NotSmall is offline English Rudeboy

Advice on opening a gym

There was a thread about this a while back but I'm starting a new one!

It's been my long term goal for some years now to one day own & run my own gym, I was figuring on it happening 2-5 yrs down the line but some premises are up for grabs near me that would be ideal and its making me think about trying to put it together sooner.

To guys that own their own gym: I spoke to my financial advisor today and I'm gonna be meeting with him to get a business plan together and I want to go armed with as much knowledge as possible so please post up anything that you think might be helpful from the most basic to the more complicated aspects. Stuff like how memberships are controlled, i.e. can you get one piece of computer software that somehow liases between your bank account and your membership database so that if you let members pay on a month by month basis it would flag up who has not paid or do you have to manually check each month - could get impractical once you have a few members.
    Also (more for the UK boys as laws probably differ) do I have to have a certified trainer on site at all times for insurance purposes or anything like that?
    Would you recommend buying or leasing equipment?
    + any other info you think would be useful to me!

To anyone else that uses a commercial gym:What do you like / dislike about gyms you use now or have used in the past? i.e. what makes you choose one gym over another?

Thanks guys!

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    I cant speak for the UK but small gyms in the US fail. They arent profitable and you cant compete with the chains.

GUnit33 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gixxerboy1
    I cant speak for the UK but small gyms in the US fail. They arent profitable and you cant compete with the chains.
    I wouldn't say that. There are 3 or 4 "smaller" gyms here in omaha that do VERY well. I am a member at one of them, but am also a member at 24 hour.

THE_DOME is offline Anabolic Member
    there is a small profitable gym in my location pretty small and i like them, there are no fitness traininers running around. They deduct month by month from the bank account no contract and just a 30 sign up fee, then there after its 18 per person or 27 for a couple which is hella of a deal compared to 24hr.

Quote Originally Posted by GUnit33
    I wouldn't say that. There are 3 or 4 "smaller" gyms here in omaha that do VERY well. I am a member at one of them, but am also a member at 24 hour.
    Well I'm in commercial fitness sales. So i see it. There is the exception. But for the amount of risk and hours an owner has to put in its not a good business choice

i love local businesses i am anti corporation since my 24hr debocle

Quote Originally Posted by THE_DOME
    there is a small profitable gym in my location pretty small and i like them, there are no fitness traininers running around. They deduct month by month from the bank account no contract and just a 30 sign up fee, then there after its 18 per person or 27 for a couple which is hella of a deal compared to 24hr.
    Thats the problem. A small gym cant charge as much as the larger chains. Think how many members it takes at $18 each to pay bills and to make it worth your while. Especially for a new gym who is still paying off their equipment. An older place might get away with it.

Down in the southwest of england where I live there really aren't any big chain gyms so thats not really that much of an issue.

gixxer - if you're in commercial fitness sales you must have some useful info for me, c'mon share with your good mate NotSmall!

THE DOME - specifically what do you prefer about the smaller gym, what makes you choose them?

get some used equipment find a place in a good location with cheap rent make sacrifices , as the owner just work your ass of in marketing and working the desk, train people for extra. Hire family members under the table. something that would be awsome in my area would be a hardcore gym wear the have db that go up to 150s and purly for hardcore lifters. But in actuallity the way to make your money is to cater to the families around new years becuase about 80%of them will stop going to the gym withing three months

Gyms make their money off of the average 20-40 man and women. Not bb's. Even though your into BB try not to build your gym around that. Majority of your members are going to want ellipticals and machines.

Your going to need an assortment of cardio pieces. And at least a full circuit of machines. Plus you free weight stuff. The free weight area should be a small % of your floor space.

Also buy good equipment. If you try and save you will only be replacing it and costing you more.

get some used equipment find a place in a good location with cheap rent make sacrifices , as the owner just work your ass of in marketing and working the desk, train people for extra. Hire family members under the table. something that would be awsome in my area would be a hardcore gym wear the have db that go up to 150s and purly for hardcore lifters. But in actuallity the way to make your money is to cater to the families around new years becuase about 80%of them will stop going to the gym withing three months
    That is the worst advice. Used stuff is usually abused. Also used stuff comes with no warranty. And new commercial stuff breaks. Used stuff will cost him more in the long run.

Hackamaniac is offline King Without a Crown ~
    I go to a small gym and enjoy it but it's all I have unless I want to drive 30miles everyday...

That is the worst advice. Used stuff is usually abused. Also used stuff comes with no warranty. And new commercial stuff breaks. Used stuff will cost him more in the long run.

dude i am not talking about yard sales. i understand what you mean by not being a good choice but still a suggestion.

Yeah there have been 2 "spit 'n' sawdust" hardcore gyms open and fail in my area so I'm not going down that route exclusively, I do want a respectable free weight gym for the meatheads as there is a market for this (there are alot of clubs in my town and clubs = doormen) but I realise that gyms make the majority of their cash from fat housewives who use their membership twice a year so my plan is to split the gym and have a seperate "cardio suite" so the ladies don't have to share a space with the grunting knuckle draggers!
    I also want to have a studio type area for aerobics and martial arts classes, tanning facilities, a healthy cafe serving up shakes etc and a supplement shop.

dude i am not talking about yard sales. i understand what you mean by not being a good choice but still a suggestion.
    I know that. But used commercial stuff is a big risk. Shit just breaks. And there is no way to tell if it will last 3 years or 3 days. And parts and labor are very expensive. If he bought a used tread for 2k and something common goes it cost him $1500 to fix it. And there is still no guarantee. Its more cost effective to by new.

