stuball is offline Banned

Laptop Questions..

Heading down to Florida for the winter months, gonna rent a furnished apt while im lookin for a house to buy, and all im taking is my clothes, leaving everything home in NY, So im looking into buyin a lap top, and i think im gonna pick up the Macbook pro 15.4-inch 2.16ghz intel core duo, any feedback all i hear is great things about Mac....

Quote Originally Posted by stuball
    Heading down to Florida for the winter months, gonna rent a furnished apt while im lookin for a house to buy, and all im taking is my clothes, leaving everything home in NY, So im looking into buyin a lap top, and i think im gonna pick up the Macbook pro 15.4-inch 2.16ghz intel core duo, any feedback all i hear is great things about Mac....
    J/C How many computer geeks on this forum and i cant even get one fvckin response !!!!!! Ever feel people dont like you ????

GUnit33 is offline Member
    Mac Book Pro's are kick ass for sure man. You'll love it. Make sure you install Boot Camp with it though, and get a copy of Windows, just in case you need a program that is only available to use through Windows. Other than that, congrats on the new lappy.

AnabolicAndre is offline Anabolic Member
    I love my MAC BOOK.

Mine came with the ability to run WINDOWS as well

Thanks guys, cant wait !! To move and get the laptop..

Quote Originally Posted by GUnit33
    Mac Book Pro's are kick ass for sure man. You'll love it. Make sure you install Boot Camp with it though, and get a copy of Windows, just in case you need a program that is only available to use through Windows. Other than that, congrats on the new lappy.
    What is boot camp ???

GUnit33 is offline Member
    What is boot camp ???
    It's a dual load software...it's written by Apple, it basically gives you the decision to boot up in Windows or Mac OSX, and also allows you to switch between the two while in one another.

Quote Originally Posted by GUnit33
    It's a dual load software...it's written by Apple, it basically gives you the decision to boot up in Windows or Mac OSX, and also allows you to switch between the two while in one another.
    Cool, Thanks Bro...

DNoMac is offline Senior Member
    I've got the iBook G4, so it's a bit older. I love it, no viruses to worry about like Pc's. Compatibility can be a pain in the ass, but if you've got the dual OS, your golden. Thats the only problem I have with it. Other than that, I've only had one hardware issue (my logic board went bad and I had to pay a flat rate of $300 to fix it). I guess the only advice I'd give is get the warranty for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by DNoMac
    I've got the iBook G4, so it's a bit older. I love it, no viruses to worry about like Pc's. Compatibility can be a pain in the ass, but if you've got the dual OS, your golden. Thats the only problem I have with it. Other than that, I've only had one hardware issue (my logic board went bad and I had to pay a flat rate of $300 to fix it). I guess the only advice I'd give is get the warranty for sure.
    Yeh, im gonna get the works plus my friend gets a 400 dollar discount..

cfiler is offline Anabolic Member
    The new intel chips in the Mac look good. With the dual boot, there isn't really a reason why not to get one.

I'd get one. I'm not a big fan of Mac OS X, but the ability to boot into XP or OSX definately would sell me on a Mac.

cfiler is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DNoMac
    There are still virus's out there for Mac OSX. Tiger specifically has a number of virus's, but hackers generally don't waste their time writing a virus for only a few Mac users, when they can hit a much larger number of XP users.

Carlos_E is offline National Level Bodybuilder/Hall of Famer/RETIRED
    Quote Originally Posted by cfiler
    There are still virus's out there for Mac OSX. Tiger specifically has a number of virus
    It does not. Says who?

I work in IT and we NEVER EVER have had a virus outbreak on our Macs.
    Muscle Asylum Project Athlete

I have a 17" MacBook Pro and I love it. I'm thinking about getting a MacMini as a second computer. Probably wait till 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos_E
    I have a 17" MacBook Pro and I love it. I'm thinking about getting a MacMini as a second computer. Probably wait till 2007.
    Yeah the mini is pretty cool.. My friend has a Mac and i fell in love with it.. Cant wait...

Psychotron is offline Anabolic Member
    No thanks, I have to view things in practical terms, I would rather by a laptop and install Fedora then spend that much money for Mac OS X. That's all youre really paying for, OS X. That and I dislike not having two mouse buttons and the keyboard makes me want to smash them.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotron
    No thanks, I have to view things in practical terms, I would rather by a laptop and install Fedora then spend that much money for Mac OS X. That's all youre really paying for, OS X. That and I dislike not having two mouse buttons and the keyboard makes me want to smash them.
    Macs have shipped with 2 button mice for the past 2 years. When was the last time you checked Mac prices? Macs are the same price and cost less than PCs . If you configure a Dell or other PC with the same specs as a Mac, Macs are cheaper. Go to Dell's web site and try it.

The left, right and scroll wheel buttons are touch sensitive. (No moving parts that can break) I guess you saw this and assumed it only had one button. There's a total of 5 buttons. 2 touch sensitive buttons on the side. The scroll wheel cans scroll 4 ways.

