Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mike Dura is offline Senior Member

Recognizing the reality of depression

Unless you've had it, you start to recognize depression is largely misunderstood. I think when people think about depression he or she tries to relate it to their experience of "having a fleeting bad mood" and just snapping out of it later in the day. Which amounts to a confirmation of their powers - the belief in "mind over matter." No doubt by me however, depression is real, incapacitating and qualitatively different than that fleeting bad mood. It's so overwhelming you have to retreat.

It's a funny thing when you try to explain to significant others that you need space or need to withdraw for a while they just don't seem to understand and your explanation isn't believed. It's like trying to explain snow to Jamaicans. You recognize that you truly are alone when you are depressed. It's quite a hole to be in.

You're concentration can become so impaired that you don't know what's going on around you and you start to feel defective. That's a very scary, very disorienting experience. I experienced this and this profound inexpressable experience of groundlessness or nothingness and it was a sobering, scary place to be. Luckily, I had some pharmaceuticals on hand in anticipation of that well known low test/low seratonin tendancy. Two days of Lexipro (I respond uncharacteristically fast to this medication) and I feel like I'm back in the game. Up to that point though, I had to talk my way through it - "this is temporary" I kept saying. "This is just low test and with it low seratonin and the meds will correct this....Just suck it up and give it a week." This reasoning got me through the funk and the deep desire to escape the pain. Wow!

Sage is offline Anabolic Member
    f'ck, why u always type so much in every thread you start, but i dig what you are saying bro.

Phreak101 is offline Anabolic Member
    Depression is a mindset. Yes it is chemical to a degree, but the checmical balances are determined by behavioral response. If you've lived your life constantly telling yourself mentally that your miserable, your body will physically adapt to that mindset.

So yes, you are correct, no one can describe depression because there ARE physical affects to it. But, anyone can change, it's all a matter of training your mind!

I am a huge advocate of the mind being a muscle. All these bros on here bust their ass lifting weights, but there seems to be a lot of depressed bros on here! Exercise your mind! It takes 10 mins a day, just like any other muscle group! There are many many age old techniques to work the mind out to feel more confident, focused, and happy overall.

Bench press for the brain baby! It's the most important muscle you've got!

kyjelly is offline Banned
    When I get depressed, I used to cut my wrist.

After I got out of the hospital for too much loss of blood, I just started snorting **** when I get depressed.

Also, sex seems to undepress me.

[edited by: Narkissos: No rec talk]

Receiver84 is offline Associate Member
    "Depression is a mindset. Yes it is chemical to a degree"

That's about the biggest load of BS. Don't talk about stuff you don't understand. Depression goes far deeper then ones "Mindset" and is completely associates with imbalances within the brain. This would explain why taking a little pill helps so much for so many. Millions of people wish it was as simple at saying to themselves "I am Strong" "I can get over it". It's not that simple.

To the poster. Good luck with that issue bro, keep on it, and don't do anything stupid!

NotSmall is offline English Rudeboy
    Quote Originally Posted by kyjelly
    When I get depressed, I used to cut my wrist.

After I got out of the hospital for too much loss of blood, I just started snorting **** [edited: Narkissos] when I get depressed.
    Also, sex seems to undepress me.
    Yeah, cos thats BOUND to help

Mesomorphyl is offline Smart Ass Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Receiver84

That's about the biggest load of BS. Don't talk about stuff you don't understand. Depression goes far deeper then ones "Mindset" and is completely associates with imbalances within the brain. This would explain why taking a little pill helps so much for so many. Millions of people wish it was as simple at saying to themselves "I am Strong" "I can get over it". It's not that simple.

To the poster. Good luck with that issue bro, keep on it, and don't do anything stupid!
    Then how does psychotherapy without meds help people? If those that come out of it and recognize it as such... and get over it that simply?

Mesomorphyl is offline Smart Ass Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phreak101
    Depression is a mindset. Yes it is chemical to a degree, but the checmical balances are determined by behavioral response. If you've lived your life constantly telling yourself mentally that your miserable, your body will physically adapt to that mindset.

