Thread: Is it selfish

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~

Is it selfish

I was just surprised how much extra money some of the guys spend on food and sups. If you have a family is it selfish to spend that much extra money on your hobby. I know guys are going to get mad i said its a hobby. But for a small few its something you are never going to compete or make money at so i would consider it a hobby. I mean extra hundred of dollars that could go to a better home or college fund spent because we want to look bigger.

perfectbeast2001 is offline "king of free stuff" / Retired
    I think it is selfish. It is a selfish sport that totally immerses you. I constantly think only of myself and am totally focused on diet, training at the cost of my home life. Luckily I have a very understanding family. I work extra hours to pay for my gear and it never affects household budget (i give that to my missis first).

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gixxerboy1
    I was just surprised how much extra money some of the guys spend on food and sups. If you have a family is it selfish to spend that much extra money on your hobby. I know guys are going to get mad i said its a hobby. But for a small few its something you are never going to compete or make money at so i would consider it a hobby. I mean extra hundred of dollars that could go to a better home or college fund spent because we want to look bigger.
    For me family would come first(don't have one yet). If i can provide for everyone in the house then have extra money left over i say go all out. I can understanding giving up a new car or "toys" but i could never take away from my kids for something that i want. Maybe this will change when i am a dad but i hope it doesnt.

Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life
    For me family would come first(don't have one yet). If i can provide for everyone in the house then have extra money left over i say go all out. I can understanding giving up a new car or "toys" but i could never take away from my kids for something that i want. Maybe this will change when i am a dad but i hope it doesnt.
    I'm kid of mixed on this. Granted i think you need to do something for yourself to keep you happy and sane. But how much is to much? But is there ever extra money when you have kids? Granted there is money left over after bills but the kids are going to have college some day. So if that extra money was put toward that when they are little that would make a good dent.

Mizfit is offline Banned
    i think its selfish if your family goes without

Quote Originally Posted by Mizfit
    i think its selfish if your family goes without
    I know my step daughter always wants something same as my niece and nephews. Most parents aren't going to buy them a new game for x box just because they ask. And they are $60. Is it OK for the parent to turn and go spend $100 on protein powder later?

Mizfit is offline Banned
    I know my step daughter always wants something same as my niece and nephews. Most parents aren't going to buy them a new game for x box just because they ask. And they are $60. Is it OK for the parent to turn and go spend $100 on protein powder later?
    Also with kids appearance and what they have means so much for how they appeal to friends - it suks but it's true.

So if someone is giving their cihldrne only the bare essentials to compesate for their supplemntation - Yes this is wrong

LBT
    LBT is offline Associate Member
    If your family has to struggle because of something that you could survive without, then yes.

notorious_mem is offline Senior Member
    im lucky enough to have a decent job but i still live paycheck to paycheck.(thanks to trying to get my wife graduated from dental school)but i saved from a couple paychecks to get my latest supps.and i agree with you and beast its completely a hobby and its a very selfish hobby.

G-1000 is offline Cycle King/AR-Hall of Famer/RETIRED
    Blog Entries
    This is why i dont wont a family

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gsxxr
    I hope you are not serious. I would hands down give all this up for my family in the blink of an eye and i don't even have one yet ! I guess different things are more important to others.

This is why i don't wont a family
    Because of Body Building? Thats surprising i couldn't imagine picking any hobby or sport over my girl. No offense but i cant imagine it being healthy for 1 thing to consume so much of your life. But if your happy good for you I just hope nothing ever happens were you cant lift and you are left alone

Buying them new stuff just because they want it or as mizfit said because they want to look good to there friends teaches them to be spoilt little brats. I have to work damn hard to earn extra money for my gear. If my kid wants something I will help him out but I expect him to work damn hard with chores to earn it. While my kid is laying on the sofa with a bowl of unhealthy crap watching MTV I am at the gym busting my ass to develop my body. I have offered him extra sports clubs and good diet food like mine but he is too lazy to do it.
    So he goes without and I am running GH. It's called tough love.

Mizfit is offline Banned
    I agree with u..

Mizfit is offline Banned
    Because of Body Building? Thats surprising i couldn't imagine picking any hobby or sport over my girl. No offense but i cant imagine it being healthy for 1 thing to consume so much of your life. But if your happy good for you I just hope nothing ever happens were you cant lift and you are left alone
    I think he is refering more to sarcifices.. not just body building but when u have kids - it's a life long commitment to sacrifices.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by perfectbeast2001
    Buying them new stuff just because they want it or as mizfit said because they want to look good to there friends teaches them to be spoilt little brats. I have to work damn hard to earn extra money for my gear. If my kid wants something I will help him out but I expect him to work damn hard with chores to earn it. While my kid is laying on the sofa with a bowl of unhealthy crap watching MTV I am at the gym busting my ass to develop my body. I have offered him extra sports clubs and good diet food like mine but he is too lazy to do it.
    See i think that is fair. Tell your kids if they do their chores for the week you will give them 10-15 bucks. After 3 weeks they will be able to buy the game and you would have had enough time to come up with some extra cash. At the same time you teach them how to earn their money, save it and later on they will learn how to spend it on more imporant things.

