*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member

Life Expectancy.. vs. Desired life-span

How long do you want to live?

Seriously.

All random factors aside.. like scientists being able to reverse aging etc.

In today's current world.. How old would you like to live to?

Honestly? I'm not sure i want to go on past 60.. maybe 70 max

I look at the elderly.. not disrespectfully mind you. I appreciate that they are the pillars of my society: that which has given me the life i can take for granted today etc.

That being said.. I understand that the latter years, as explained by the Developmental Psychology school of thought, are meant for the individual to give back to society: nature/nuturing role (social support: the 'grandparent role' .. teaching etc.

And i'm all for that.. giving back.. teaching what i've accrued over the years.

I just don't think i, given what i see passing for 'life' for the elderly, would want to live past 70

Ok.. that being established.

Say you've reached 70.. with no desire to go further.

You're not unhealthy in the conventional sense.. but not healthy either.

You've exercised all your life.. but at this point of it you cannot for whatever reason. Your body is wracked with pain... but you're a devout christian.. so suicide (even assisted suicide) is out of the question.

Discuss.

QuieTSToRM33 is offline Anabolic Member
    i wanna live as long as possible ....... no doubt about it ........ if i could be immortal i would jump all over it

JohnboyF is offline Banned
    I would honestly try to live as long as i can. Why? Because.. the after life in my religion is very very harsh. I mean if you were not a good muslim. Your punishment starts as soon as the people who buried you leave the site.. exactly 40 steps.. You feel everything i don't think i could handle that. Plus if i live longer i can spend my time praying and clean my hands from the dirt iv done in the past. Eventually we go to heaven but not till after you pay ur dues...

mavsluva is offline "Gone but not forgotten" 10/11/07
    Death is not the end of man. It's simply a transition period from borrowed time to eternity. With that being said, whether I'm 30 years old or 70, I will not be afraid to die.

To specifically answer your question - I'll live as long as I'm asked to live. If my heart's still beating, then I can most likely be a positive influence to at least one person who may need it.

Sage is offline Anabolic Member
    its not good to predict your lifespan, i am superstitious like that.

DARKSEID is offline Senior Member
    I've thought about this quite a few times, and I agree with you Nark. I'm the same mind set looking at older people. I think about 75 would be max for me. But I guess it depends on what side of my family you look at. My dads side, my grandparents were pretty much cripples by 60's, and they're all dead except for grandmother. Nobody really made it past 70's. Moms side is 80's and 90's and they're healthy.

for some strange reason, i don't see myself making it to the age of 40. and do i care...no. if i had kids or a family, i'm sure my views would change. till then, i'm just gonna live life to fullest till the Lord calls me home.

Bojangles69 is offline Banned
    when i was 17 i never thought id make it past 20, now im 24 and dont think ill make it past 30, but i try to be as optimistc as possible, so 25 would be nice.

zipzz is offline Junior Member
    I wanna live til 72

pepperoni is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QuieTSToRM33
    i wanna live as long as possible ....... no doubt about it ........ if i could be immortal i would jump all over it
    you would just start to hate life so much if you were immortal, everyone you knew and loved would be dead. You would be left alone to rebuild all new relationships, you would end up killing yourself.

collar is offline Anabolic Member
    to be honest nothing over 60.

i think it will just be too hard.

Quote Originally Posted by pepperoni
    you would just start to hate life so much if you were immortal, everyone you knew and loved would be dead. You would be left alone to rebuild all new relationships, you would end up killing yourself.
    Agreed

audis4 is offline Eat, Sleep, Lift...Repeat!
    Ya, but since most of us are all in great shape, we should be very mobile at 60+ and plus I'm lookin forward to retirement and spending time golfing and things I enjoy doing

auslifta is offline Retired MONITOR
    my nan is doing really well at 82 better than most 60yo as long as im healthy in my body and my mind, i dont want to suffer or be there for my family to look after me i think that would be selfish.

IronFreakX is offline Banned
    Speak for yourself

I would love being immortal, cant get enough of life.

slob is offline Member
    age doesn't bother me. I don't want to get to a stage where I can't take care of myself. once that happens, i'd prefer to die.

NOREGRETS is offline Senior Member
    60 years or so.

Smak is offline AR's Midget Beater
    I want to live AT LEAST as long as Jesus did which was 32.

Hopefully I'll have accomplished everything I'll have needed by that time.

That gives me 5 good years.

chest6 is offline Banned
    I really haven't given much thought to it. I really wouldn't want to hobble around with a cane or ride the little motorized scooters around..wouldnt wanna get to that point

Mizfit is offline Banned
    65 - i don't wanna be wrinkled and old

NOREGRETS is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizfit
    65 - i don't wanna be wrinkled and old
    wrinkled and old, That face never.

Mizfit is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NOREGRETS
    wrinkled and old, That face never.
    I have investments for retirement - i told my sister to pick them all because the money will be hers.

I really don't mind growing a little old - but i look around and see all the poo older ppl who can barely get around, some have lost their mate and IMO they r just waiting to die.

I don't want that to be me.

I'm sure i'll be married by sometime before then and also the thought of out living my sis is not really thinkkable.

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    If I age the same way as my dad does(he is 82 and except a bad shoulder is as fit as most 30 year olds) then Im all for living as long as I possibly can. If I where to age and become senile I would rather die. I think I could handle living with some kind of constant pain or disability as I get older. But I could never handle losing my mind.

Nah I dont think so. We humans are incredibly shortsighted. Pain passes, there is always something new to think about, spend time with and enjoy. If living can be fun for 70 years I dont se why it cant be fun for 700 years....If you could liver forever you would probably not slow down and wait for dead as old people do.