So yes, you are correct, no one can describe depression because there ARE physical affects to it. But, anyone can change, it's all a matter of training your mind!
    I agree... ask a depressed person to hold their head up, shoulders back, then ask them how they feel. Even physiological changes can change minds.

goodcents is offline "body piercing & body jewelry expert"
    My god, what are you so depressed about? you have a woman (actually 2, I have none, just sometimes sluts and messed in the head women) I assume you have money to eat (my explorer got repoed cause I could'nt make the payments so my credit is fuked) if that's you in the pics then you are wwaaayy ahead of me in the game.(I have a pot gut right now) I struggle every day with chrohns which just makes life a living hell some days (makes working out a painful experience) and always have to come up with money so I don't lose my store. Sorry to be mean, but been their and I never even had what you have, so tuff up big boy

Mizfit is offline Banned
    Everyone has problems - some aren't as visible as others

Quote Originally Posted by Mizfit
    Here's some of mine:
    fear of failure
    bad back
    chrohns
    poor (but fighting everyday )
    no commentment and lack of trust
    fuked credit
    gut (working on that, but still messes with you)
    always a bill collector fuking with me
    abuse as a kid
    boys home
    poor eye sight

But with all that I patter on

zimmy is offline Anabolic Member

I am a huge advocate of the mind being a muscle. All these bros on here bust their ass lifting weights, but there seems to be a lot of depressed bros on here! Exercise your mind! It takes 10 mins a day, just like any other muscle group! There are many many age old techniques to work the mind out to feel more confident, focused, and happy overall.

Have to disagree with you. I am very glad that you think that's true...it means you are not afflicted nor have you ever been. But it just isn't. It's like being underwater...and no matter what you do, you can't seem to make your way to the surface....and the harder you try...the more frusterated you get and it just adds to your depression.

zimmy is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mesomorphyl
    Then how does psychotherapy without meds help people? If those that come out of it and recognize it as such... and get over it that simply?

there's a difference with being clinically depressed and just being sad or having problems.

What I wouldn't give to have the same level of fitness you have and not being in total fuking pain everyday, you would so be happy to live a day in my shoes and go back to being you. Pop some test if you have too, it's better than blowing your brains out (something I wanted to do everyday a few years ago)tuff love saved me

yep...i manage to hide mine well.

Mizfit is offline Banned
    I think there are alot more depressed or anxious or just problemed ppl in general than anyone realizes..

Goodcents - I realize that things might seem alot better for tren , but seriously - no one knows someone elses shoes, till they walk in them..

Been thru alot myself in life - and some ofit does seem unfair. I heard a saying once, i'm sure everyone has - god only gives us what he knows we can handle..(even though i have trouble bleeiving this myself) There has to be a reason for some of the insanity.. i really think so

Funny thing, tim mcgraws "live like you were dieing" song came on and it made me think how I got out from underneth the depression cloud and saw the light. Hell I may have chrohns till I die because they don't have a cure yet ( well actually they kind of do, but one of the side effects is "may cause sudden death" I was like wtf?no thanks and it's through an iv!

I think there are alot more depressed or anxious or just problemed ppl in general than anyone realizes..

Goodcents - I realize that things might seem alot better for tren, but seriously - no one knows someone elses shoes, till they walk in them..

Been thru alot myself in life - and some ofit does seem unfair. I heard a saying once, i'm sure everyone has - god only gives us what he knows we can handle..(even though i have trouble bleeiving this myself) There has to be a reason for some of the insanity.. i really think so
    It's mike dura not tren lets not em' confused now It's funny in a warped way

Mizfit is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by goodcents
    It's mike dura not tren lets not em' confused now It's funny in a warped way
    oopsy - my mind is a little fuzzy this week

U knew what i meant buddy

[QUOTE=Mizfit]oopsy - my mind is a little fuzzy this week

Poor man's depressed and you can't get his name right that's just funny

With love mizfit

Poor tren , he's been down lately

Mizfit is offline Banned
    [QUOTE=goodcents]
    oopsy - my mind is a little fuzzy this week

Poor man's depressed and you can't get his name right that's just funny

With love mizfit
    Fine!

from now on.. i call u all cutie pie

(Just like in real life)

Quote Originally Posted by Receiver84

Excuse me but who the fvck are you?

I was diagnosed with clinical depression when I was 16 after my best friend hung himself, and they put me on prozac at 16 years old. 16!

You're wacked out of your skull if you think that pharmaceutical companies don't LOVE the idea of a "disease" that can't be diagnosed yet has 50 different meds that can be sold for the rest of a persons life to battle their "depression"

It IS as simple as saying that. Depression is rage turn inwards, people ahve subconscious record players playing in their minds all day everyday telling themselves they are worhtless, no good, can't succeed, etc. The body will then ADAPT to that method of thinking. If these people could reprogram their subconscious to playback things like "I am the best, I can do this, I am a winner, etc", then they would feel it. I am living proof!

I was a depressed 16 yr old on the verge of suicide, and thanks to my research and mental practicing, I am now making 6 figures a year, box competitively, happy with my life, have a great girl, life is awesome to the nth degree!

Go receive a brain and sit down punk
    Last edited by Phreak101; 08-25-2006 at 03:00 PM.

Mizfit is offline Banned
    Excuse me but who the fvck are you?

I was diagnosed with clinical depression when I was 16 after my best friend hung himself, and they put me on prozac at 16 years old. 16!

