Bojangles69 is offline Banned

***king horseshyt!!!!

So school contacts me and thier like we have to put a block on your registration
    because you never got a physical. Im like great I'll go get one than.

I go to the doc and Im telling him about my past (speed history) Tell him I work out 5 days a week and run almost everyday now. Hes taking my bp and makes a funny face. He like Im gonna take your bp again.

150/90!!! He said my bp is extremely high for my age. Than they did an EKG to make sure I had no heart damage.
    So he put me on toprol xl and he wants to get it down before we send the paper work to school.

Before he even prescribed the meds I was telling him about how Ive been real anxious lately and I have a serious problem giving speeches.

He said toprol is actually a beta blocker too which inhibits adrenaline and is suppose to reduce anxiety.

I know shit about beta blockers. Is anyone here on toprol and can you tell me what you think of it?

Also Im getting a full blood test done, do they check for drugs with a blood test because I did (and i am NOT turning this into a rec drug thread) smoke a little pot last time a drank like a month ago. I've pretty much sworn off alcohol since because It was a horrible night.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Is this bad to be taking bp meds at 24? I feel like im 80 ys/old

FranKieC is offline "AR's Pretty Boy"
    How much speed were ya doing?

Schmidty is offline Test Is Best!
    I use to do alot of speed and now i got HBP but not that bad damn. But you do NOT need to worry about them finding bud in your system brcause it is out in like 2-3 weeks i think

kihop is offline Associate Member
    How many milligrams of Toprol XL does he have you on?
    I was in the same situation a few years back, but I had been under a lot of stress and had been drinking a lot so my BP was crazy high.

I got a second opinion a few months later, got another EKG and a stress test and the new doc thought that toprol is too strong (100 mg ED). So he prescibed me with another med called Coreg which is suppoed to be a combination of beta-blocker/alpha-inhibitor which lowers BP and strenthens theart without the fatigue sides of toprol.

Probably just stress from school. Does high BP run in your family?
    Get a second opnion, but definitely keep it under control with meds.

l2elapse is offline That don't kill me, can only make me stronger
    Quote Originally Posted by kihop
    I was in the same situation a few years back, but I had been under a lot of stress and had been drinking a lot so my BP was crazy high.

I got a second opinion a few months later, got another EKG and a stress test and the new doc thought that toprol is too strong (100 mg ED). So he prescibed me with another med called Coreg which is suppoed to be a combination of beta-blocker/alpha-inhibitor which lowers BP and strenthens theart without the fatigue sides of toprol.

i agree, many situations can raise blood pressure.

Mobligator is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojangles69
    So school contacts me and thier like we have to put a block on your registration
    because you never got a physical. Im like great I'll go get one than.

I go to the doc and Im telling him about my past (speed history) Tell him I work out 5 days a week and run almost everyday now. Hes taking my bp and makes a funny face. He like Im gonna take your bp again.

150/90!!! He said my bp is extremely high for my age. Than they did an EKG to make sure I had no heart damage.
    So he put me on toprol xl and he wants to get it down before we send the paper work to school.

Before he even prescribed the meds I was telling him about how Ive been real anxious lately and I have a serious problem giving speeches.

He said toprol is actually a beta blocker too which inhibits adrenaline and is suppose to reduce anxiety.

I know shit about beta blockers. Is anyone here on toprol and can you tell me what you think of it?

Also Im getting a full blood test done, do they check for drugs with a blood test because I did (and i am NOT turning this into a rec drug thread) smoke a little pot last time a drank like a month ago. I've pretty much sworn off alcohol since because It was a horrible night.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Is this bad to be taking bp meds at 24? I feel like im 80 ys/old
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I'm not surprised the doc was alarmed over your BP. It's much higher than mine @ 130/80 and I'm 3 times your age. I've never taken beta blockers but in the PDR it states it is not known exactly how they work. However I do take Hytrin, (terazosin) for BPH but it also lowers BP without any side effects.
    Beta blockers can be found on Google with over 6 million hits but I think the one found in the Wikipedia Encyclopedia explains it the best and is easy to understand. Below is an excerpt and site address.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beta_blocker