Now used stuff like dB's ,benches and racks would be OK. Just get some new upholstery. Don't buy any used cardio pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by NotSmall
    Yeah there have been 2 "spit 'n' sawdust" hardcore gyms open and fail in my area so I'm not going down that route exclusively, I do want a respectable free weight gym for the meatheads as there is a market for this (there are alot of clubs in my town and clubs = doormen) but I realise that gyms make the majority of their cash from fat housewives who use their membership twice a year so my plan is to split the gym and have a seperate "cardio suite" so the ladies don't have to share a space with the grunting knuckle draggers!
    I also want to have a studio type area for aerobics and martial arts classes, tanning facilities, a healthy cafe serving up shakes etc and a supplement shop.
    I seen gyms rent this space to a separate owner with great success. One less aspect you have to worry about and its guaranteed rent.

It sounds like you have a good idea to make it work. Do you have a ruff figure what you think equipment would cost you?

I know that. But used commercial stuff is a big risk. Shit just breaks. And there is no way to tell if it will last 3 years or 3 days. And parts and labor are very expensive. If he bought a used tread for 2k and something common goes it cost him $1500 to fix it. And there is still no guarantee. Its more cost effective to by new.

Now used stuff like dB's ,benches and racks would be OK. Just get some new upholstery. Don't buy any used cardio pieces.
    I was told today that it is more cost effective to lease the cardio stuff as then you always have the latest kit, but buy secondhand free weights and new machines.

also a seperate cardio area for women is a differnce that golds did im my area because they sometime feel uncompfortable with all the men hound dogging them. tanning is a great idea. also yoga, abs, aerobic classes are always great.

the cafe is always a cool idea

Quote Originally Posted by NotSmall
    I was told today that it is more cost effective to lease the cardio stuff as then you always have the latest kit, but buy secondhand free weights and new machines.
    True sometimes that is better. You have to figure that by what kind of deal you can get. As long as you get new your ok. Plus most members arent going to want to join a new gym with old mismatched stuff

I seen gyms rent this space to a separate owner with great success. One less aspect you have to worry about and its guaranteed rent.

It sounds like you have a good idea to make it work. Do you have a ruff figure what you think equipment would cost you?
    What's good is that it already has cafe facilities in there, I am thinking of getting my girlie to run that side of things but was thinking of renting space to a tanning company and creaming part of the takings off and initially I would rent out the studio space until my cash flow allowed me to pay someone to take the classes.
    The supplement shop should be a nice little earner as well, theres NOWHERE decent in the area to buy supps so guys have to buy mail order, I won't stock anything fancy - just whey & creatine etc it will make sense for them to buy from me as it will be 10x more convenient and it will add nothing to my overheads, I can just sell 'em over the front desk!

just buy kelley and criag titus's old gym

just joking

perfectbeast2001 is offline "king of free stuff" / Retired
    also a seperate cardio area for women is a differnce that golds did im my area because they sometime feel uncompfortable with all the men hound dogging them. tanning is a great idea. also yoga, abs, aerobic classes are always great.

the cafe is always a cool idea
    You should have some peep holes cut into the women only bit and sell tickets to all the hound doggers!! YEEHAA!

hey not small where in UK are you mate? I'm in South. I'll join your gym if its near enough, and I want tickets to look into the female area obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by perfectbeast2001
    hey not small where in UK are you mate? I'm in South. I'll join your gym if its near enough, and I want tickets to look into the female area obviously.
    Nr Newquay me ol' cocker, where are you?

aah shame I'm all the way over in Brighton. I go to Newquay sometimes. Seem to remember spending lots of time in a bar/club called sailors

crash187ct is offline Senior Member
    i hate that the plates aren't in order, and the weight room isn't clean. i also don't like crappy equipment and lack of equipment (eg. sit down leg extensions, leg curls)

Quote Originally Posted by perfectbeast2001
    aah shame I'm all the way over in Brighton. I go to Newquay sometimes. Seem to remember spending lots of time in a bar/club called sailors
    Oh yeah, the gay club!

lol, nah sailors is cool, a couple of my mates work on the door there.

Come on guys, don't be shy, share your wisdom with NotSmall.

auslifta is offline Retired MONITOR
    thats a goal i have too wish you luck,lease cardio buy new free weights and machine. give a discount for foundation members. get some big guys to go there even at a discounted rate.hire hot staff members.keep extremely clean.water fountains(drinking)good air con.tv's front of cardio.create friendly attmosphere buy starting team competetions within gym eg most miles by team in a week.section gym up. make women friendly;get the women men will follow i have many ideas just pm me.

Well I drove by the venue I had in mind today and its being turned into a novotel

Never mind, I still wanna do it and this has made me realise that I was going at this the wrong way round, I need to get the framework of a business plan in place and get some funding agreed in principal so that when another venue presents itself I will be ready to move quickly.

goose is offline Banned
    I wish you all the luck bro....

Get this book,it will help loads...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/155...lance&n=283155

Quote Originally Posted by goose4
    I wish you all the luck bro....

Get this book,it will help loads...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/155...lance&n=283155
    Thanks Goose

Thread Information