Mizfit is offline Banned

Question work place situation

I am in a position where I am not management but I am not at the end of the totem poll either – kinda stuck in the middle.

It’s a difficult place to be in because I have to listen to my coworkers gripe, but in some respects I owe it to management to report some of the nonsense that I hear. (One of the girls complains a lot about what the VP does with his time while at work – even says she is going to Hr, yet she does nothing some days. – The pot calling the kettle black.

Anyhow has any of u been in this position and if so, what did u do? So far I have gently warned the VP.. but I’m really feeling stuck lately..

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizfit
    I am in a position where I am not management but I am not at the end of the totem poll either – kinda stuck in the middle.

It’s a difficult place to be in because I have to listen to my coworkers gripe, but in some respects I owe it to management to report some of the nonsense that I hear. (One of the girls complains a lot about what the VP does with his time while at work – even says she is going to Hr, yet she does nothing some days. – The pot calling the kettle black.

Anyhow has any of u been in this position and if so, what did u do? So far I have gently warned the VP.. but I’m really feeling stuck lately..
    I think it depends what future you want. If you want to make management i would keep up what your doing and side with them. But if you what to remain where you are at. Your coworkers will hate you if they find out your telling on them.

ginkobulloba is offline Senior Member
    What do you have to gain by being the snitch? Ask yourself that question.

Mizfit is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gixxerboy1
    I think it depends what future you want. If you want to make management i would keep up what your doing and side with them. But if you what to remain where you are at. Your coworkers will hate you if they find out your telling on them.
    i'm not just going right out and telling exactly.

i'm being nice - lets call one of them dummy and the other one smarter.

The dummy keeps complaining - i try to guide her in the right direction about choosing your battles and to not bark up the wrong tree etc - she just doesn't get it.

Smarter is on the program - she seems to get it.

Mizfit is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ginkobulloba
    What do you have to gain by being the snitch? Ask yourself that question.
    I work for a japanese company.

Respect, work ethic and problem solving are very important. The dummy complains to other depts about what is going on,says disrecpectful things about the VP, and is constantly trying to challenge the infrastructre within the groups.

She also takes matters in her own hands at times, which further complicates things. We have an hierarchy - each dept is ike a silo. I can not go to another dept and speak to the head person, i must speak to the person on the same level as me and that person will give thier VP the message - Do you follow?

ginkobulloba is offline Senior Member
    Well, then it sounds like dummy is digging her own grave. Can you position yourself to where if and when she fcks up you get some glory ie. her position? This is a matter to be handled carefully since we are talking about POWER here. Does this bitch have a plan? Is there a method behind her tactics? Or is she just an idiot? If she's just an idiot, then people will take notice in due time. If you want to get some recognition or advancement or what have you, then you'd better have one. Don't act on impulse because most likely that will be the wrong move. I mean, what is your motivation for getting involved here?

If it is to preserve some kind of workplace ethic, I don't buy it. Has to be more to this than just that. You're not Japanese, you're Canadian so I don't know why this is so important to you.

Even if you speak to someone about this, what is the most likely outcome? Again, let's get back to the basic question...what's in it for you? If you can take this ho's job and have a plan to do so, then execute it. Otherwise, I don't quite understand your desire to stir things up.

Mizfit is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ginkobulloba
    Well, then it sounds like dummy is digging her own grave. Can you position yourself to where if and when she fcks up you get some glory ie. her position? This is a matter to be handled carefully since we are talking about POWER here. Does this bitch have a plan? Is there a method behind her tactics? Or is she just an idiot? If she's just an idiot, then people will take notice in due time. If you want to get some recognition or advancement or what have you, then you'd better have one. Don't act on impulse because most likely that will be the wrong move. I mean, what is your motivation for getting involved here?

If it is to preserve some kind of workplace ethic, I don't buy it. Has to be more to this than just that. You're not Japanese, you're Canadian so I don't know why this is so important to you.

Even if you speak to someone about this, what is the most likely outcome? Again, let's get back to the basic question...what's in it for you? If you can take this ho's job and have a plan to do so, then execute it. Otherwise, I don't quite understand your desire to stir things up.
    Shes lower than me so no glory. I am postioning it so it looks like it has been reported by others.