Excerpt:
    Beta blockers (sometimes written as β-blockers) are a class of drugs used for various indications, but particularly for the management of cardiac arrhythmias and cardioprotection after myocardial infarction. Whilst once first-line treatment for hypertension, their role was downgraded in June 2006 in the United Kingdom to fourth-line as they perform less well than other drugs, particularly in the elderly, and there is increasing evidence that the most frequently used beta-blockers at usual doses carry an unacceptable risk of provoking type 2 diabetes.[1]

Beta blockers may also be referred to as beta-adrenergic blocking agents, beta-adrenergic antagonists, or beta antagonists.

P.S. good advice from Kihop since he's taken toprol and do get a second opinion.
    Last edited by Mobligator; 10-30-2006 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Add PS

bullshit, ****ing BULLSHIT!!! 150/90 is a tad high for a distolic pressure, but your systolic is average. Many factors can contribute to a higher blood pressure such as lack of sleep, anxiety, diet, etc. What this Dr. is doing is sucking blood out of your wallet or your insurance and ****ing you in the ass for everything your worth. 150/90 is nothing to lose sleep over bro, just try to eat better and do some cardio, you can get that down easy enough on your own, the medication will help some, but it's not like you have to have it. The least he could have done was cleared you for registration and just gave you the ****ing prescription, he's making a big deal out of it because he wants you to go back again and again ,and again, this is what they do to kick up their salary, they lie, exaggerate, and **** hard working people in the ass all day ,everyday. 2 people I have hardly any respect for anymore are Docs and Attorneys, I'm sorry if I offended anyone

are you on cycle right now?

Quote Originally Posted by kihop

Yes bp does run in my dads side. Most on that side have died from heart attack. Most on my moms side cancer.
    The toprol is 50mg ed for the first 2 weeks than after that I have 100mg pills im suppose to bump it up to.
    The fact of the situation which I didnt mention to the doctor was (even though he knew I was currently in school) was the I recently failed an exam and have literally not been eating a lot in the last few days because If Im not working out, at school, work, or sleep, Im studying. So yeh situationally its been more than hectic. Prob a combination of that and bad genetics.
    But what really pisses me off is i run and lift about 5 x's a week and I still have to deal with this crap. My dads 350lbs, on 6 different meds, still eats his ass off, but his bp's lower than mine (i know its the meds but im still pissed)

ANd just encase, when the doc puta initials on the blood test sheet that im suppose to give to the blood test place (which are abbreviations for lipids, cholesterol etc.) Is that only what thier legally allowed to test for in the blood? That is, what the doctor requests on the sheet?

Superhuman is offline Banned
    I went to the doc when I 1st hit 220lbs for a physical and my BP was 150/80 which he said was terrible... I thought I was very healthy so I said it had to be wrong. The nurse came in and said "no wonder! you're using the regular cuff, you have to use an XL cuff since he's got big arms!" they used the large cuff and my BP turned out to be normal. Next time, ask them for a large cuff! (assuming you have large arms)

Quote Originally Posted by Superhuman
    I went to the doc when I 1st hit 220lbs for a physical and my BP was 150/80 which he said was terrible... I thought I was very healthy so I said it had to be wrong. The nurse came in and said "no wonder! you're using the regular cuff, you have to use an XL cuff since he's got big arms!" they used the large cuff and my BP turned out to be normal. Next time, ask them for a large cuff! (assuming you have large arms)
    Thats really interesting, but he made me take my fleece off and I had a loose t shirt on underneath. Good point though.

Quote Originally Posted by FranKieC
    How much speed were ya doing?
    About 2-3 gms a day for 1 1/2 years. Did coke/weed/x for a few years prior to learning how to make meth. I know Ill be paying for that shit for the rest of my life. But you live and learn I guess, especially when you think you can start "living" when your 16.

