LBT
    LBT is offline Associate Member

Is our destiny written for us, or are we our own masters?

Do you think from birth our lives are 'written' out and everything that has happened and what will happen is set or do we make our own lives from our own decisions, with a bit of coincidence thrown in for good measure?

Mizfit is offline Banned
    nope - because each decisions and life step you take ultimately affects the next.

helium3 is offline Senior Member
    once an action has been taken,theres no going back,but b4 hand there is an infinite number of possibilities,so no my fate isnt written.i determine my reality.

big L 17 is offline Female Member
    no,we make our on decison and how we act to the decison

The OutLord is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by big L 17
    no,we make our on decison and how we act to the decison

I agre to 100%..

-:As You prepare you bed in front of you sleep , You must stay overnight!!

SVTMuscle* is offline Banned
    Yeah we are def the decider's of out destiny. Some people just sit back and let whatever happens to them happen, others go out and make their future. It goes back to the 'leaders and followers', those who are leaders make their destiny, those who are followers just take what is given. And that, is not good enough for me.

Ufa
    Ufa is offline Anabolic Member
    A little of each.

Andy Thai is offline Banned
    Different people believe different things, whichever you believe is true.

Generally people from Christian based cultures believe in cause and effect, where as for example people from Buddhist based cultures believe life is mapped out.

Personally I believe I can control my destiny, and it will generally be very good...........which generally it is!

Andy Thai

mavsluva is offline "Gone but not forgotten" 10/11/07
    We all have the ability to make our own decisions. We can also attempt to dictate our own futures by making decisions for ourselves accordingly. But, there will come a time when these efforts to be who we want ourselves to be will result in unhappiness. Being who we want to be and striving to be like someone else will always keep us wanting more. It is when we become obedient within our own character that we become happy with who we are. And if you're not exploiting what you were equipped with from the moment of creation, then you're not being YOU!

Each and every one of us is completely unique. Additionally, each and every one of us has a different purpose on this side of the grave. We were all given special gifts that make us unique. It is when we are able to identify these unique gifts and then use them to our advantage that we will fullfill our purpose on Earth. Our bodies are merely seeds (or deposits) of who we are in the after life. The decisions we make to today will define our lifes and that will dictate what we're rewarded with on the other side of the grave.

Phreak101 is offline Anabolic Member
    Decisions are based on causality, cause and effect. You, as a cognitive human being, have been blessed in being able to comprehend the effect before you create the cause. Hence, you write your own story.

However, time is only as solid as the laws of physics. Time has also been known to break down. If there is no time, there is no causality (cause and effect). If there is no causality, there is no choice. If there is no choice, there is nothing but fate.

Tough question!

Andy Thai is offline Banned
    Some people believe in fate!

tiger909 is offline Senior Member
    idk if u like philosophy too, but this is a good long read on the topic

http://www.marxists.org/reference/ar...ist/sartre.htm

QuieTSToRM33 is offline Anabolic Member
    i do what i want, when i want ... nothing is mapped out for me

collar is offline Anabolic Member
    its mix of both i believe.

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    Its all just a random chain of events. When we realy start thinking about how the small totaly unpredictable things effect life.
    We seem able to controll some of the biggest aspects of life, what education we get, what we want to work with.

But the realy important things like finding love and so on are so random that we have no controll. Many of the biggest descisions in my life are totaly based on random events that I had certainly not planned.

I got into physics because of a astronomy book I got in second grade as a christmas gift from my sister.

I got into training because I was fortunate enough to end up in the right schoolclass in grade 7 when I switched school. If I hadnt choosen that one I would not have made friends with the guys that made me start to train.

I picked the university I started study at by the simple fact that I got a brochure from it in my mail.

I met my girlfriend totaly randomly on a dating site and that made me move and switch university.

