College and the forgotton commandment thou serious in training shall not drink

Who here is in college currently or finished up college and found that not going out with your buddies and not drinking while trying to train seriously is difficult. After a pretty clean summer I found myself drinking 4 times already since ive been away at school for the past 2 weeks. I can feel my body slipping and it must stop. Anybody have any tips, or anything I can do to stop me from not drinking. I mean I can easily not drink but we all know its just not as much fun when your out and your stone sober and everyone else is somewhat buzzed. I can think of many positives that will come out of it if I stop but I dont wanna hear that same ol' saying your wasting your youth away, enjoy what you have becuase one day it will all be gone.

QuieTSToRM33 is offline Anabolic Member
    Instead of drinkin ....... throw a lip

thats what i would do

Not to sound dumb...but what is throw a lip....chewing tabacco?

tonytone is offline Anabolic Member
    shit...i can have just as much (if not more) fun when im sober..i look at everyone making asses of themselves, and i think to myself, "glad i dont look like that jackass"..

but i have run into a problem quite often..sometimes girls are drunk, and they know im sober, and they think im "lame" or some shit...and they will constantly say "come on have a drink", "why are you not drinking", "i guess youre too good to drink with us", or some shit like that...and no matter how hot a girl is, that shit gets on my nerves real quick

Bojangles69 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tonytone
    shit...i can have just as much (if not more) fun when im sober..i look at everyone making asses of themselves, and i think to myself, "glad i dont look like that jackass"..

but i have run into a problem quite often..sometimes girls are drunk, and they know im sober, and they think im "lame" or some shit...and they will constantly say "come on have a drink", "why are you not drinking", "i guess youre too good to drink with us", or some shit like that...and no matter how hot a girl is, that shit gets on my nerves real quick
    yeh im not even straight edge and it gets on my nerves. the fact that i choose to associate myself with people who actually have real goals and aspirations in life makes THEM lame. i can have fun and be an idiot without drinking, some people just need that excuse..
    and yeh ive heard the "too good" shit, a lot of times ill say "yeh actually i am" because they expect to hear you disqualify yourself to them and ill turn it around and make them qualify to me, f that shit.

Carlos_E is offline National Level Bodybuilder/Hall of Famer/RETIRED
    If your friends are not fun when sober find new friends. If you have to be drunk to enjoy their company that should tell you something.
    Muscle Asylum Project Athlete

chest6 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlos_E
    If your friends are not fun when sober find new friends. If you have to be drunk to enjoy their company that should tell you something.
    Exactly. Im in college and I dont drink..sure ill still go out..but life doesnt revolve around alcohol..

kloter1 is offline Southern Steel Bodybuilding
    switch to something else

audis4 is offline Eat, Sleep, Lift...Repeat!
    and I did! my "friends" drink almost every night. Didn't mind hangin out with them....until they wouldn't stop pestering me to drink. I would drink jack and coke and pretend to poor the jack in but just drank diet coke . I was like, this is rediculous, so i stopped hangin with them.

Well no, I mean I have a good time going out to lounges/clubs and drinking a little. When I dring believe me its not a whole lot, maybe 2-3 beers and shot or two and im good to go. I also do have fun when im sober 90% of the time not drinking it just is a bit more fun to drink with em as well. Theres a big difference in being plastered and incoherent to good and slightly buzzed.

tonytone is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CoreyTampa09
    Well no, I mean I have a good time going out to lounges/clubs and drinking a little. When I dring believe me its not a whole lot, maybe 2-3 beers and shot or two and im good to go. I also do have fun when im sober 90% of the time not drinking it just is a bit more fun to drink with em as well. Theres a big difference in being plastered and incoherent to good and slightly buzzed.
    yeah, but when i used to drink a lot (in highschool), once you get that slight buzz, you want to keep it going, and then you want more and more....at least i did anyway

I feel you man. It really is hard. Usually I get sort of defensive and throw it back at them like "what dude, you need a drinking buddy, do you want me to hold your dick while you pee too" and that usually shuts them up. I don't worry about it. I know I will get shit. That's what being hardcore is all about. Normal people don't understand and never will.

IronFreakX is offline Banned
    I usually have a beer once or twice a week alone sometimes more, go to this bar sometimes and have a couple of drink but dont get drunk anymore I enjoy myself alot more when Im sober.

Its not the drinking that I mind, as long as you dont over do it ur fine, its drinking with stupid lame people that I do very much mind.