You're wacked out of your skull if you think that pharmaceutical companies don't LOVE the idea of a "disease" that can't be diagnosed yet has 50 different meds that can be sold for the rest of a persons life to battle their "depression"

It IS as simple as saying that. Depression is rage turn inwards, people ahve subconscious record players playing in their minds all day everyday telling themselves they are worhtless, no good, can't succeed, etc. The body will then ADAPT to that method of thinking. If these people could reprogram their subconscious to playback things like "I am the best, I can do this, I am a winner, etc", then they would feel it. I am living proof!

I was a depressed 16 yr old on the verge of suicide, and thanks to my research and mental practicing, I am now making 6 figures a year boxing competitively, happy with my life, have a great girl, life is awesome to the nth degree!

I have studied the topic thoroughly, and I stand by my statement. I have used it for years, and it has helped both my ADD and my depression monumentally. Anyone can do it, no one tries, they default to a pill.

Sit down punk.
    HUn - sometimes there is no point in rationalizing with someone - people can not understand things they can't accept

Quote Originally Posted by zimmy
    there's a difference with being clinically depressed and just being sad or having problems.
    Yeah, clinical depression is the physical byproduct of having a negative attitude ALL the time and subconsciously imbellishing in it.

[QUOTE=Mizfit]
    Fine!

from now on.. i call u all cutie pie

(Just like in real life)
    Sorry that was just funny "who are you again " oh shlt I'm still laughing, my side is hurting a guy named frank is ready to jump " don't jump john, we need you"

Mizfit is offline Banned
    [QUOTE=goodcents]

Sorry that was just funny "who are you again " oh shlt I'm still laughing, my side is hurting a guy named frank is ready to jump " don't jump john, we need you"
    I have ADHD - do you have any clue how many men have gotten pissed at me for not remebering their names

HUn - sometimes there is no point in rationalizing with someone - people can not understand things they can't accept
    I appreciate the kind and knowledgeable words, per usual.

[QUOTE=Mizfit]
    I have ADHD - do you have any clue how many men have gotten pissed at me for not remebering their names
    I have add really bad, razzing on you with love you should see me remember girls names. One time me and an ex were talking and she didn't know my last name, so I said "you don't even know my last name" she said " I didn't need to know your last name to fuk you" I was like you win.

[QUOTE=goodcents]

I have add really bad, razzing on you with love you should see me remember girls names. One time me and an ex were talking and she didn't know my last name, so I said "you don't even know my last name" she said " I didn't need to know your last name to fuk you" I was like you win.
    Nice!

The girl can call me Phreaky Fvckpants for all I care as long as she is willing to give me what I want

There's definately some truth to what you are saying. Behavioral responses escalate that original chemical imbalance (fueling the flames) and it can become a downward spiral process for your moods. There are basically two ways of attacking depression.

(1) Thoughts/behaviors - that's what the cognitive-behavioral therapist targets. Bad thoughts engender bad moods and bad moods attract bad thoughts so if we change the thought we can change the mood.

(2) Pharmaceutical - working on the level of neurotransmitters; that's what the psychiatrist targets via medication. Through meds, for example, we can lesson the uptake of seraton and it remains longer in the synapse and this impacts mood in a positive sense and maybe our thinking improves too (but not necessarily).

You combine both (1) and (2) you've got a good one-two punch. The two aproaches compliment each other.

We can't, however, overgeneralize this idea of "mind over matter." Some chemical imbalances are so profound that the heroic mantra "mind over matter" has little import. Schizophrenia is an example of that. Depression can also be just as profound. And I think this is important to understand not just to better empathize with depressed individuals but to better grasp what you are going through (if this should happen to you).

It's hard to accept that their are some things out of our control and that we may become overwhelmed and defeated. And this is ashame because it gets in the way of empathizing with those who may genuinely suffer from mental illness (like a mood disorder). Sometimes, mind cannot surmount matter and we have to acknowlege human limitations and not treat others who suffer with impunity and blame.

Yes, to a degree. But there are limits to that too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mesomorphyl
    I agree... ask a depressed person to hold their head up, shoulders back, then ask them how they feel. Even physiological changes can change minds.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Dura
    We can't, however, overgeneralize this idea of "mind over matter." Some chemical imbalances are so profound that the heroic mantra "mind over matter" has little import. Schizophrenia is an example of that. Depression can also be just as profound. And I think this is important to understand not just to better empathize with depressed individuals but to better grasp what you are going through (if this should happen to you).

It's hard to accept that their are some things out of our control and that we may become overwhelmed and defeated. And this is ashame because it gets in the way of empathizing with those who may genuinely suffer from mental illness (like a mood disorder). Sometimes, mind cannot surmount matter and we have to acknowlege human limitations and not treat others who suffer with impunity and blame.
    Totally agree with you there Mike. But I stand by the fact the meds PLUS psychotherapy/reprogramming will, for lack of a better word, "heal" the depression. Meds do exactly what they are supposed to do, they medicate. They do not, however, do anything to improve the depression over the long term.