Superhuman is offline Banned
    Thats really interesting, but he made me take my fleece off and I had a loose t shirt on underneath. Good point though.
    yeah, I had no sleeve so it was most definitely the fact that the cuff was too tight. you should check that out and see if it makes a difference for you... i'm sure the doctor is wiser than that though - you'd think 8 years of college would mean something lol

Mobligator is offline Associate Member
    Definitly get off the speed!!! One little trick I find helpful when they're taking my BP, is to "completely" relax your entire body, don't think about getting a BP test and just let your whole body go limp. Think about something that soothing to your mind. It's called "bio feed back" and once you learn to do it you can slow down your heart beat and lower your BP by several points. There have been some people who have learned to do this so well their heart beat couldn't even be detected. Also tell them to check the other arm if the first arm is too high. Many times one arm is higher than the other. I injured my rotator cuff in my right shoulder and it always registers higher than my left arm.

JohnboyF is offline Banned
    Bo,

Why do you need a physical for school?

Dangerdan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stayinstacked
    2 people I have hardly any respect for anymore are . . . Attorneys, I'm sorry if I offended anyone
    I forgive you.

150/90 is high bro. I'm 26 and my bp is about 145/85 when I take it at home. At my doc's office it gets up to 155/100 or so. I would try taking your pressure yourself at one of those machines they have in the grocerystore, etc.

I'm very healthy otherwise and my doc said that it is basically genetic and there isn't much I can do other than get on prescription meds. I'm debating whether or not to get on the meds right now.

LBT
    LBT is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FaizakaFez
    Bo,

So he can run like fun when a wacko kid pulls out an automatic.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobligator
    Definitly get off the speed!!! One little trick I find helpful when they're taking my BP, is to "completely" relax your entire body, don't think about getting a BP test and just let your whole body go limp. Think about something that soothing to your mind. It's called "bio feed back" and once you learn to do it you can slow down your heart beat and lower your BP by several points. There have been some people who have learned to do this so well their heart beat couldn't even be detected. Also tell them to check the other arm if the first arm is too high. Many times one arm is higher than the other. I injured my rotator cuff in my right shoulder and it always registers higher than my left arm.
    Ive been off for 4 years. I meant I "use" to.

Quote Originally Posted by FaizakaFez
    Bo,

They require it, idk why. But they blocked registration for next semester untill I got one.

do you think the speed/coke/x decreased cognitive performance in any way bojangles?

Schmidty is offline Test Is Best!

sorry about the drug ref but its on topic

Quote Originally Posted by justinandrews7
    do you think the speed/coke/x decreased cognitive performance in any way bojangles?
    I would say yes,I did alot of those and shot meth and heroin and smoked alot of rock when i would roll and drink for a while.things like that to alot of damage. and it takes a while for it to recover when i was using i had stage2 hyper tenssion and now that im clean and workout i have pre hyper tenssion
    Last edited by Schmidty; 10-31-2006 at 05:47 PM.

vermin is offline Member
    150/90 is high, but not as high as he is making it out to be. Personally, I would stop the beta-blockers at once and find another doc. Beta-blockers suck the adrenaline out of you, make your life very flat and grey, and in time the effect can not be reversed. If you need anything it is maybe a diuretic or an ACE inhibitor.

BTW, I think they get a trip or something if they write enough scripts for Toprol XL specifically - there is a major incentive push on with the particular drug right now.

Absolutely. When I was young I was naturally gifted at a lot of things. Till this day Ill reread journals I wrote when I was younger and I actually have to look some words up in the dictionary. Its f**ked up to say the least. Not to mention the anxiety issues Ive been battling ever since.

I honestly think the speed was what really caused the most damage. Sure x and coke fries your brain too, but SOO much more slowly compared to speed. Your brain and body get so reved up on it you can sleep straight for a day and a half when you crash. I know plenty of people who did coke and x for a while and are still 100% who they use to be. But def not with speed.

