Terinox is offline The One & Only

Question About Grad School...

Howdy,

For those of you who are in University, or are familiar with the post-secondary process, I had a question.

If you get your (H)B.A. or a (H)B.Sc. from college/university, and then which to go to graduate school, can you actually apply to any program in graduate school? Does it have to be exactly the same field? Like if you majored in Psychology at University, then you can only study Psyc. in graduate school?

I had heard of people getting a B.A. and then going into MEDICAL SCHOOL, even though they did not major in Biology or some sh#t like that.

Could someone please clear this up, I looked online for some info, but it's more vague, and talks mainly about HOW to get into grad school, but nothing about what you're allowed to take and how the system itself works in terms of admissions.

Thanks,
    T.

audis4 is offline Eat, Sleep, Lift...Repeat!
    wow you've been here for a while!
    I am majoring with a B.S. in business and getting my chemistry minor. Plans are pre-dent.
    Depending on the school, check to see the class requirements etc. and talk to your advisor.

Fat Guy is offline Senior Member
    You can get a BA/ BS in anything you want and then you can go to any kind graduate program you would like as long as you have all the prerequisite requirements fulfilled. I know of many people who received there BA in one thing and did post graduate work in another. For example one of my bosses had a BA in Political Science, MA in Business (MBA) and a PhD. in Education.

CSAR is offline AR's Cunning Linguist
    My B.S. was pre med...my M.A. and Ph.D. were both in applied linguistics. It depends on the program requirements. Some will require that certain prereq's have been met, but a lot of programs will let you make up those prereq's after you've been accepted. Just do your research into the program which you're interested in. If possible, physically visit their office and introduce yourself. You can ask questions then and get direct feedback. A smiling face is ALWAYS remembered over a phone call IMO.

salmon1 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CSAR
    My B.S. was pre med...my M.A. and Ph.D. were both in applied linguistics. It depends on the program requirements. Some will require that certain prereq's have been met, but a lot of programs will let you make up those prereq's after you've been accepted. Just do your research into the program which you're interested in. If possible, physically visit their office and introduce yourself. You can ask questions then and get direct feedback. A smiling face is ALWAYS remembered over a phone call IMO.
    what are you doing now with that Ph.D.? just wondering

Quote Originally Posted by salmon1
    what are you doing now with that Ph.D.? just wondering
    Teaching at a Japanese university in Tokyo. Work for 6 months, get paid for 12!!

Thats awsome man, how is life over there in Japan. I wish I still had my old sneaker hobby as sneakers in Japan are huge.

jobyjoe is offline Associate Member
    Yeah you don't need to go into the field you have your BA in. My best friend majored in journalism, and is grad school for buisness (he had to take some extra classes though). I am in med school, and some of my classmates majored in things other then biology, chemistry, biochem, etc. I think one girl was a music major, and one guy was a history major. If you are going to go to gradschool you have to take certain prereq classes to be accepted. Like for med school you had to bio, chem, organic, physics, and english. If you take thoes courses, no matter what your major is, you can apply to med school.

Quote Originally Posted by CoreyTampa09
    Thats awsome man, how is life over there in Japan. I wish I still had my old sneaker hobby as sneakers in Japan are huge.
    Well, I can't say it's all bad, but it ain't like life in the States. For all their talk about being "International", Tokyo is anything but.

Sneakers aren't "in" right now, but the Japanese change their tastes every month or so. Should come back around though, so keep those sneakers handy on ebay!!

Terinox is offline The One & Only
    Okay guys, thanks for the help and advice and clearing that up for me.

stunner5000pt is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Terinox
    Howdy,

For those of you who are in University, or are familiar with the post-secondary process, I had a question.

If you get your (H)B.A. or a (H)B.Sc. from college/university, and then which to go to graduate school, can you actually apply to any program in graduate school? Does it have to be exactly the same field? Like if you majored in Psychology at University, then you can only study Psyc. in graduate school?

I had heard of people getting a B.A. and then going into MEDICAL SCHOOL, even though they did not major in Biology or some sh#t like that.

Could someone please clear this up, I looked online for some info, but it's more vague, and talks mainly about HOW to get into grad school, but nothing about what you're allowed to take and how the system itself works in terms of admissions.

Thanks,
    T.

i think it is very dependant on the type of program you are doing.

like say you wanted to do a grad program on physics then you would need the proper prerequisities

but i think other fields may not need prereqs

Tesla is offline Member
    My undergrad is a BS in sociology. I went on to earn an MBA. Like the others said, as long as you have your pre-requisites, you're good.

AnabolicAndre is offline Anabolic Member
    My undergrad as off may 07' will be sports medicine and REHAB

Prada is offline Anabolic Member
    Every school has different prerequisites, also will have to mass a GMAT exam for graduate business school. Yes, it is proven getting your degree in a better schoolwill lead to a higher mean salary

juicejunkie2 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Prada
    Every school has different prerequisites, also will have to mass a GMAT exam for graduate business school. Yes, it is proven getting your degree in a better schoolwill lead to a higher mean salary
    100% agree.... funny thing is most people, even the CEOs etc equate "better school" with better football programs (I know it sounds like BS but ask yourself how many schools you know of besides the Ivy leagues or the schools where you know someone other then the schools with awesome ball programs). Not saying you should pick one based on that but I figured that I'd share something a human resources guy told me once.

Thread Information