UpstateTank is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Growingpains
    I feel you man. It really is hard. Usually I get sort of defensive and throw it back at them like "what dude, you need a drinking buddy, do you want me to hold your dick while you pee too" and that usually shuts them up. I don't worry about it. I know I will get shit. That's what being hardcore is all about. Normal people don't understand and never will.
    couldnt have put it better myself...tell ur friends to f off and relax...tell them its not the end of the world if you dont drink...works every time for me

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    How come everyone assumes its either not drinking or being drunk? There is a middle ground. You can have a couple drinks and not act like a fool. Maybe its the age difference or the different types of groups we hang out in. But my friends and I go out alot and nobody is ever falling down drunk. Nobody gets sick and does stupid shit they wouldn't do sober.

The key is moderation

Quote Originally Posted by gixxerboy1
    How come everyone assumes its either not drinking or being drunk? There is a middle ground. You can have a couple drinks and not act like a fool. Maybe its the age difference or the different types of groups we hang out in. But my friends and I go out alot and nobody is ever falling down drunk. Nobody gets sick and does stupid shit they wouldn't do sober.

The key is moderation
    Not when you cycle it isn't. You should not drink at all. Save your liver for getting big. Not drunk.

Not when you cycle it isn't. You should not drink at all. Save your liver for getting big. Not drunk.
    I guess me and all my friends who can drink socially and moderately will own have super human livers Most of use get blood work done and none have had a problem. Show some really evidence. Just the scare tactic you'll kill your liver if you drink on cycle is no better then the bs scare tactics the media does to the public.

If you liver or health is that border line that 1 or 2 drinks will hurt you then you shouldn't be taking aas anyway.

Whatever. Why cycle if you want to piss away your gains drinking The two life styles don't mix. If you're not going to take lifting seriously. Why bother cycling.

Whatever. Why cycle if you want to piss away your gains drinking The two life styles don't mix. If you're not going to take lifting seriously. Why bother cycling.
    Whatever? That's your response? Why because i'm right and nobody usually debates you? I know most people take your word on here as law but you need proof to back things up.

What is 2 drinks going to do to your gains? honestly what would that do? At the and of 12 weeks what is that going to effect?

The 2 lifestyles don't mix? Who are you kidding. They pretty much go hand in hand. Most guys who are on or bb's are know for partying? You compete I'm sure you been to the after parties.

UpstateTank is offline Banned
    I guess me and all my friends who can drink socially and moderately will own have super human livers Most of use get blood work done and none have had a problem. Show some really evidence. Just the scare tactic you'll kill your liver if you drink on cycle is no better then the bs scare tactics the media does to the public.

If you liver or health is that border line that 1 or 2 drinks will hurt you then you shouldn't be taking aas anyway.
    id rather be safe than sorry

Quote Originally Posted by UpstateTank
    id rather be safe than sorry
    Which is fine. I don't condemn anyone for making a personal choice. Good for yo and if your happy with that great.

But just don't lecture people who do have a few drinks. Don't make up scary things that will happen to you. If I enjoy a couple drinks with the wife or some friends am I wrong?

I'm still shocked you said that. Do you leave your house? I've been in the fitness industry for years and everything is about looking good and enjoying your self. I've been in pro's homes, after parties, fitness industry trips and cruises and conventions. There are people who don't drink but they are by far the minority. Just because you don't do it doesn't mean that's the way it should be.

I'm not condoning drink but everyone do what you want to do for you. If you want to great if you don't great. Don't let other people talk you in or out of anything.

I'm still shocked you said that. Do you leave your house? I've been in the fitness industry for years and everything is about looking good and enjoying your self. I've been in pro's homes, after parties, fitness industry trips and cruises and conventions.
    I know of NOT ONE competitive bodybuilder who drinks liquor. I could careless what pretty fitness models do on cruises. Not my crowd.

Whatever? That's your response? Why because i'm right and nobody usually debates you? I know most people take your word on here as law but you need proof to back things up.

What is 2 drinks going to do to your gains? honestly what would that do? At the and of 12 weeks what is that going to effect?

The 2 lifestyles don't mix? Who are you kidding. They pretty much go hand in hand. Most guys who are on or bb's are know for partying? You compete I'm sure you been to the after parties.
    I know the crowd and the type. The only reason they cycle is because they piss away their size with drugs and liquor. They go back on cycle just to gain back what they've lost.I've been around the type and I'm over it. Each time I see them they comment how I've gotten bigger. When I see them I think they look exactly the same or worse.

big L 17 is offline Female Member
    ya same here i am in college i was doing so good not drinking last semster summer came and it all went to drinken ever night eatn like shit now i am 11lbs heavier with a beer belly. and i have to start all over and i am kicken my self in the butt for it.