Quote Originally Posted by vermin
    150/90 is high, but not as high as he is making it out to be. Personally, I would stop the beta-blockers at once and find another doc. Beta-blockers suck the adrenaline out of you, make your life very flat and grey, and in time the effect can not be reversed. If you need anything it is maybe a diuretic or an ACE inhibitor.

BTW, I think they get a trip or something if they write enough scripts for Toprol XL specifically - there is a major incentive push on with the particular drug right now.
    Yeh Ive been researching them and thats exactly what is says. The reason why I really didn't dispute the doc was because I've always had a problem with my adrenal glands since I got off speed. They use to literally squeeze out gallons of adrenaline into my bloodstream. Now and days I notice this weird affect like the slightest trigger still causes them overreact and dump loads of adrenaline into my body.

It could be the slightest thing and I get this burning feeling in my chest than my heart will start racing out of nowhere but it happens so severely that I lose my breath. I always *assumed* because speed ***ks with adrenal glands that I've damage them in some way. Because it takes nothing now to set off my "fight or flight" response.

So Im not a doc, but when I heard about beta-blockers blocking adrenaline, and I've always had this preconcieved theory that this was what was wrong with me, it seemed more than worth it for both the bp and the adrenaline inhibition. The thing that scares me is you said it can irreversibly make you flat and grey. So I'm going to research everything you said and next time I go to the doc in 4 weeks Im going to tell him I want off the meds and use the BB's only in extreme high anxiety situations like public speaking. And thanks for all the input people.

lightwaytbaby is offline "Anabolic Reviews Affliction"
    bullshit, ****ing BULLSHIT!!! 150/90 is a tad high for a distolic pressure, but your systolic is average. Many factors can contribute to a higher blood pressure such as lack of sleep, anxiety, diet, etc. What this Dr. is doing is sucking blood out of your wallet or your insurance and ****ing you in the ass for everything your worth. 150/90 is nothing to lose sleep over bro, just try to eat better and do some cardio, you can get that down easy enough on your own, the medication will help some, but it's not like you have to have it. The least he could have done was cleared you for registration and just gave you the ****ing prescription, he's making a big deal out of it because he wants you to go back again and again ,and again, this is what they do to kick up their salary, they lie, exaggerate, and **** hard working people in the ass all day ,everyday. 2 people I have hardly any respect for anymore are Docs and Attorneys, I'm sorry if I offended anyone
    damb, well i guess im going to drop out of med school then...lol

Quote Originally Posted by lightwaytbaby
    damb, well i guess im going to drop out of med school then...lol
    what med school are you going to?

Yes bp does run in my dads side. Most on that side have died from heart attack. Most on my moms side cancer.
    The toprol is 50mg ed for the first 2 weeks than after that I have 100mg pills im suppose to bump it up to.
    The fact of the situation which I didnt mention to the doctor was (even though he knew I was currently in school) was the I recently failed an exam and have literally not been eating a lot in the last few days because If Im not working out, at school, work, or sleep, Im studying. So yeh situationally its been more than hectic. Prob a combination of that and bad genetics.
    But what really pisses me off is i run and lift about 5 x's a week and I still have to deal with this crap. My dads 350lbs, on 6 different meds, still eats his ass off, but his bp's lower than mine (i know its the meds but im still pissed)

ANd just encase, when the doc puta initials on the blood test sheet that im suppose to give to the blood test place (which are abbreviations for lipids, cholesterol etc.) Is that only what thier legally allowed to test for in the blood? That is, what the doctor requests on the sheet?

ok, you have 2 risk factors right off the batt(family hx being VERY important)...im not going to tell u to stop the medication, but maye try and tell your doc u want to try and bring it down w/o meds first.your pressure is considerd to be classified as hypertension, but its not too high, try running, sleeping better and eating better for a couple weeks, and have it rechecked.
    are you taking any anabolic compounds?
    and as far as the drug testing goes, a basic complete blood count, and basic metabolic profile, will not show drug useage, there has to be a specific test ran, usually a serum drug screen.it is also detectable in urine, did u pee in a cup?
    so just consult your doc, and try to bring it down naturally...