You are obviously a very dedicated guy by looking at your avatar. I encourage you to really pick up some positive self help books and learn to truly unleash the power of your mind. It may not be a miracle, but I can promise you, just like I would promise someone if they ate right and lifted they would get bigger, that you WILL see improvements if you put your mind to it!

Good luck bro.

There's definately some truth to what you are saying. Behavioral responses escalate that original chemical imbalance (fueling the flames) and it can become a downward spiral process for your moods. There are basically two ways of attacking depression.

(1) Thoughts/behaviors - that's what the cognitive-behavioral therapist targets. Bad thoughts engender bad moods and bad moods attract bad thoughts so if we change the thought we can change the mood.

(2) Pharmaceutical - working on the level of neurotransmitters; that's what the psychiatrist targets via medication. Through meds, for example, we can lesson the uptake of seraton and it remains longer in the synapse and this impacts mood in a positive sense and maybe our thinking improves too (but not necessarily).

You combine both (1) and (2) you've got a good one-two punch. The two aproaches compliment each other.

you are thinking about shlt too much, I can't even start to read everything you write I've been where you are and it sucked for a few years even. You have to pull yourself up or you will spin deeper into what I call the tornado. You are depressed, then people start avoiding you which makes you even more depressed, viscious cycle "it's like a load of bricks, as soon as you lay em' down you can move quicker"

I appreciate what you're saying but I think what you're saying assumes that all is equal. We are genetically unique from each other. Our socialization is also quite different. Because of these two things, comparing how you respond to things (vs me) is like comparing apples with oranges. The bottom line is, we're talking about suffering and to judge whether the situation that causes pain is legitimate or not is beside the point.

My god, what are you so depressed about? you have a woman (actually 2, I have none, just sometimes sluts and messed in the head women) I assume you have money to eat (my explorer got repoed cause I could'nt make the payments so my credit is fuked) if that's you in the pics then you are wwaaayy ahead of me in the game.(I have a pot gut right now) I struggle every day with chrohns which just makes life a living hell some days (makes working out a painful experience) and always have to come up with money so I don't lose my store. Sorry to be mean, but been their and I never even had what you have, so tuff up big boy

I appreciate what you're saying but I think what you're saying assumes that all is equal. We are genetically unique from each other. Our socialization is also quite different. Because of these two things, comparing how you respond to things (vs me) is like comparing apples with oranges. The bottom line is, we're talking about suffering and to judge whether the situation that causes pain is legitimate or not is beside the point.
    Well I'm out, hope you get better you're spinning in the tornado, jump out of it soon before it takes you with it.

I have picked up those books. In fact, I've done better, I have an M.S. in psychology. I agree that there are certain skills that can be learned that lesson suffering. Yet, it doesn't take away from the point I already made about human limitations. It's good to be optimistic but that should be balanced with being realistic.

Totally agree with you there Mike. But I stand by the fact the meds PLUS psychotherapy/reprogramming will, for lack of a better word, "heal" the depression. Meds do exactly what they are supposed to do, they medicate. They do not, however, do anything to improve the depression over the long term.

You are obviously a very dedicated guy by looking at your avatar. I encourage you to really pick up some positive self help books and learn to truly unleash the power of your mind. It may not be a miracle, but I can promise you, just like I would promise someone if they ate right and lifted they would get bigger, that you WILL see improvements if you put your mind to it!

Good luck bro.

What do you mean by this?

QUOTE=Mizfit]HUn - sometimes there is no point in rationalizing with someone - people can not understand things they can't accept[/QUOTE]

I have picked up those books. In fact, I've done better, I have an M.S. in psychology. I agree that there are certain skills that can be learned that lesson suffering. Yet, it doesn't take away from the point I already made about human limitations. It's good to be optimistic but that should be balanced with being realistic.
    I minored in psyche which is all I can really say. The positive attitude is obviously not the key to the lock of depression, but it's not as if wallowing in why you have it will make it better.

Realistic is relative to what you feel it should be. When I was 16 I wanted to punch happy people in the face. I could not stand the idea that they could know how unhappy the world could be yet they always saw the bright side of things. Their reality was simply to SEE the bright side of things, they were mentally trained to do so.

The trick is to make optimism your reality. It's a hard thing to do, but I'd rather try and fail then not try at all...

What do you mean by this?

QUOTE=Mizfit]HUn - sometimes there is no point in rationalizing with someone - people can not understand things they can't accept
    [/QUOTE]

She was empathizing with me because of the way that jackass above responded to my first post.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information