Psychotron is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlos_E
    Macs have shipped with 2 button mice for the past 2 years. When was the last time you checked Mac prices? Macs are the same price and cost less than PCs . If you configure a Dell or other PC with the same specs as a Mac, Macs are cheaper. Go to Dell's web site and try it.

The left, right and scroll wheel buttons are touch sensitive. (No moving parts that can break) I guess you saw this and assumed it only had one button. There's a total of 5 buttons. 2 touch sensitive buttons on the side. The scroll wheel cans scroll 4 ways.
    Everytime I have ever configured a notebook with Dell it has always been cheaper.

Everytime I have ever configured a notebook with Dell it has always been cheaper.
    Dont have the time to start trickin out a lap top i'll keep it simple and just spend the money...

When was the last time? Have you tried it since Apple switched to the Intel chip? Now you can pick the exact same processor and desktop or laptop configuration and you see Macs are priced competitively and in some cases cheaper

Stuball how soon do you plan to buy? I've read on rumor sites that upgraded models will come out before end of November. If you're not in a hurry I'd wait just in case.

xlxBigSexyxlx is offline CHEMICALLY ENGINEERED
    Blog Entries
    Arent Dell's cheaper than macbook pros, but macbook pros are the top of the line notebooks....way better than dell IMO.

New MacBook Pros came out today. 40% faster than previous models, same price.

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/

All new MacBook Pro models now offer double the memory and greater storage capacity than the previous generation, as well as a FireWire 800 port for connecting to high-speed peripherals.

The new MacBook Pro's lightweight, aluminum enclosure is just one-inch thin, available in 15- and 17-inch models, and features a built-in iSight video camera for video conferencing on-the-go.

"With an Intel Core 2 Duo processor, greater storage capacity and FireWire 800 connectivity, the new MacBook Pro delivers unprecedented performance and mobility in an incredibly thin and light design," said Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. "We are thrilled that our notebook sales are growing twice as fast as the overall notebook market, and we hope these new MacBook Pro models continue that success."

The MacBook Pros' Intel Core 2 Duo processor offers 4MB of shared L2 cache, which is up to 39 percent faster than the previous 2.16 GHz MacBook Pro and more than seven times faster than the 1.67 GHz PowerBook G4 running industry standard benchmarks, Apple said. Additionally, it has enhanced Mac OS X to take advantage of the technology advances from Intel's Core 2 Duo processors, resulting in increased performance in professional applications like Aperture 1.5, Final Cut Pro 5 and Logic Pro 7.

An ideal fit for business and creative professionals, MacBook Pro delivers advanced performance including 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM memory expandable up to 3GB, ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 graphics with up to 256MB of dedicated GDDR3 graphics memory, and a double-layer SuperDrive for burning professional-quality DVDs.

Every new MacBook Pro also includes built-in 10/100/1000 BASE-T Gigabit Ethernet for high-speed networking, built-in AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth 2.0+EDR (Enhanced Data Rate), a FireWire 800 and a FireWire 400 port, combination analog and optical digital audio input and output ports, an ExpressCard/34 expansion card slot, and a DVI video output to connect up to a 30-inch Apple Cinema HD Display.

Like their predecessors, the new Intel-based notebooks come with Apple's MagSafe Power Adapter that magnetically couples the power cord to the MacBook Pro and safely disconnects when there is strain on the power cord, preventing the notebook from falling off its work surface. Additionally, Apple now offers a new MagSafe Airline Adapter that makes using the MacBook Pro on an airplane even more convenient by connecting to in-seat power ports for continued productivity throughout the duration of a flight.

Other standard features of the new notebook line include an illuminated keyboard, Apple's Sudden Motion Sensor that is designed to protect the hard drive in case of a fall, and a Scrolling TrackPad to easily scroll through long web pages or pan across large photographs.

Each model comes with iLife '06, the next generation of Apple's award-winning suite of digital lifestyle applications featuring iPhoto, iMovie HD, iDVD, GarageBand and iWeb, the latest iLife application that makes it super-easy to create amazing websites with photos, blogs and podcasts and publish them on .Mac for viewing by anyone on the Internet with just a single click.

Every MacBook Pro also comes with the latest release of the world's most advanced operating system, Mac OS X version 10.4.8 Tiger including Safari, Mail, iCal, iChat AV, Front Row and Photo Booth, running natively on the Intel-based notebook.

15" MacBook Pro, 2.16GHz, 1GB, 120GB HD, $1999.
    15" MacBook Pro, 2.33GHz, 2GB, 120GB HD, $2499.
    17" MacBook Pro, 2.33GHz, 2GB, 160GB HD, $2799.

zimmy is offline Anabolic Member
    J/C How many computer geeks on this forum and i cant even get one fvckin response !!!!!! Ever feel people dont like you ????

thaz cus no self respecting computer geek would go over to the dark side of "mac" :P

Thread Information