LBT
    LBT is offline Associate Member

Anyone felt their training partner was holding them back?

Not on purpose or through any fault of their own. Ok, I'll be honest. I'm talking about my girlfriend of 8 years. We live together and train together. I'm sat here waiting for her to come back from work so we can go train. Her working hours fluctuate from day to day and I get frustrated waiting for her when I could be doing my workout, so I can do other things I want to. It's the same when I do my evening cycle ride. Now my fitness has increased, I'm finding that I can't push harder because I leave her behind and feel guilty in doing so. Any thoughts?

lucabratzi is offline Anabolic Member
    yeah i've had a few trainin partners but i hate it...changin weights all the time...them talkin which makes me not listen to music and generally takes me out of the liftin groove i would get in...

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    There is absolutely no point in having a training partner that isnt as serious with training as you are.

If they are less serious they will frustrate you and if you are less serious you will frustrate them.

The worst ****ing thing is the training partner that NEVER shows up in time. I used to train with a guy that was ALWAYS 30-45 minutes late to the gym. I have better things to do than to sit around in the ****ing gym and wait so that didnt last long.

I still miss my workout buddy from high school. Damn that was good times. We only had three things in mind, weights, food and roids.

perfectbeast2001 is offline "king of free stuff" / Retired
    I would never train with my GF. It would annoy the hell outta me. She is a lovely girl but I need testosterone surrounding me in the gym!

Hackamaniac is offline King Without a Crown ~
    I train alone and I think that holds me back from going as heavy as I should..

DHew is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by johan
    We only had three things in mind, weights, food and roids.

Now THATS what im talking about! LOL

BigLittleTim is offline Senior Member
    I only use a training parter for leg day. My "leg buddy" is an absolute psycho about training lower body, so we feed off each others' energy. I can self motivate pretty well for chest, arms, back, etc., only grabbing a friendly spot ,when I'm maxing out, from someone who looks like he knows what the hell he's doing.

Never understood how guys can work-out with their girlfriends. They usually look like they're on a "gym date", not a serious work-out. Lift with a jacked-up roid boy and then meet your sweetheart for dinner afterwards.

-BigLittleTim

firmechicano831 is offline Anabolic Member
    I think my training partner has actually pushed me more than I would by myself.

Rye_guy is offline Member
    I have had a number of trainin partners, all seem to quit and stop after a short time. its getting harder and harder to find a good one, as they all seem to find that Im way further ahead than they are and give up. as if its some kind of competition

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by johan
    There is absolutely no point in having a training partner that isnt as serious with training as you are.

If they are less serious they will frustrate you and if you are less serious you will frustrate them.

The worst ****ing thing is the training partner that NEVER shows up in time. I used to train with a guy that was ALWAYS 30-45 minutes late to the gym. I have better things to do than to sit around in the ****ing gym and wait so that didnt last long.

I still miss my workout buddy from high school. Damn that was good times. We only had three things in mind, weights, food and roids.
    Agree 100 % !

Evil Predator is offline Senior Member
    Nope, my training partner pushes me harder and harder every workout, and I do with him. We never miss workouts, and were always pushing eachother for more. Seeing better gains than ever before.

chest6 is offline Banned
    Your training partner will only hold you back as much as you let him..its not like he forces you to talk..forces you to wait..etc. I will talk to him in between sets..but when its time for my set...music goes on and i focus on gettin hyped...whether if hes still talking to me or not

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chest6
    Your training partner will only hold you back as much as you let him..its not like he forces you to talk..forces you to wait..etc. I will talk to him in between sets..but when its time for my set...music goes on and i focus on gettin hyped...whether if hes still talking to me or not
    I do the same but on back day when you need to do deads, picture you doing over 300+lbs and your partner doing a total of 65lbs (with bar weight) ! There is nothing wrong with it but racking and unracking the plates was a complete waste of time. I did that one time only.

Flagg is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Sometimes I do. Like my training partner is one of my friends and all though he does all the exercises and stuff he DOES NOT EAT. He complains how he wants to look more like me but im getting sick and bored of saying "you HAVE to eat about 6 small meals a day minimum". I've even emailed him a basic starters diet and I know he's eating junk food on the quiet and high sugar drinks.

And yeah, it sucks that I cant bring music to the gym with me now cause he thinks it's me being "anti-social"

Foskamink is offline Banned
    i had a excellent training partner in grade 11. at school for the last 6 months. we would always meet straight after school at the gym, always workout together but not, we would do our own exercises but still alot of the same. it was just like having good company. i never really had a serious training partner or had been serious back then when i was training, but it was alot funner then training alone like i do now.

dedic8ed1 is offline Banned
    Fuk training partners unless they have the same intensiety in the gym as you,The only training partner I need in PANTERAand caffenine

DNoMac is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lucabratzi
    yeah i've had a few trainin partners but i hate it...changin weights all the time...them talkin which makes me not listen to music and generally takes me out of the liftin groove i would get in...
    Yea, my dude is the same way. He def pushes me when I'm lifting, but he's soft and lowers my intensity. I've been making excuses lately to lift by myself.

DNoMac is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chest6
    Exactly what I have been doing. I'll crank my music on while he's in the middle of talking about some bullshit. I felt like a dick at frist, but fvck it, i'm not there to socialize.

Flagg is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Time keeping is a bastard as well.

I usually like to go work out during the hours of 5pm-7pm. It's nearly 7.30pm now and im waiting for my workout buddy to finish work. The amount of times I tell him to be here at a certain time so I can have my pre workout shake 30 mins before the workout. Ergh.

Thread Information