping iron, it was hard in those days, there was no protein available to me and my dietry instructions were to drink five pints of milk a day and eat anything in site. We knew nothing about clean bulking and my parents didnt have the money to buy all the good food required anyway, but I still managed to put on 15lbs or so in the first couple of years. Then the "Pumping Iron" movie came out, which I actually went to the movies to see, and that did it for me, it was the most motivational movie I have ever seen. I have been working out ever since
    Last edited by Kale; 08-01-2006 at 02:57 AM.

collar is offline Anabolic Member
    i was a sprinter , went into training started gaining fair bit of muscle. Loved it then the rest is history.

Katelette81 is offline Female Member
    I was a lazy slob living with a bb. He woke me up and told me to drag my fat ass to the gym with him that day... i copmlied and never looked back. Any time I went to eat something bad I'd get a look... or a question..haha... it was great..

Kale is offline ~ Vet~ I like Thai Girls
    Quote Originally Posted by Katelette81
    I was a lazy slob living with a bb. He woke me up and told me to drag my fat ass to the gym with him that day... i copmlied and never looked back. Any time I went to eat something bad I'd get a look... or a question..haha... it was great..
    Damn and look what you turned into

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    through wrestling. I was always a fat kid and got into wrestling to get rid of the fat. Dropped alot of weight and me and a few buddies started lifting to become better wrestlers. After a while we ditched the wrestling and just keept on lifting

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information