Impulse no.. all my moves r calculated - i won't ge tmyself caught in anothers grave.

What's important is beleive it or not i take my work seriously and her bad mouthing our group in effect brings down the intergredity. She does it intenrally and to external suppliers and vendors.

biglouie250 is offline Anabolic Member
    wait so the VP does nothing? you are gonna complain about the VP or the co-worker basjing the VP? im confused.

biglouie250 is offline Anabolic Member
    wait so the VP does nothing? you are gonna complain about the VP or the co-worker basjing the VP? im confused.

Mizfit is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by biglouie250
    She complains about our boss and the VP and tells people inside and outside the company her biased opinion of what they do and how they r.

Phreak101 is offline Anabolic Member

International business can be tricky. In my experience with the Japanese, causing a higher up such as a VP to lose face in front of his superior by complaining about something that is simply hearsay can be a VERY big deal, as the execs are not only bosses, they are the "masters" of the company. The heirarchy is taken very seriously. To complain on behalf of a girl that is probably considered expendable when what this VP does with his time has no effect on your productivity is probably not a good idea....

Just my 2c's

Mizfit is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Phreak101
    International business can be tricky. In my experience with the Japanese, causing a higher up such as a VP to lose face in front of his superior by complaining about something that is simply hearsay can be a VERY big deal, as the execs are not only bosses, they are the "masters" of the company. The heirarchy is taken very seriously. To complain on behalf of a girl that is probably considered expendable when what this VP does with his time has no effect on your productivity is probably not a good idea....

Just my 2c's
    wow u get it

wow u get it
    You seem to as well, let me know how it works out. I took numerous classes in Int'l business b/c I wanted to teach/work in Japan, so hit me up if you need some advice

Mizfit is offline Banned
    basically respect honor r big deals.- by not saying anything, in some ways i am just as bad.

basically respect honor r big deals.- by not saying anything, in some ways i am just as bad.
    Do you have driect business relationships with this VP? IF you absolutely need to say something to this guy, it is essential that it be done after hours so that you will not be seen as a disturbance at work...

Im assuming the VP is Japanese?

Mizfit is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Phreak101
    Do you have driect business relationships with this VP? IF you absolutely need to say something to this guy, it is essential that it be done after hours so that you will not be seen as a disturbance at work...

Im assuming the VP is Japanese?
    He is my VP too - so yes i do.

Me and dummy both work for him

GUnit33 is offline Member
    this is why I switched companies...I worked in sales and our store was decreasing with traffic each month. Me and the other associates would go out into the public and try and get some customers and such...and write letters/postcards do door hangers, all that stuff...to no avail. Finally I went to management and said they need to help us out. Our location sucks and we need to do something to help us out, or at least give us a pay bump so that we are making enough money in accordance to the rest of the company who works at higher traffic locations. They didn't do shit, so I jumped ship and actually got a management job because of my interview. I'm happy now, so whatever.

He is my VP too - so yes i do.

Me and dummy both work for him
    Well in that case yeah, I would discuss it with him after work. The work persona of a Japanese person varies greatly depending on if they are at work or not at work. You may see a completely different side of him when he is not working, as the Japanese tend to save their opinions about certain business topics for when they are not in earshot of other people at work. Work is like a battle to these people, and when in battle, there is no f'in around. After battle, all is fair game.

Good luck Miz.

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    you feel stuck because you don't know where your loyalties lay... is it with the future and the company, or with people who have jobs there.. ??

i would have a talk with management about your career path, and make your decissions from there..
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

Mizfit is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by spywizard
    you feel stuck because you don't know where your loyalties lay... is it with the future and the company, or with people who have jobs there.. ??

i would have a talk with management about your career path, and make your decissions from there..
    I already had the conversation with the VP.

I've tried talking to the other woman too many times and she doesn't get it. you can only do so much to help someone till u gotta just do what has to be done.

Shes green, graduated a year ago, and has that i can change the man idealisms.

I actually didn't realize till today they had considered firing her amonth ago.

We'll see review time is november

Thread Information