WOW. I just reread this thread and realized I somehow missed this post.
    I'm a skeptist to begin so a lot of that rings truth to my ears. HE actually offered to prescribe me paxil too and I told him straight up I WILL NEVER TAKE THAT SHIT AGAIN. I told him how when I got off I was puking for 2 weeks straight and was dizzy and all f**ked up.
    He found out I was on a high dose at the time and offered to start me off a lot lower. I told him "NO WAY". So I can definetly see how a lot of this may be true.The nurse kept saying "your too young for this" and I wanted to punch her in the f**king face. But its my dads doc and he seems to like them.
    Last edited by Bojangles69; 10-31-2006 at 10:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lightwaytbaby
    ok, you have 2 risk factors right off the batt(family hx being VERY important)...im not going to tell u to stop the medication, but maye try and tell your doc u want to try and bring it down w/o meds first.your pressure is considerd to be classified as hypertension, but its not too high, try running, sleeping better and eating better for a couple weeks, and have it rechecked.
    are you taking any anabolic compounds?
    and as far as the drug testing goes, a basic complete blood count, and basic metabolic profile, will not show drug useage, there has to be a specific test ran, usually a serum drug screen.it is also detectable in urine, did u pee in a cup?
    so just consult your doc, and try to bring it down naturally...
    Ok great, at least I here from someone with some kinda background. No anabolics, sleep sucks, and I'm overworked with school, work and exams. always exhausted but still manage to drag myself into the gym and go for a run a *minimum* of 4 times a week.
    The diet has been a little "eat anything you can on the go" type deal. So thanks for all the info, I just got the blood work done today and thats good to know also.

i experimented with x(probably about 12 times) and coke(about twice) a few years ago when i was young and i regret it, i feel i have lost some cognitive power but i think its all in my head.

i experimented with x(probably about 12 times) and coke(about twice) a few years ago when i was young and i regret it, i feel i have lost some cognitive power but i think its all in my head.
    Yeh Id be willing to bet some of that loss is just natural aging, maybe a teensy bit of the x, but everyone does react differently to drugs.

i wonder if there is any remedies to repair neural growth

juicejunkie2 is offline Associate Member
    i wonder if there is any remedies to repair neural growth
    Nope.. as of right now there isn't .. once gone .. it's gone.

Bo, the Beta Blockers also help with the anxiety you get before speeches or whatever by lowering HR (which also helps lower pressure). 150/90 is definitely high BP no doubt about it but the advice others have given you in regards to cardio and diet are excellent .. also stay away from sodium. The doc must get 2 high BP readings 2 weeks apart to Dx you with hypertension so he shouldn't have put you on meds during your initial physical. Have your BP checked again in 2 weeks and if still high then the Beta Blockers are the first line drugs. Try them out along with changing your diet and cardio ... no need to be a hero and "do it yourself naturally" from the getgo ... use the drugs and once you have a grasp on your diet and exercise then consult with the doc to stop taking them.

Ok great, at least I here from someone with some kinda background. No anabolics, sleep sucks, and I'm overworked with school, work and exams. always exhausted but still manage to drag myself into the gym and go for a run a *minimum* of 4 times a week.
    The diet has been a little "eat anything you can on the go" type deal. So thanks for all the info, I just got the blood work done today and thats good to know also.
    first things first, get some sleep at night!!!dont jump into a hardcore diet, but eat cleaner, and watch your sodium intake.that is a sufficent amount of cardio as well.also the beta antagonist will also slightly decrease your mood/intensity, so if you are allready lagging in that area, id stay away from beta blockers...

what med school are you going to?

south fla...

vermin is offline Member
    For your sake, I hope that your intuition about the adrenaline is wrong and a nice cozy ACE inhibitor does the trick. The important thing to remember here is you are looking at a chronic illness - this is not something that will lay you out next week, you have time and should take the time to get the most liveable, least invasive way to deal with it as whatever solution you hit on you may have to stick with it for life.

Thread Information