Hell work for 50 years, be retire for 30-40 years or so and travel around the earth and when you get bored reeducate and work with something new for 50 years. Repeate this until there are new planets to explore if you get bored of moder earth. Its not like we live in a small universe

cj1capp is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojangles69
    when i was 17 i never thought id make it past 20, now im 24 and dont think ill make it past 30, but i try to be as optimistc as possible, so 25 would be nice.
    i had the same type of thinking at 15 i thought id never make 20 at 20 i thought id never make 30. my point is that life keeps on happening and with that type of thing I did not prepare my self for life. this cost me additional time latter to make up for what i neglected. live for the moment prepare for tomorrow.

Prada is offline Anabolic Member
    I cant give a number, we are all mere mortals.
    I believe as long as I have my sanity and health I wouldnt mind living in perpetuity...............of cousre that is just wishful thinking.

Nark what up with these philosophical and artistic threads? Tis a side of Nark I havent really seen before

aadrenaline is offline Banned
    i see people in their 70's and 80's that are socialy active...move around no cane, wheelchair..these are the strong people that is how i would like to be in old age strong motivated..if its just not possible idk what ill do

G-1000 is offline Cycle King/AR-Hall of Famer/RETIRED
    Blog Entries
    To be quit honest no male in my family has lived past 67. So i would be happy with 65 or better. But i hope to extend that by taking better care of my self then they did. As long as i still have my mental health i don’t mind living till I’m 80 or so.

stuball is offline Banned
    Live for the moment you could be hit by a truck tomorrow !!!!!

FLBMWMech is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gsxxr
    To be quit honest no male in my family has lived past 67. So i would be happy with 65 or better. But i hope to extend that by taking better care of my self then they did. As long as i still have my mental health i don’t mind living till I’m 80 or so.
    I don't have my mental health now and I'm in my 20's... So being nuts when I'm 80 wont be tremendously different... I'll just wear my pants higher, eat dinner earlier, and complain alot more

zaggahamma is offline Mr. Moderation
    going out kickin then layin next to ted williams

Mighty Joe is offline Anabolic Member
    As long as I can still F^&k, I don't care if I go to 150 years Old!

thegodfather is offline Dulce bellum inexpertis
    It seems really trivial to me to plan ones life out the way we do. I mean, I know you cant predict the unknown, but a friend of my moms 18 year old son died last week in an auto accident and he had a lot of plans. It just seems like those plans are so meaningless when life can be taken away so quickly. Im kind of perplexed by it all to be honest...

Mighty Joe is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thegodfather
    It seems really trivial to me to plan ones life out the way we do. I mean, I know you cant predict the unknown, but a friend of my moms 18 year old son died last week in an auto accident and he had a lot of plans. It just seems like those plans are so meaningless when life can be taken away so quickly. Im kind of perplexed by it all to be honest...

Best to adopt the "Live everyday, like its your last" mentality! You must eat life or it will eat you!

Quote Originally Posted by audis4
    Ya, but since most of us are all in great shape, we should be very mobile at 60+ and plus I'm lookin forward to retirement and spending time golfing and things I enjoy doing
    I'm not sure this'd apply to me.

I believe the amount of stressors i place my body under daily as a competitive bodybuilder would probably cause retirement to be a very painful time for me.

Look at Elite athletes who age... The majority suffer from chronic arthritis etc.

I think actually people who start exercising later in life have a greater chance of reaping exercise-related benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by auslifta
    my nan is doing really well at 82 better than most 60yo as long as im healthy in my body and my mind, i dont want to suffer or be there for my family to look after me i think that would be selfish.
    That's my thought train as well.

I don't want to be a burden on my family.

I mean.. yes they'll love me.. and yes they'll do it (take care of me) out of love.

But: 1.) They've their own lives, 2.) I don't want to live just for the sake of being alive..that isn't 'living'.

Quote Originally Posted by slob
    age doesn't bother me. I don't want to get to a stage where I can't take care of myself. once that happens, i'd prefer to die.
    Exactly

Quote Originally Posted by Mizfit
    I really don't mind growing a little old - but i look around and see all the poo older ppl who can barely get around, some have lost their mate and IMO they r just waiting to die.

I don't want that to be me.
    Co-signed

Quote Originally Posted by Prada
    I cant give a number, we are all mere mortals.
    I believe as long as I have my sanity and health I wouldnt mind living in perpetuity...............of cousre that is just wishful thinking.

Nark what up with these philosophical and artistic threads? Tis a side of Nark I havent really seen before
    That's Nark the student... the guy i am off the board

Quote Originally Posted by thegodfather
    While i can understand what you're saying TGF, i'm not sure it applies here. I'm sure you can appreciate that i wasn't asking about plans/planning per se... Rather i was inquiring into you guys' personal views on life.. and living. The continuation or cessation of life based on one's views about the meaning of 'life' versus 'living': quality of life vs length of life.. as determining factors

Holla TGF...

and thanks to the other guys who've responded previously

bump

Nark

bump?

QuieTSToRM33 is offline Anabolic Member

during life people that u love and care for die .... its happens to everyone

its not like im not gonna meet new people and get close to them ... so there will be other people that im close with

and how can i kill myself if I am IMMORTAL

I love life bro ... bottom line

paulzane is offline Productive Member
    If I have the health then how old I get doesn't really matter. If I go la la I won't really know about it so hopefully I will not be too much of an a$$hole to the ones I love!!!

Snrf is offline Banned
    I'd hate to be old and senile, like a big baby, needing a diaper and being unable to change it, not knowing what I had for dinner or if I've had it.

I have an agreement with my mom that I'll put an end to her life if she ever gets like that (she's 45 so some time yet if ever). To be honest I think It'd be easier to do that than have to watch a parent become infantilized and in need of constant care.

Thread Information