Terinox is offline The One & Only

Urgent Plumbing Related Question

Okay, I have a pipe connected to one of the main lines, so it's running water to the shower, don't ask me how, but I broke it off accidently. It's actually three pipes (small copper) that go into the shower knob to control hot/cold. Anyways, point is I had to shut off the main water line to house and have no water, but it's ONLY those copper ones that are leaking. I have smashed them closed as much as I could with a screw driver and hammer, but it still leaks.

Basically I want to know if there is some kind of special foam (like the expandable kind) that I can put on top of the pipes (that would also stick well) and prevent water leak. I really don't know how long it will take to get a plumber out here to fix it, so if there is a temporary solution, please let me know.

I'm not sure if it is because this is an older house, but NO, I do NOT have a manual shut off FOR JUST the shower, it's old school, and it's all connected, so I had to shut off main water.

Thnx,
    T.

manc is offline Member
    you can get a plastic cap to go over the ends from a hard wear..the pressure holds it in place..not expensive or hard to fit..you would have to cut the pipe at end though cos you flattened it..there called speed fittigs..they do em in brass to

Quote Originally Posted by manc
    you can get a plastic cap to go over the ends from a hard wear..the pressure holds it in place..not expensive or hard to fit..you would have to cut the pipe at end though cos you flattened it..there called speed fittigs..they do em in brass to
    Unfotunetly I can't do that, because there is no more pipe, it goes back into a metal fixture, where the three pipes are split out to begin with. So there is nothing I can do about that.

The only thing I can think of is covering the front that has been smashed. It's basically a metal square with 3 flattened copper tubes on it. I can really only cover it/fill it up with something, and so I was thinking of doing it with expandable foam.

Mobligator is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Terinox
    Unfotunetly I can't do that, because there is no more pipe, it goes back into a metal fixture, where the three pipes are split out to begin with. So there is nothing I can do about that.

The only thing I can think of is covering the front that has been smashed. It's basically a metal square with 3 flattened copper tubes on it. I can really only cover it/fill it up with something, and so I was thinking of doing it with expandable foam.
    Can you get to the pipe where it comes off the main line, like in the basement?
    If not you'll probably have to shut off the main line to the house until you can have it fixed. I use compresion fittings that adapt from copper to PVC pipe and repair my own plumbing instead of paying $50.- $75 an hr for a plumber.

needmorestrength is offline Anabolic Member
    why dont u just cut out the damaged pipe and soder in some new stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by needmorestrength
    why dont u just cut out the damaged pipe and soder in some new stuff?
    Well it was more of an urgent solution for an urgent problem at the time. I have no idea how to do any pipe work, and it will take some time to figure out how much it will cost to get a plumber to fix the problem.

For the mean time, however, I ended up using EPOXY glue mixture, and sealed the pipes, and there is no more water shooting out of the "danger zone," and so all is good now.

Thnx anyways,
    T.

Thread Information