I know of NOT ONE competitive bodybuilder who drinks liquor. I could careless what pretty fitness models do on cruises. Not my crowd.
    Your from NY i see. So I'm assuming you been to NOC and to the stuff that goes on after. Alot competitive body builders have habits a lot worse then liquor.

Why don't you care what fitness models do? Because they are women? You made a comment about this lifestyle. Fitness girls are just as much of this lifestyle as you

I know the crowd and the type. The only reason they cycle is because they piss away their size with drugs and liquor. They go back on cycle just to gain back what they've lost.I've been around the type and I'm over it. Each time I see them they comment how I've gotten bigger. When I see them I think they look exactly the same or worse.
    And still you state no facts. Well I know the crowd too. Its amazing how some of them have their pro card and thats something your aspiring for. And still they piss away all their gains. What a shame.

There is people like you state. But again there is always someone. Your exaggerating the relation between drinking and aas. Its no better than what the media does with the public.

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    my advice to the college kids is this, ENJOY IT!!drink have fun, because after school it is time to work and than the pary is over, what i did was i didnt drink the day before i would train, but the day i would train, if iwasnt lifting the next day, i was out and drinking, schedule your lifting, work around your schedule, beest scenario, try to only drink on the wknds. stay good and eat good during the wk, on the wknds,, go ape shit

Your from NY i see. So I'm assuming you been to NOC and to the stuff that goes on after. Alot competitive body builders have habits a lot worse then liquor.

Why don't you care what fitness models do? Because they are women? You made a comment about this lifestyle. Fitness girls are just as much of this lifestyle as you
    What are you talking about? Fitness models are men to. What do you call the guys in Men's Health and Men's Fitness. They're not bodybuilders.

And still you state no facts. Well I know the crowd too. Its amazing how some of them have their pro card and thats something your aspiring for. And still they piss away all their gains. What a shame.

There is people like you state. But again there is always someone. Your exaggerating the relation between drinking and aas. Its no better than what the media does with the public.
    I'll give you an example. King Kamali. He is one of the biggest partiers and comes in looking like crap year after year. I can name other pros with drug and alcohol habits and they place just as bad. One I know in particular from Jersey kicked his habits and this is the best he's looked in his life.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc.Sust
    my advice to the college kids is this, ENJOY IT!!drink have fun, because after school it is time to work and than the pary is over, what i did was i didnt drink the day before i would train, but the day i would train, if iwasnt lifting the next day, i was out and drinking, schedule your lifting, work around your schedule, beest scenario, try to only drink on the wknds. stay good and eat good during the wk, on the wknds,, go ape shit
    I am 37 years old and anyone who looks at my body or face they say I don't look a day over 30. I did not drink, smoke or do drugs in my 20s and 30s and I had a great time and I have great memories to look back on. The biggest plus, I look 100x better than other guys my age. People are shocked when they tell them how old I am.

I look at guys my age who partied through their 20s and they look 40-50 years old.

Thanks Doc Sust! I mean believe me I dont go out on tuesday and wednesday nights like alot of the kids do here. Usually this is how it goes..sunday I make up double for the 3 or 4 beers I had over the weekend and the diet is strict, Mon-Thurs im strict as can be, and then I decide if im gunnna go out fri or sat, and I just try to keep it clean as possible.

AnabolicAndre is offline Anabolic Member
    Im a senior at a Big university with a campus that has 10+ bars in a 1.5 mile radius.

I see it this way. If Your dedication and will are strong, and you can hold out or withdraw yourself from it go for it.

But mild-moderate drinking once a week is in my eyes benificial. When you take on a workload like I do, have a part-time job, train 5 days a week, and put in so much effort eating right, going out on a saturday night and unwinding is what keeps me sane. I dont go crazy with it, but its a better alternative than dealing with anxiety meds. Or having issues with abuse of rec drugs.

Key to it all is moderation.

I'll give you an example. King Kamali. He is one of the biggest partiers and comes in looking like crap year after year. I can name other pros with drug and alcohol habits and they place just as bad. One I know in particular from Jersey kicked his habits and this is the best he's looked in his life.
    Yes he is an abuser. There is a difference. Telling someone they cant have 1 or 2 drinks because it will hurt their liver of gains is bs. Telling them they cant drink 1 bottle is different. Your making a statement like everyone who has a drink is having 15.

What are you talking about? Fitness models are men to. What do you call the guys in Men's Health and Men's Fitness. They're not bodybuilders.
    I apologize. I was thinking you meant it like the class of competition. Like fitness , figure and so on.

Thread Information