All the things that have been important in my life has been because of random events.

l2elapse is offline That don't kill me, can only make me stronger
    i think it comes down to belief in a higher power being in control of your life. I believe God knows everything I will do so I think my life is already planned. AT the moment every decision i will make but he will already know it so it is mapped out

CSAR is offline AR's Cunning Linguist
    No fate but what we make. T2

Quote Originally Posted by justinandrews7
    i think it comes down to belief in a higher power being in control of your life. I believe God knows everything I will do so I think my life is already planned. AT the moment every decision i will make but he will already know it so it is mapped out
    God knows all paths, but only you know which one you will take

This answer is plausible scientifically as well

ect0m0rph is offline Member
    I think that God is helping us make decisions but we are ultimately the deciders of our destiny. I feel we have free agency to do what we want, and except the rewards and consequences that come from them. Just my opinion

collar is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ect0m0rph
    I think that God is helping us make decisions but we are ultimately the deciders of our destiny. I feel we have free agency to do what we want, and except the rewards and consequences that come from them. Just my opinion
    correct.

Quote Originally Posted by ect0m0rph
    well God is all knowing so he already knows every decision we are going to make. Yes we all make our own decisions but since he already knows everything and has the path for us, it is already mapped out

well God is all knowing so he already knows every decision we are going to make. Yes we all make our own decisions but since he already knows everything and has the path for us, it is already mapped out
    This is flawed logic. What is the point of you making decisions if they are already mapped out? With that attitude, you might as well become a Nihilist and not believe in anything since nothing you do really makes any difference. I still say a more logical explanation is God knows all paths, but only you know the path you will take.

Quote Originally Posted by Phreak101
    This is flawed logic. What is the point of you making decisions if they are already mapped out? With that attitude, you might as well become a Nihilist and not believe in anything since nothing you do really makes any difference. I still say a more logical explanation is God knows all paths, but only you know the path you will take.

ok then are you saying God doesnt know the path i am going to take?

[/B]

ok then are you saying God doesnt know the path i am going to take?
    No, He does not. And he admits he does not by giving you thee Free Will to choose. If you don't want to use religion, then use science. An omnipotent God could exist outside time and space, and if he could jump in and out of it, he would be truly omnipotent because he could be everywhere at anytime. BUT, he could not know what's going on inside your head at any given moment.

ebjack is offline Senior Member
    How can freewill coexist with divine preordination?

Read that in the funnies today...thought it was cool

Quote Originally Posted by Phreak101
    No, He does not. And he admits he does not by giving you thee Free Will to choose. If you don't want to use religion, then use science. An omnipotent God could exist outside time and space, and if he could jump in and out of it, he would be truly omnipotent because he could be everywhere at anytime. BUT, he could not know what's going on inside your head at any given moment.
    ok well in the Bible that statement is false

Mobligator is offline Associate Member
    Here's a little philosophy you might find interesting if not enlightening. It's from the great philospher 'Solomon' as he wrote in the book of Ecclesiastes 9:11.

New Living Translation (NLT)

I have observed something else under the sun. The fastest runner doesn’t always win the race, and the strongest warrior doesn’t always win the battle. The wise sometimes go hungry, and the skillful are not necessarily wealthy. And those who are educated don’t always lead successful lives. It is all decided by chance, by being in the right place at the right time.

ok well in the Bible that statement is false
    Well if we're going by the bible, see the above quote from the funnies. Otherwise I dont know what to tell ya!

sonar1234 is offline Banned
    I have a hard time beleiving there is a god at all or even jesus for that matter, after 2006 years there is still no solid proof but a bible that has been arranged and re-arragned again.

I do beleive in the theory of the Davinci code

chuck89gt5.0 is offline Senior Member
    The bottom line is that NO ONE really knows this question except the big man upstairs....

Quote Originally Posted by sonar1234
    I have a hard time beleiving there is a god at all or even jesus for that matter, after 2006 years there is still no solid proof but a bible that has been arranged and re-arragned again.

I do beleive in the theory of the Davinci code
    The message, not the men, is what counts

scriptfactory is offline Anabolic Member
    Any Christian that believes God knows exactly what we are going to do might as well not be a Christian. He might as well have made us puppets because that is what we would be. There would be no such thing as free will. The choice is ours. He shows us the paths and which path he wants us to choose but it is up to us to either walk with or go against Him...

Foskamink is offline Banned
    my life is completely mapped out...
    i have the destiny to become completely jacked

Thread Information