Quote Originally Posted by perfectbeast2001
    i do agree with you but you are proving my point too. I think it depends on the kids age for what you said. But you said you wouldn't buy the kid something just so he could look good to his friends. But buying gear and sups. Is really the same thing. Your buying stuff to make you look better on the outside. Also i understand that fact that someone works hard at work for there money. But as for busting our ass in the gym. Thats our choice and hobby. So i don't that should reflect on the kid being a kid and not being lazy

Blog Entries
    i do agree with you but you are proving my point too. I think it depends on the kids age for what you said. But you said you wouldn't buy the kid something just so he could look good to his friends. But buying gear and sups. Is really the same thing. Your buying stuff to make you look better on the outside. Also i understand that fact that someone works hard at work for there money. But as for busting our ass in the gym. Thats our choice and hobby. So i don't that should reflect on the kid being a kid and not being lazy
    Very good points.

Very good points.
    I do it also. My girl has a 3 year old. And Any time we are in a store she wants something. She's 3 We usually buy it for her. But sometimes I think why are we buying her more shit just to get it for her. But I've been thinking nobody bitches when i spend 600 on gh or what ever. So why am i complaining on spending $40 on a little girl. i feel like a dick now.

Blog Entries
    I do it also. My girl has a 3 year old. And Any time we are in a store she wants something. She's 3 We usually buy it for her. But sometimes I think why are we buying her more shit just to get it for her. But I've been thinking nobody bitches when i spend 600 on gh or what ever. So why am i complaining on spending $40 on a little girl. i feel like a dick now.
    I think it is normal to want to give kids everything. We(adults) know its only material items but when you see that smile on their face and hear their laughter i am sure the 40 bucks doesn't mean $hit anymore. The hard part is knowing where to draw the line.

Blog Entries
    I hope you are not serious. I would hands down give all this up for my family in the blink of an eye and i don't even have one yet ! I guess different things are more important to others.
    Wow bro yes i am 100% serious. I do not wish to have a family. Why do yyou feel there is a problem with that?

Blog Entries
    No not just because of BB. I have a shit lod of resons that make sense to me.

Blog Entries
    Wow bro yes i am 100% serious. I do not wish to have a family. Why do yyou feel there is a problem with that?
    Its not a problem at all.

Some people want a family and some don't. I took it for granted that you wanted a family but gave that up for gear and i was wrong.

lazaro17 is offline Banned
    I do both Gixxer,

I make sure my family has everything they need and most of what they want, and I also treat/indulge myself .. I dont get everything I want so either do they but we all got what we need, roof ,food, clothes,love, health etc..

keep it balanced between them the best you can and it should be alright ..

sometimes you will have to go without in order to do for others, but then sometimes others have to do without order to do for you ..

Take care

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizfit
    I think he is refering more to sarcifices.. not just body building but when u have kids - it's a life long commitment to sacrifices.
    Dam Miz get out of my head.

Blog Entries
    This is whay everyone is diffrent.

Blog Entries
    Dam Miz get out of my head.
    and get into mine !

Well I think this is a very good thread. It's a very interesting subject. It has given me food for thought.

I started it because my girl and i got into an argument in a store last night. My girl loves shoes and sneakers. But she doesn't buy real expensive stuff. So she also passes it on to her daughter. She loves getting her little boots, sandals, and what ever. So we were in a store and she was looking at sneakers for her daughter. So she asked me what ti think. I said your going to buy another pair? Mind you that she has new stuff still in the box at home. And she is 3 so she grows out of the fast. So she got mad that i was being cheap and who cares they aren't expensive. So thats why i was thinking about this. Nobody complains when i bought 5 gh kits. I could have bought how many pair of shoes for her daughter for that much money

No not just because of BB. I have a shit lod of resons that make sense to me.
    Sorry i assumed it was BB. I used to feel the exact same way till i meet this girl. Who knows? As long as your happy

rodge is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    we all know that our life style is expensive, certainly in my case with being on year round (hgh/test) plus my cycles are dosed quite high and we consume enormous amounts of food and suplements. but my wife has a horse wich is her hobby and i must say also an expensiv one. but we both agree that it may never lead to not be able to give what our litle girl needs or want (with in reason offcourse). we are saving for her study so that thats taken care off. and sure we must make compromises to what is spend money on, like we want a new car but i also want to do a show next year. so then we honostly discuss on what to do and how much money is available for contest prep (car has to wait ). but in all honesty i have to admit i feel quilty sometimes on how much $$$ i put into my hobby/lifestyle. thankfully my duaghter is at a age (1) that she is happiest the most with a lot of attention and thats what she get from both of us in abundance

-rodge

Thread Information