cfiler is offline Anabolic Member

Upgrading a computer.

Is it worth upgrading to a 64 bit processor yet? There doesn't seem to be alot of programs that can take advantage of it, over a 32 bit processor.

I'm going to be upgrading my ram regardless to atleast 1gig. Trying to deciede if I should go to 2 gigs though.

zimmy is offline Anabolic Member
    definately not worth it. Barely any progs available for it...and the 64 bit version of windows is not so good.

zOaib is offline VET
    Quote Originally Posted by cfiler
    Is it worth upgrading to a 64 bit processor yet? There doesn't seem to be alot of programs that can take advantage of it, over a 32 bit processor.

I'm going to be upgrading my ram regardless to atleast 1gig. Trying to deciede if I should go to 2 gigs though.
    what are your system specs as of yet , and i can tell you from there .

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    If you are going to upgrade your computer soon i would go with a 64 x2 (dual core) processor. 1gig of memory is almost required these days, 2 gigs will last you a good while.

I have a AMD Athalon 2.8ghz CPU, only 512mbs of ram though, and 3 harddrives. Ranging in size from 20gigs to 100gigs.

I don't know the bus speed of the processor. The motherboard is a Asus, but I don't remeber the model.

The only game I play on it is world of warcraft. Which runs fine, but I think it could run alittle better. I'm thinking that with 1 gig it should run better. But I'm wondering if I should go with 2 gigs if my computer would still be fine for awhile. I know the ram is ddr 400mhz, which is pretty outdated now.

Kal-El is offline Associate Member
    AMD 64x x2 4400 is a great processor, run that with a Asus board, and at least 2GB ram and a nice video card and you should be good to go for awhile. stay away from the 64 bit windows versions because they run like crap. but as most of the newer processors out now are 64 bit capable its worth the upgrade even if you dont use it.

outofthebox is offline Associate Member
    64bit cpu's are a waste, and actually waste ram....when you are running a 64bit OS, ram is reserved in 64bit chunks....if you run a 32bit application, it still reserves each chunk of memory in 32bit chunks but the hack they use to run it causes the 32bit applications to wast a ton of memory, to be exact, blow away twice the amount that it needs....so until the majority of the applications you run are 64bit, either hunker down and buy a bunch of ram, or wait....if you are an open source kinda person tho, hit up linux and use that 64 bit...either way, i'd stick to intel, yes, in benchmarks NOT REAL USAGE of cpu amd will win out...but in real world tests, applications respond and run faster with intel...why you might ask? compiler optimization, as much as the amd fan boys out there will tell you amd is better, they just dont look at real world applications. compiler optimizations allow a better usage of cpu, almost all high end business and even most game developers compile for intel, why? because intel owns the market...wouldnt you want your applications to run faster on the majority of peoples computers rather than the minority?
    just my 2 cents, not trying to start a flame war

I'm going to upgrade to 2 gigs for now, but I'm keeping my eye on these 64 bit processors. That way when they become more mainstream, I'll already know what type of info I should be looking for.

Coop77 is offline Senior Member
    your 64 bit processor will be running in 32 bit mode unless you have a 64 bit operating system

Thread Information